Pining for my RT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2008, 9:45 am Thread Starter

Pining for my RT

What is this affliction for wanting something different?

Lately, I find myself missing the smooth shifting, better handling(flickability), wind protection and comfort of my 1200RT.

Don't get me wrong, I like the GT, but I think I am realizing that I'm an RT guy. I may do a deal on an 08 demo I have my eye on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2008, 10:12 am
Cruisin the MidAtlantic joyfully

Good luck in therapy. Keep us posted on your progress.

wintermute
'08 BMW K1200GT
'10 Ducati 1198 S Corse
'10 Ducati Streetfighter S
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 1:10 am
Enthusiast

Have a demo ride and you will probably find that it feels very different to what you remember when you go straight from the GT. It is different again when you go from the RT back to the GT.

When I had an R1200RT loan bike while my GT was being serviced one time, I thought the gear change felt smoother when I got on the RT. However, getting back onto the GT the gearbox felt like butter compared with the RT. The GT also felt way smaller due to the lack of wide plastic in front of you.

It is a very interesting experience and worth doing when you go past a BMW dealer.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 2:34 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobD
Have a demo ride and you will probably find that it feels very different to what you remember when you go straight from the GT. It is different again when you go from the RT back to the GT.

When I had an R1200RT loan bike while my GT was being serviced one time, I thought the gear change felt smoother when I got on the RT. However, getting back onto the GT the gearbox felt like butter compared with the RT. The GT also felt way smaller due to the lack of wide plastic in front of you.

It is a very interesting experience and worth doing when you go past a BMW dealer.
At my 6000 mi service, my dealer let me take my '05 RT as a loaner. I had traded it in and it was still in the showroom. I always thought the RT was more comfortable than the GT, but soon realized that my impression was wrong - cilimbing back on the RT made me realize that I had the GT set up better for my size and riding style. When I hit the road, my first question was "where's the power?", my second question was "what's all this vibration?". In my mind, the RT created a windless area behind the screen, but although the RT was somewhat quieter, it was not a night and day difference (I have a Ztechnic on the GT). As far as handling, the lighter RT may be easier to maneuver in traffic, but it is a less stable ride in the twisties and high speed sweepers. The GT wins hands down in this category. The RT wins the smoother shifting award, though.

So I agree, what you "remember" from a previous bike, like the RT, might be distorted when trying to compare with a new bike. I would definitely do a long demo ride and see what your impressions are then.

Steve Sylvester
Paso Robles, Ca

'08 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode