Some personal advice please - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 8:33 am Thread Starter
Addict

Some personal advice please

guys i made my retirement plan. i'm 50, will work for other 5 years max. planned to relocate, either in germany or us. in your opinion, where is the best to live in the states and do nothing, also where is the best to live and run a small business? i am familiar with the us, been there many times last 20 years, but only to florida, california and new york, where my business took me. i am sure there are other areas that must worth attention. as far as germany concerns, opted for bavaria. have to decide and buy a property in advance. in the us seems to be a good moment.
thanks for any oppinion.

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
former and future k owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 9:59 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doru-in-Romania
guys i made my retirement plan. i'm 50, will work for other 5 years max. planned to relocate, either in germany or us. in your opinion, where is the best to live in the states and do nothing, also where is the best to live and run a small business? i am familiar with the us, been there many times last 20 years, but only to florida, california and new york, where my business took me. i am sure there are other areas that must worth attention. as far as germany concerns, opted for bavaria. have to decide and buy a property in advance. in the us seems to be a good moment.
thanks for any oppinion.
Salut Doru! Bine ati venit a Statele Unite!

That's an open-ended question, if ever I saw one. It is like asking "who should I marry?"

The USA is a very large and diverse country. There are so many wonderful places to live. People here move from one place to another, perhaps more often than other countries.
Distances in the USA are truly vast, particularly in the western states.

It is impossible to make a suggestion, because we don't know what you are looking for. Urban? Rural? Forest? Desert? Mountains? ...

Considering your interest in motorcycle riding, I suggest that you look at the southern states, where year-round riding is common. The desert regions are dry and very very hot (45-50 C) in summer. The southeastern region is very humid in summer. The coastal regions of California have excellent weather for someone who likes riding, but the cost of living is high and it is quite crowded, with heavy traffic.

Another consideration might be finding a home near one of the many communities of Romanians who live here, so you can find friends who share your language and culture. There are Romanian Consulates in Los Angeles and New York, and many honorary consulates throughout the US. Try contacting the honorary consulate or some of the many Romanian churches in the areas that interest you.

Cu respect,

XMagnaRider
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 10:15 am
Veteran

Quote:
....... where is the best to live in the states and do nothing......
Isn't this part of our problem now?

Yes, please....CA, NY, or FL. Those are the best places to go.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 10:18 am
Veteran

I agree with Magnarider. Too diverse of a place, need more information on what other interests you have. If you want to ride more, move south, if you want a winter season, you need to move north, if you like more winter activities, plus good summer riding, probably Colorado, great world-class skiing to keep you busy and great roads that others in the US have to ride for a couple of days to get to. Myself I like the change in seasons and generally a safe area in the continent we have in Wisconsin. Of course we had much flooding this year, but generally we don't worry too much about crime, probably no earthquake or forest fire will be wiping out many homes, nice people, good riding areas, some winter activities, and don't have days and days of temps over 100F. It is similar in topography to Bavaria, except for the lack of the Alps. There is a reason Wisconsin was popular with the German, Swiss, and Norwegians back in the 1800s, reminded them of home.
Gilly
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 10:27 am Thread Starter
Addict

salut xmagna rider.
actually i do not look for native romanians, i work for about 25 years in international trade, my friends and contacts are all nationalities, so the issue of language, culture...etc does not exist. i am home in far east as well as in the us, eu or in my home here in romania. i only speak romanian at home, all day long dealing in english with my suppliers. i am looking for a more unspoiled natural area, not crowded, no major city but not 100% rural. no way desert. i like both ca and fl, traveled all way up and down there, ca is nice but crowded indeed and expensive like hell, fl very beautiful but only few months a year, the rest is hot and humid. i saw different movies with large beautiful landscapes with forests, lakes, good twisty roads. a small town in such an area is what i look for. been to ny a dozen times at list, great city for everything but not for living imo, sorry new yorkers.

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1

Last edited by Doru-in-Romania; Aug 23rd, 2008 at 11:29 am.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 10:58 am
Veteran

Quote:
salut xmagna rider.
actually i do not look for native romanians, i work for about 25 years in international trade, my friends and contact are all nationalities, so the issue of language, culture...etc does not exist. i am home in far east as well as in the us, eu or in my home here in romania. i only speak romanian at home, all day long dealing in english with my suppliers. i am looking for a more unspoiled natural area, not crowded, no major city but not 100% rural. no way desert. i like both ca and fl, traveled all way up and down there, ca is nice but crowded indeed and expensive like hell, fl very beautiful but only few months a year, the rest is hot and humid. i saw different movies with large beautiful landscapes with forests, lakes, good twisty roads. a small town in such an area is what i look for. been to ny a dozen times at list, great city for everything but not for living imo, sorry new yorkers.
Using your location description only, Colorado or Northern California would be hard to beat, but you have to like some snow.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 2:06 pm
Enthusiast

personal advice

Doru
I would look at western North Carolina (Asheville/Hendersonville area), eastern Tennessee (Knoxville) and western S.C. (Greeneville). The climate is quite nice and the winters are mild compared to more northern locations. In addition, I would look at northern Arizona (Flagstaff), Southern Utah (St. George, Cedar City), Northern New Mexico (Albuquerque/Santa Fe), and Southern Oregon (Medford area). California would be great but you are right it is expensive and crowded. However, the San Luis Obispo/Santa Maria/Paso Robles areas could be a nice compromise.

'05 R1200RT, Ruby, as in RED, (current garage queen)
'04 R1150RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto, '93 Seca II, '93 K1100RS, '83 Yamaha Maxim 750,
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 3:23 pm
Veteran

How about seasonal changes, are you OK with snow and cold, or rather have temperate climate year round? Would make a difference in the recommendations.
Gilly
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2008, 1:16 am Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
How about seasonal changes, are you OK with snow and cold, or rather have temperate climate year round? Would make a difference in the recommendations.
Gilly
we have temperate climate here, with four seasons, have snow in the winter 3 months/year with temperatures under 0C (-5-15). don't mind winter but also don't like snow that much, i have a weak knee due to an accident (football not bike) while younger, probably some surgery needed soon. i prefer a mild climate but temperate also ok.

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2008, 8:31 am
Veteran

When you said that I immediately thought of Kentucky/Tennessee/Carolinas area. Any possibility you could make it to the 2009 BMWMOA Rally in Johnson City TN and spend some extra time in that general area? I don't think the winters are that bad and not stifling heat like further south of that area, and great riding roads.
Gilly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode