Hola! Como esta? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2008, 6:47 pm Thread Starter
Strafist

Hola! Como esta?

Well, I'm back. Almost 4,000 miles and 60 some odd hours in the saddle the last 10 days. Meandered up to the Curve Cowboy Reunion in Midway, UT. They say the scenery was beautiful.

I got a performance award right off the bat in Menard County, TX, not even 100 miles from my house. 80 in a 70. I really was doing 80 and the officer said that was too fast for a bike.

I pounded the ever loving shit out of the GT and it just kept asking for more. Laid over in corners, not daring to look down because your line would be missed and shifting when the the rev limiter was hit was pretty normal.

I chased Dean and Deb's daughter around on her GS. That little gal can ride and outride me, she did. I'd heard a GS would run with sport bikes and it certainly ran with my GT.

No problems with the bike at all, it was a dream and I learned new limits on it I wouldn't have by myself. It's amazing when the herd instinct kicks in and you blindly follow another thru a corner at, hell, who knows. It was FAST! I do know I was taking some killer sweepers on Highway 169 at 90 some odd.

There is on niggling leetle problem: I still have about an 8th of an inch of chicken strip. Sigh.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2008, 10:29 pm
JCW
contributor

2 questions...

Chicken strip, front or back?

No pics? Hard to take pics when riding.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2008, 8:13 am Thread Starter
Strafist

Rear chicken strips.

I did manage to take some with my phone. There was lots of picture taking, but I don't believe everybody is back yet... some nonsense about not wanting to kill themselves getting home.

-=grif=-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2008, 9:38 am
JCW
contributor

Nice pics. 'merica is beautiful ain't it?

As far as 1/8" chicken strips on unfamiliar roads? It's preferable to a low side into a guardrail and as far as I got them down until I got to the track or ran loops over and over on a local 3 miles "road course."
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2008, 11:24 am Thread Starter
Strafist

Another amazing thing, I spent 14 hours in the saddle Saturday and 8 Sunday (could have been less, but back roads rawk) and I'm not sore at all. Of course, my youth has something to do with that (I'm only 51).

-=grif=-
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2008, 11:34 am Thread Starter
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
Nice pics. 'merica is beautiful ain't it?

As far as 1/8" chicken strips on unfamiliar roads? It's preferable to a low side into a guardrail and as far as I got them down until I got to the track or ran loops over and over on a local 3 miles "road course."
Tis indeed a beauty place.

And some of the places to low side into didn't have guardrails at all. I'm afraid of heights and running to Bryce there's this great twisty bit that has steep drop off's on each side without any guardrails. I was chasing a gal on her Triumph Sprint and we blew by where we were to have breakfast in Boulder, UT. They were waving at us and jumping up and down. They said they saw a blue blur (Ruth) and a grey blur (me) as we lined up our curve and were gone. We went all the way to Escalante, about 28 miles, before we realized what we'd done. Started laughing and turned around to ride it all again.... including the drop off bits.

We got to where breaky was as everyone was saddling up and went and rode it, yet, again. That was the only time(s) I felt any fear on this ride, because of the heights.

The Coal Road is fantastic! Hiway 69/6 is made for tandem trailer trucks to run it at 55 mph. Hitting the rev limiter in third gear and popping it into fourth in the middle of a turn is pure zen. I wouldn't dare post that last statement on the LT board. I've already been brought to the fire today for a quip on passing on a double yellow. Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way. No ego in the matter.

-=grif=-
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2008, 1:43 pm
2 heads are better than 1

I had a great time riding with you, Grif, that was a shitload of fun! That is some mightly beautiful country out there, and thanks for posting a pic of my bike before I customized the side panel. And I agree with you 1000% on the Coal Road, that thing just plain rocked! I don't think I was below 80 the entire length of that road.

So, did you shoot your GPS yet??

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2008, 4:31 pm
Enthusiast

Hey Grif, the place w/ the dropoffs is called "the hogback" on UT12....great fun that one.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2008, 5:09 pm Thread Starter
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
I had a great time riding with you, Grif, that was a shitload of fun! That is some mightly beautiful country out there, and thanks for posting a pic of my bike before I customized the side panel. And I agree with you 1000% on the Coal Road, that thing just plain rocked! I don't think I was below 80 the entire length of that road.

So, did you shoot your GPS yet??
And I had a shitload of fun riding with you! And CCR.

That Manhick is one helluva gal, eh?

I erased the top speed and then shot that fucking gps. Bastige piece of machinery.

-=grif=-
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2008, 5:11 pm Thread Starter
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS
Hey Grif, the place w/ the dropoffs is called "the hogback" on UT12....great fun that one.
It is great fun, especially when you're afraid of heights. I kept saying, "Look at the road, look at the road, AAAAAAAAAGGGHHHHH, look at the road, look at the road, AAAAAAAAAAGH"

-=grif=-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode