Added dealer charge - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2008, 9:18 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Added dealer charge

So when I got my GT 2 years ago, it was MSRP.

Now I'm thinking of adding a GSA and a different dealer wants an additional 500 for prep charges. I said no. As I remember from the GT the MSRP covered prep. In fact thats what the Maronni sticker claimed........

Thoughts?

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2008, 6:57 am

Dealer Charges

Any "dealer charges" are negotiable. I typically negotiate what I want to pay 'out the door' (OTD) and they can add all the crap they want, as long as my OTD price stays the same...

Some dealerships will deal, others won't; I don't do business with those that don't.

-----
His: 2012 K1600GT
Hers: 2008 Buell Blast (for sale) & 2009 Ducati Monster 696
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2008, 9:19 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amzarinelli
Any "dealer charges" are negotiable. I typically negotiate what I want to pay 'out the door' (OTD) and they can add all the crap they want, as long as my OTD price stays the same...

Some dealerships will deal, others won't; I don't do business with those that don't.
I did the same thing when I bought my GT - we agreed on how much the check would be. After that, I had to help them with the math to get it to come out to the agreed total.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2008, 9:10 pm
Noob

There's a really creepy big-4/Duc dealership near here (not a BMW dealer) that I'll refer to as "Squidmart." Squidmart puts prominent red tags that indicate the MSRP, destination/freight, and setup charges that add up to their asking price. I noticed that the destination/freight and setup charges were different for different Ducatis. The charges were hundreds more for an S4RS than for an S2R, and astronomcally higher for a bike like a 1098R (like $1700!) Clearly, thy base their fees on a percentage of the MSRP. I asked the sales reptile how the fees could be so different, considering that all Ducatis come from the same shipping dock in Italy, in the same size box, and are essentially the same weight. And why did it cost $1000 to set up a 1098S vs. $650 for a low-end Monster. With a shop rate of $90/hr, that's over 11 hours of setup time!!!

When I pointed out how rediculous this was, the sales guy told me (a) "obviously, those fees are negotiable" and (b) "clearly, you are an experienced buyer who wouldn't have to pay those fees" and (c) "hey... it's capitalism... we have to try, don't we?"

As I tell my students... Being stupid is expensive.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2008, 2:21 pm Thread Starter
Addict

I'd almost feel better about it if they just said. "hey this the Bay Area" stuff is more expensivehere so we charge a bit more than say podunk BMW...... I dunno. BUt to just flat out lie and tell me that was a setup charge was not part of the MSRP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbbeck
There's a really creepy big-4/Duc dealership near here (not a BMW dealer) that I'll refer to as "Squidmart." Squidmart puts prominent red tags that indicate the MSRP, destination/freight, and setup charges that add up to their asking price. I noticed that the destination/freight and setup charges were different for different Ducatis. The charges were hundreds more for an S4RS than for an S2R, and astronomcally higher for a bike like a 1098R (like $1700!) Clearly, thy base their fees on a percentage of the MSRP. I asked the sales reptile how the fees could be so different, considering that all Ducatis come from the same shipping dock in Italy, in the same size box, and are essentially the same weight. And why did it cost $1000 to set up a 1098S vs. $650 for a low-end Monster. With a shop rate of $90/hr, that's over 11 hours of setup time!!!

When I pointed out how rediculous this was, the sales guy told me (a) "obviously, those fees are negotiable" and (b) "clearly, you are an experienced buyer who wouldn't have to pay those fees" and (c) "hey... it's capitalism... we have to try, don't we?"

As I tell my students... Being stupid is expensive.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2008, 10:03 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard
Now I'm thinking of adding a GSA and a different dealer wants an additional 500 for prep charges.

Thoughts?
Maybe he used to be a Harely dealer?

Mike

2011 T100 Bonneville Black
06 Black Griso
06 Yellow KR - SOLD
02 Z-Rex (Green of course)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 10:42 am
Noob

no costs normally spoken

my dealer asked 25 EUROs, but that included the additional paperwork for a non standard inscription and administration process here in Belgium. extra (hidden) costs are just plain wrong.

K1200GT Aventurinsilver 5.4 average. Long live the german Autobahn
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2008, 11:49 am

Had time to kill, so stopped by the local Honda dealer for a replacement van for the wife. Their additional sticker included: $160 for 4 locking lug nuts, 200 for mud flaps, and then 1,000 for market place demand. With 15 identical vans sitting there, demand may not be as great as they think.

MSRP includes a lot of dealer profit, those adding on top of it are slime balls looking for sheep to shear.

Terry

2007 K1200 GT
1998 R1100 RT traded in

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode