sportvue heads up display - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2008, 4:53 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

sportvue heads up display

I ride an '07 K12GT. I'm installing a SportVue HUD. Anyone have a suggestion about where to install the wheel speed sensor. The rear hub is too clean so I need some advice. Also, the SportVue website does not include specific instructions for 2006+ models. Are the wiring diagrams identical for post-2006 and pre-2006 MY? I need to locate switched power, ground and engine RPM outputs. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2008, 6:32 pm
JCW
contributor

There is no good 12V squarewave tach output. I've looked everywhere. The signal is buried in the "loca area network" line that contains speed, coolant temp, fuel level info, etc. There's a low voltage 3V signal in the diagnostic link, but this is usually too weak.

There are ways to get a signal by sensing the minute changes in magnetic field around the coil signal wires using a giant magnetoresistance (GMR) device. I have used one of these sensors, but I cannot vouch for the accuracy at high rpm.

Usually for devices like this unless explicitly OK's, the coil negative ouput has high voltage (100V) spikes as the coil charges and discharges that will fry a system. But some tachs are protected from these spikes. I finally hooked up my stack tach to the 06 KR here.

This is the only place you will find info regarding a tach signal on our new K bikes, BTW.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2008, 6:56 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Info from SportVue

RPM Wire Green/White or Green/Red Wire
RPM Wire Location **Ignition Coil primary side

This is the information in the SportVue database. Does it make sense based on your experience? Thanks for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2008, 7:47 pm
JCW
contributor

Ignition coil primary will likely see the same spikes in voltage but again if it is OK'd be the manufacturer...

Green/White; Green/blue; Green/red; green/black each one is coil positive to ONE of the coils.

Which means that the tach has to be set up for 1 pulse for 2 revs.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2008, 8:43 pm
JCW
contributor

DO NOT wire it to the coil positive.

I just looked up the sportvue application data.

IT STATES EXPLICITLY THAT YOU HAVE TO USE THE MSD PICKUP!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2008, 9:48 pm

Wheelspeed sensor? Any change you can get the speed pulse off the third wire in the wiring harness (for accessories) under the handle bars? You know, the one we wire the Zumo too? Just putting that out there, shot in the dark.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2008, 10:24 pm
JCW
contributor

You have to ask the manufacturer if the unit can accept a 12V signal through it's speed input. Some only can handle 5V. I think (but don't know for sure) that the BMW uses a 12V speed sensor pulse. Anyone with an oscillascope?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2008, 2:01 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Continuing

What the SportVue is looking for in the wheel RPM sensor is input to "learn" the gear pattern so that the unit knows what gear the cycle is in and displays it. The installation information from SportVue shows a magnet epoxied to a brake rotor (NOT in the braking area itself, obviously) and a pickup mounted on a bracket set under the head of a bolt in the brake disc housing. This is all routed to the little computer unit for use by an algorithm that recognizes the appropriate ratios between engine RPM and wheel RPM to noodle out the gear answer.

SportVue is closed today but I'm all over them tomorrow.

More to come, I'm sure.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2008, 2:39 pm
JCW
contributor

Right. The magnet passes by a hall effect sensor that changes voltages with the passing magnetic field.

These voltage "spikes" are what most units pick up and translate into "speed" units.

Now most of the time, the hall effect sensors only generate low voltage signals. So in some devices, they use IC chips that only accept 5V or less. Applying a 12V signal to these chips will possibly fry them.

Other devices that are built with IC chips that take up to 14V are compatible with both inputs.

Like I said, it will depend on the sportvue's circuitry. But I agree with the previous poster, it would be best if you could just tap off the ecu GPS signal pulse. No epoxy, no worrying about mounting the sensor, no worry about it coming off.

But if you ask me, I'd think about mounting it on the drive shaft. Maybe pop open the final drive and slide out the drive shaft. Epoxy AND safety wire two magnets (to keep the driveshaft balanced) to the shaft. Then fabricate a mount to sit inside the swingarm and drill a mounting hole through the swingarm itself. A lot of work...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 7:11 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

the last word

I talked with my BMW dealer today. The maintenance folks have never installed the SportVue on any bike. The NG K1200GT is so different from '06 and earlier that it's unlikely to work in the way described on the SportVue website. Further, I tried phone calls, e-mail and raising my hand but could not get thru to SportVue. I have decided not to pursue it further.

I have other things to do - like ride. Auf wiedersehen, ya'll.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode