Anyone else preload the shifter? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2008, 7:47 pm Thread Starter

Anyone else preload the shifter?

I noticed that the GT is somewhat clunky shifting, so I experimented different shifting styles.

Generall speaking, the GT seems to shift smoother by preloading the shifter prior to the shift, and doing the shift quickly. I also notice it is smoother with more rpm, than it is down low. Do this, and she'll shift like butta.

Give it a try and post any other tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2008, 7:53 pm
Veteran

My K75S was clunky from day one to 95000 miles. I just figure it's the nature of the beast.

Gilly
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2008, 5:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng943
I noticed that the GT is somewhat clunky shifting, so I experimented different shifting styles.

Generall speaking, the GT seems to shift smoother by preloading the shifter prior to the shift, and doing the shift quickly. I also notice it is smoother with more rpm, than it is down low. Do this, and she'll shift like butta.

Give it a try and post any other tips.

You're right. As a former H-D rider, I was used to klunky shifting. After experimenting like you did, I came to the same conclusions.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2008, 6:10 am

Yep, preloading the shifter has made a big difference in smoothness, especially 1st to 2nd.
Mack
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2008, 9:31 am
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Known technique. Here's another: when sitting at idle for a while in neutral, and you want to avoid that heavy clunk when you hit first gear, hold the clutch in for a few seconds first.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2008, 4:33 pm

revs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng943
I also notice it is smoother with more rpm, than it is down low.
everything is better with these animals at higher rpm. It's red lined at 10.5K, and it loves higher revs. If you shift too soon or lug the engine, it feels like a normal motorcycle. It isn't.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2008, 6:49 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
Known technique. Here's another: when sitting at idle for a while in neutral, and you want to avoid that heavy clunk when you hit first gear, hold the clutch in for a few seconds first.

Thanks for that tip, I'll try it next time.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2008, 8:28 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
Hi Chuck,

That trick doesn't work for me. After Meese posted how surprised he was that it didn't work, I stuck with it, and I have gotten a "clunkless" drop from neutral into first a few times. Most of the time, after holding in the clutch for four seconds, it is a still a solid clunk from neutral into first.

The one exception is when the engine is cold. The shifter is very quiet for the first few shifts (even neutral into first) after just starting up the engine. As soon as the engine is the tiniest bit warmer, the familiar clunk appears.

As far as I can tell, the clunk isn't harmful, just embarrassing at traffic lights.

One of these days, when I think of it, I will try adjusting the shift lever to see if that changes anything.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2008, 11:18 am
Rookie

I think you're concentrating on the wrong side of the bike - it's not the shifter or the clutch, but the throttle.

BMW engines seem to "spin-down" really fast. When you shift, try only a very tiny let-off on the throttle. Fan the clutch, flick your left foot upwards, but the throttle let-off should be almost imperceptible.

The faster you do this, the smoother the shift. Check it out...

Reg
'03 K1200GT
(Dark Blue Rail Gun)
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2008, 2:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Reg
I think you're concentrating on the wrong side of the bike - it's not the shifter or the clutch, but the throttle.

BMW engines seem to "spin-down" really fast. When you shift, try only a very tiny let-off on the throttle. Fan the clutch, flick your left foot upwards, but the throttle let-off should be almost imperceptible.

The faster you do this, the smoother the shift. Check it out...
I think I've noticed this on accident a few times and I 100% agree. Good tip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode