Picked up the GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2008, 9:24 am Thread Starter
Noob

Picked up the GT

Picked up my GT north of Stillwater, MN. Nothing is ever real simple and vanilla it seems.
Rode to La Crosse and put about 170 miles on it. It now has 300 miles. Later this week almost a 700 mile ride home. Puts me over 1000. Sure wish the manual (like Gilly mentioned) would say what had to be done at the intervals. I'll probably call a dealer and see if I can work out something.

Here's the weird, interesting, challenging part. The guy I bought this from seems like a genuinely nice guy. Also, extremely wealthy, busy, and somewhat distracted. He show me a receipt for over $1100 worth of work he had done by some performance shop. It sure looks to me like he has a Power Commander put on. He says no, because he couldn't find one. Well, I call the place and they kind of laugh because the guy doesn't even know what he bought. He thought that he just had new SW loaded. The thing is, it's a Power Commander for the older GT's but the guy at the shop knows how to make them work for the new ones. He also gives me a copy of the dyno print outs. The thing ran great in the 170 miles, no surging, hesitation or other things mentioned. The little complication is that I really don't think that I want to take it to a BMW shop with the PC installed. Why? Well, a little quirk of making it work on the '07 is that it throws up a permanent engine electronics error. Nothing really wrong, the computer just sees something as not being right due to the PC. I don't want BMW claiming that I voided the warranty. If I was home I would just pull it off and then take it to the shop and avoid the problem. But I would like the service done (again, because I don't want to be hassled by BMW) before reaching 1000 miles.

I'll probably call a dealer tomorrow and ask them what's involved. Maybe change the oil myself and take it to them after I get home for the rest, whatever that may be. Does anyone know?

BTW, before I leave, the seller tells me, "I have a helmet you can have if you want it." Heck, I don't turn down anything for free. He brings out a never used, protective plastic still on the shield Shoei RF-1000 and gives it to me. Then he says, "Do you need a riding suit? I've got a new one that I don't need now." He comes out with an Aerostich Roadcrafter pants and jacket and gives that to me. I check the Aerostich catalog and it sells for $847! And it fits. In a way, it almost makes me nervous because stuff like this just doesn't happen to me. I should just shut up and enjoy it. I'm just genetically predisposed to worrying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2008, 10:27 am
Strafist

The 600 mile check is in oil change, rear drive lube change, throw it on the Moditec and make sure nothing has physically come loose. You can do all that (except the Moditect) and not lose any warranty. Just keep a log of your work and receipts for the oil.

Buy a GS-911, it will tell you what's happening with the bike.

I wouldn't pull the Power Commander, lots of us are just dying to have one.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2008, 10:59 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thank you for the feedback.

GS-911?

Yeah, I really don't want to pull the Power Commander. I've only put on 170 miles, some Interstate and some two lane state highways in western WI and I have no complaint at all so far about performance. Very smooth and responsive in every gear and every range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2008, 11:49 am
Strafist

And if you pull the Power Commander, you'll have to learn how to ride thru the flat spots of the fueling. I promise you, you'll be mucho happier leaving it on. I'm begging Hank, at Rhinewest, to develop something.

GS-911- http://www.hexcode.co.za/

BTW, this looks interesting: http://www.powerfrkusa.net/ and I think I'm going to try it. The only prob is it enrichens across the band, instead of being tunable where you need it. But, hey, a cheap fix for now.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2008, 6:05 pm

Brian,

Gosh, now I really wish I could have been there on Friday for the pickup. It would have been uber cool to see the PC on a GT. Would have been cool also to see the guy that gives up the RF-1000 and RoadCrafter as an afterthought.

Glad to hear the ride home was enjoyable and uneventful.

Personally, I'd get that PC removed to maintain the warranty. You can always put it back on after the warranty runs out. This bike can be really expensive if something breaks and you pay for it.

BTW, what shop did the work? I'd like to ride over there for a chat.

Jeff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode