GT Left Side Wiring Connector - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2008, 9:50 am Thread Starter
Veteran

GT Left Side Wiring Connector

Let's say, hypothetically, that all of the switches on the left side handlebar fail. Those switches include: high beam, cruise control, ESA, left turn signal, horn, etc.

Let's also say that the ASC switch works. The ASC switch is on its own pod on the left handlebar.

Question: Do the left handlebar wires all terminate into a single connector that might have (hypothetically) pulled out?

If so, where is that connector hidden, and can I get to it without removing a side panel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2008, 4:56 pm
Veteran

I just checked mine, which doesn't have ASC. I have 3 wire conduits. One is obviously for the left heated grip. One goes to the clutch lever area, which I wouldguess is for the clutch switch. The biggest one goes to the control switches, which I think you are asking about.
I would guess, without having a manual (YET) that it probably is going to a control unit which is on the CAN data bus. The vehicles I am used to would use something called a SAM (system acquisition module). I am guessing that is where the main wires lead to and probably where the problem is. Likelyhood of not removing the side panel slightly less than zilch.
Gilly (til I get the manual I can only guess but maybe this reply will get the ball rolling)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2008, 11:35 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 7:25 am
Rookie

Did yours quit?
My 07' same thing..Replaced once, now horn faulted again as I approached a road kill with 3 buzzards on it at speed of sound....not fun
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 11:26 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by odsmissmaggie
Did yours quit?
My 07' same thing..Replaced once, now horn faulted again as I approached a road kill with 3 buzzards on it at speed of sound....not fun
Well, yes. I had recall work (EWS antenna and steering damper) done on the GT. I came back at the end of the day, signed the paperwork, left the GT parked untouched, and went into the sales area to look at a few things and say hello to a friend. When I was ready to go, the left side switches (except ASC) were dead, but by then the service department people were gone for the day. I knew it had to be a common connector that was disconnected, but couldn't reach it from the outside. I didn't know which panel to remove, and truthfully, I wasn't in the mood to remove an entire panel with the small hand tool under the seat, so I took the loaner bike home and picked up the GT the next day.

Root Cause (according to the service manager):
During or after the check ride, the technician noticed that the left panel needed adjusting or tightening. He made the adjustment after he returned and accidentally knocked the connector out. I don't blame him for not doing another check ride after a simple adjustment like that.

Contributory Cause, and Lesson Learned:
I should have given the bike a quick check first, while the service people were still there. If you have other business, do it after confirming that your bike is in working order.

Left as an Exercise for the Student:
The next time I have the left panel off, I want a look at that connector. I am curious to know how much force it takes to knock it loose. I would also like to know whether there is some type of positive latch that keeps it in place, where you must "unlock" it to remove the connector.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode