Give me some good news! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2008, 2:49 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Give me some good news!

I just bought my first BMW and I'm picking it up in Minneapolis this Friday. I live in the Akron, Ohio area.
Got a deal I couldn't pass up on an '07 GT. I rode one earlier at a dealer and loved the test ride, although short. Rode an '06 RT earier in the day and liked the GT better. I had a '93 ST1100 that I just sold two days ago. I wanted to stick to the sport/touring because that's what I enjoy, but I wanted something a little sportier than another ST. The FJR was a consideration, but compared the GT, it felt like a sport bike with bags.
Well, after saying all that, I'll get to the point. I bought the GT in spite of some of the horror stories; final drive, EWS, airbox, hesitation, surging, etc. I'm hoping that I don't regret it. Just looking for some feedback on what a great choice I made. Reading some of the posts (especially on ST and FJR forums) I feel like I should be holding my breath all the way home and have the BMW roadside service number tattooed permanently on my hand. I don't think that these problems would be getting the attention that they are getting if it weren't for the pricieness of BMW's. Also, some of the gloating from owners of other manufacturers' bikes has got to be due to a little sour grapes.
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I bought it, can't wait to pick it up and plan my first trip; just wanted to hear from the happy satisfied owners.
Here's a consideration, the GT has 138 miles on it and it's probably close to 800 miles home. Do I pull off on the shoulder of the tollway in Chicago and change the oil when I hit 600 miles? Actually, I've spoken to a Cleveland dealer and he said that it would be OK but try to keep it under a 1000.
Looking forward to the comments. Get used to my wordy messages if I frequent this board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2008, 3:05 pm
Veteran

Hi. I am up to the wordy post challenge (or at least I am used to it!).
I don't have anything to offer but an understanding ear. I am also picking up a NEW 07 GT this Friday! Same sort of feelings, coming off of my bullet-proof K75S and onto a GT, yeah what a RIDE! Can't wait!
I am in southern WI, where did you buy the bike? And I see you are in Ohio, so driving down through there, there is a BMW dealer in Barrington IL. If you wanted to get picky and have the 600 service done, maybe they can arrange for it. But no idea how long it takes, what if they find something they want to fix and might open a can of worms. I guess if you explain that to them they will keep anything really "exploratory" in nature to a minimum, maybe just see if they'll do an oil change only? If you have a favored BMW shop near where you live, I'd consider just driving the extra miles and get it done at home.

Gilly

edit, sorry I see you saif minnie-apples on the pickup, to Akron OH, Barrington might be about the right place, not sure what your timing would be like, would they be open and time to do it? I think you are thinking about the same as me, 600 miles, but it's an 07 bike and the oil might need a change just based on TIME, usually they want an oil change at least once a year, and depending on build date you might be creeping up on 2 yr old oil......
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2008, 3:05 pm

My sense is the 600 checkup is more about addressing vibration related issues befor they become major issues, checking for unusual component wear....basically try to get in front of potential warranty issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2008, 3:06 pm
Veteran

30k in and it's ALL GOOD. Love this bike.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2008, 3:38 pm

21k - only new brake pads and services needed - runs like a sewing machine.
Dave

If it's not fun - your doing it wrong !!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2008, 3:49 pm
Veteran

If any of the others on different brands give you any flack, just ask them "Why'd you buy the girl's model?"

Enjoy the new bike and don't drop it 'cause it'll cost ya.

Mack
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2008, 3:49 pm
Addict-oholic

My 2006 is running perfectly after replacing the airbox. I did my first oil change at 900 and then at 7000. Love the bike. You will too!!

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2008, 6:16 pm

No issues here

Picked my 08 Gt up in late November 07; now with over 13000 miles no issues - zilch, zippo, nada...

Stranded once with this bike: flat front tire, didn't have my kit with me (BMW Roadside Assistance was easy to work with, and got me & the bike to the dealership within 4 hours from the booneys).

Yes, some have reported issues, but I haven't had any - had the new airbox installed & ECU reflash done 'preventatively,' and had the EWS antenna replaced same way.

Not too many people feel the need to post on an Internet board "My GT is running great - no problems", so you're more likely to read only bad stuff, which can skew the picture

-----
His: 2012 K1600GT
Hers: 2008 Buell Blast (for sale) & 2009 Ducati Monster 696
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2008, 8:52 pm
Rookie

Bought my 06 used with 4000 miles in Cleveland this May. Flew out in the AM and drove back to Whitewater WI same day. 6000 miles later, one set of tires oil change and I can't get enough. Very impressed, built like a tank, just ride it!!!!!!!!!

Raymond
2006 K1200GT
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2008, 9:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylenowannabe
I just bought my first BMW and I'm picking it up in Minneapolis this Friday. I live in the Akron, Ohio area.
Got a deal I couldn't pass up on an '07 GT. I rode one earlier at a dealer and loved the test ride, although short. Rode an '06 RT earier in the day and liked the GT better. I had a '93 ST1100 that I just sold two days ago. I wanted to stick to the sport/touring because that's what I enjoy, but I wanted something a little sportier than another ST. The FJR was a consideration, but compared the GT, it felt like a sport bike with bags.
Well, after saying all that, I'll get to the point. I bought the GT in spite of some of the horror stories; final drive, EWS, airbox, hesitation, surging, etc. I'm hoping that I don't regret it. Just looking for some feedback on what a great choice I made. Reading some of the posts (especially on ST and FJR forums) I feel like I should be holding my breath all the way home and have the BMW roadside service number tattooed permanently on my hand. I don't think that these problems would be getting the attention that they are getting if it weren't for the pricieness of BMW's. Also, some of the gloating from owners of other manufacturers' bikes has got to be due to a little sour grapes.
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I bought it, can't wait to pick it up and plan my first trip; just wanted to hear from the happy satisfied owners.
Here's a consideration, the GT has 138 miles on it and it's probably close to 800 miles home. Do I pull off on the shoulder of the tollway in Chicago and change the oil when I hit 600 miles? Actually, I've spoken to a Cleveland dealer and he said that it would be OK but try to keep it under a 1000.
Looking forward to the comments. Get used to my wordy messages if I frequent this board.
I live in the Minneapolis area. Depending on timing I'd be willing to be there when you pick up for a quick briefing on the ups and downs. I'm picking my '06 up that day from Moon motors in St. Cloud where she's getting her 12,000 mi. service.

Send me a private message with details if interested.

Jeff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode