New Airbox installed next week. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2008, 1:29 pm Thread Starter
Addict

New Airbox installed next week.

'06 GT-20k on the clock. Have a slight stumbling 23-3k range. Not terrible but getting worse. Thanks to posts here, went to my dealer (Marin) and told them of problem. "Just a minute-let me check" "Yup-your bike qualified for the upgraded air box" Sweet! Scheduled me for next week-just before I leave for my yearly trip up to Vancouver BC.. K-the question is-dealer said that they would also do upgraded maping-currently have 7.0 and everything is fine-'cept the stumble which is being adressed. With new/current mapping (whatever # they are up to now-540.00 ) are there any noticable changes overall other than good? Will be leaving 5 days after install of box and don't want anything to sour my road trip other than rain-which I actually enjoy riding in.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2008, 8:53 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorritt
'06 GT-20k on the clock. Have a slight stumbling 23-3k range. Not terrible but getting worse. Thanks to posts here, went to my dealer (Marin) and told them of problem. "Just a minute-let me check" "Yup-your bike qualified for the upgraded air box" Sweet! Scheduled me for next week-just before I leave for my yearly trip up to Vancouver BC.. K-the question is-dealer said that they would also do upgraded maping-currently have 7.0 and everything is fine-'cept the stumble which is being adressed. With new/current mapping (whatever # they are up to now-540.00 ) are there any noticable changes overall other than good? Will be leaving 5 days after install of box and don't want anything to sour my road trip other than rain-which I actually enjoy riding in.
The "other than good" answer depends on who you ask, but it is moot. If you have the airbox replaced, your version 7.0 software will not work with it. The software must be upgraded.

Since you asked, I really like the software upgrade. It took a twitchy, touchy throttle and smoothed it out. The overly strong engine braking was also reduced significantly. For me, this made roll-ons and roll-offs smooth and easy to manage, but it takes a lot more twist to bring out maximum acceleration than before. The engine braking is just the way I like it.

In fairness, other people prefer the old mapping. They like the way that the bike jumps out or has strong engine braking at the slightest change in throttle position. They must be able to control the throttle with more precision than me. They also felt that they lost engine power after the upgrade, but nobody has posted any objective dyno tests that I've seen. As far as I know, all comments have been based on the "butt dyno".

I agree that engine power seems to be reduced since the software upgrade, but for me, the benefits outweigh the costs. The GT still has plenty of power when I want it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2008, 9:43 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks for your answer. Smoother is better. Never had an issue before-but eliminating the stumble would b nice.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2008, 2:09 am
Enthusiast

I also had the airbox upgrade done a few months back and enjoy the way the bike rides now much better than before. The throttle roll on and roll off are much smoother now. No more herky-jerky feel... I'm enjoying the bike more now than before the upgrade and yes, the new software is a must with the new airbox-I'm told. I think you will be pleasantly surprised...

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode