Noise from the clutch? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2008, 7:42 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Noise from the clutch on 07GT?

I've just returned from a tour of the Spanish Pyrenees and French WW1/2 battlefields.

Whilst I was very impressed with the performance, comfort and economy of the GT, an irritating noise began to manifest itself when the engine was hot.

Basically when pulling away in 1st gear, especially on a hill or in heavy traffic when the clutch has to be slipped slightly, I get a grating noise from the clutch area and a vibration on the clutch lever.

The bike is still under warranty I am taking it to the dealer to listen to in the next couple of days.

Is this a known fault with the GT or have I just been unlucky. The bike is an ex demonstrator that may have had the clutch abused in the 4500m before I got it.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Mike

It's not where you go that counts, it's how you get there

Last edited by Miker0_0; Aug 19th, 2008 at 8:05 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2008, 7:49 am
Enthusiast

It's a known issue on the new K-series. There has been a modification on the clutch actuating pin, that allows better oil supply to the clutch. Mine's replaced a year ago for the same problem. It now only returns on few occasions and not as bad as it was.

Grtz,
Erwin

'14 R1200GS Adventure LC - Racing Red uni matt - full options - Nav V ... where the road ends Adventure begins ...
'13 320dA Touring - Mineralgrau metallic ... Freude am Fahren ...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2008, 10:39 am
Sooper Dooper Moderator

My son has a fairly recent build '07 with about 4K on it, and his makes an awful noise. His has the updates already. BMW responded to his local dealer stating that it was a known issue, no harm is being done, and there is no solution. Needless to say, he was unhappy with that answer and so am I. His dealership is stepping up and intends to ask BMW to tear down the bike and check tolerances, etc, and fix or replace whatever is necessary, even if they have to pay for it themselves. That's the right dealer response, in my book. If you bought a new BMW car and it did that, no one would think of asking you to live with that noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2008, 11:49 am
Enthusiast

Garage
Just got my GT back from service for the "standard" GT things plus the 12,000 mile check

Clutch noise - Actuating pin, you can feel the roughness as you rotate/move the old part ,so far quiet (230 miles since fix)

EWS antenna - (There are lots of places north of Lake Superior with no cell service, it was nice that this has been a non event)
New Air Box & Software - at 10,000 miles, the BBS, HI and stalling started to be more frequent but only above 86F ambient. (We know Grif would like it this cool, but then he doesn't have a riding season like we do)

Changed rear diff. oil at service (relatively clean)

Seems like a brand new bike now (especially enjoyable, after the loaner, a 92 LT with 125,000 miles, it had issues but that is another story)

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2008, 4:13 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj7840

Seems like a brand new bike now (especially enjoyable, after the loaner, a 92 LT with 125,000 miles, it had issues but that is another story)
Was it the Red one from Grand Rapids BMW? The one with a big empty hole where the radio is supposed to go? I had that one for a loaner once while they were working on my LT.

Current horses in the stable

'07 K1200GT
'07 R1200GS
'03 F650CS
'01 R1100RTP
'93 K1100LT
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2008, 11:19 am
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbushey
Was it the Red one from Grand Rapids BMW? The one with a big empty hole where the radio is supposed to go? I had that one for a loaner once while they were working on my LT.
No, it was the black one with 130,000 miles, and skid marks on the sides.
Sometimes it ran great, sometimes it would run great for 10 minutes than need to rest for 4-5 minutes at 2000 rpm or less, than it would start to run OK again.

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode