Fuel Mileage/Trip Computer - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2008, 7:34 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Fuel Mileage/Trip Computer

I filled up about a week ago, the first fill I did myself, so felt confident about finding fuel mileage (dealer did it when I picked it up, I don't know how full they would have gotten it).

I knew I was getting close to needing fuel this morning, but based on the first fill I did, I thought I could stretch it a bit, as it only took about 3.7 gallons last week.

So I was warily watching the distance to empty get lower and lower, and all the bars disappearing on my fuel gauge. At 225.5 miles I had - - - - showing instead of miles to empty. I drove about an additional 7 miles to the gas staion I normally use. Took 5.7 gallons, my understanding is that the bike has 6.3 gallons "useable", my mileage was a tad over 40 mpg, but the bike only has about 500 miles on it (still breaking in I assume). The trip coputer said I was getting closer to 44 mpg.

Mainly just thought I'd share my experiences and see if what I am getting is about normal at this point. It almost seems like when you get the dashed lines that this is where the gallon of reserve (or 1.1, whichever it is) begins?
Gilly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2008, 8:08 pm

Mileage & TC

My TC consistently shows 50-51.1 mpg, when I have a calculated mpg (using the GPS distance) of around 47-47.5mpg.

DTE is "off" on mine by about 0.5-0.8gal; the reserve light comes on pretty consistently around 220-225miles (on the bike, not GPS), and I can go to about 255-260 (bike-measured miles) until I get the - - - on the TC. When I fill up at that time, I never get any more than 5.5-5.8 gal into the tank. I just view this as "cheap fuel starvation insurance"

-----
His: 2012 K1600GT
Hers: 2008 Buell Blast (for sale) & 2009 Ducati Monster 696
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2008, 8:42 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks. It sounds like mine is acting the same as yours, except that my fuel mileage is sort of low. I would think that a new bike would be a bit lower MPG due to break-in?
My reserve light (amber triangle and flashing fuel pump icon) came on around 190 and I had the dashed lines at 225. I did notice this time that I was under 50 miles DTE before the amber triangle lit up, last week it was on right at 50 DTE.
The comparison between yours and mine regarding the TC MPG and what I actually calculated as MPG is very close to the same, I calculated my MPG a couple miles less than the TC said. Will have to remember this the next time I try to stretch out a refill. Just trying to figure out how much I dare push it, and today I would say I reached the limit. I'd say 25-50 miles at the VERY most past the dashed lines.
Gilly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2008, 10:36 pm

The mpg on my BC is pretty consistent around 42. No matter how I ride it settles in to 42.1 or so by the time I got through a tank. Granted, if I reset it doing 85 on a slab it fires right up to 48-52, but eventually settles back down. I've seen actualy computed-by-me mpg about 2-3 mpg higher than the BC - not bad I guess.

There's a pretty good thread about the fuel gauge on the GT. I think it may have changed slightly with a software update a while ago. Anyways, I've found that I get the amber warning with about 40-50 distance to empty, and take 5 gallons (about). Appears that mine is in line with other folks - 0 on the DTE is really 0. Hate to try it for real!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2008, 1:07 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflybricks
The mpg on my BC is pretty consistent around 42. No matter how I ride it settles in to 42.1 or so by the time I got through a tank. Granted, if I reset it doing 85 on a slab it fires right up to 48-52, but eventually settles back down. I've seen actualy computed-by-me mpg about 2-3 mpg higher than the BC - not bad I guess.

There's a pretty good thread about the fuel gauge on the GT. I think it may have changed slightly with a software update a while ago. Anyways, I've found that I get the amber warning with about 40-50 distance to empty, and take 5 gallons (about). Appears that mine is in line with other folks - 0 on the DTE is really 0. Hate to try it for real!
See this thread, the end of post #9 for a summary of fuel tank capacity and remaining fuel:
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14658

and see this thread, post #40, for a detailed spreadsheet showing actual and OBC computed mileage:
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13211
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2008, 10:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
See this thread, the end of post #9 for a summary of fuel tank capacity and remaining fuel:
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14658

and see this thread, post #40, for a detailed spreadsheet showing actual and OBC computed mileage:
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13211
Thanks
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2008, 12:55 pm
Noob

I just gassed up last night on the way home from work. My triangle light came on around the 185 mark and my trip meter read 200.1 when I filled up. Took 5.088 gallons for a mileage of 39.33 mpg, which I have found to be pretty typical for my riding style. I have right around 4600 miles since I bought it in late march and my mileage has been hovering right around the 40 mark pretty consistently. Lots of cruising on I-90 outside Chicago at 70-75 mph.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode