Sit up and Beg GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2008, 9:17 pm Thread Starter

Sit up and Beg GT

I bought an '08 K12GT recently and immediately missed the sit up and beg rider position of my R1150RT (and my K100RT before it). I upgraded my windscreen to a tall Pope-mobile sized Aeroflow with the Aeroguards on the sides. I got the Suburban Machinery foot peg lowering kit and bar backs which put the rider position really close to my R-bike. It's close to the real sit up and beg now.

The jury's still out on the seat. I took the rubber bushings off the back and it's helped a little with the nad crushing forward tilt. I may still wuss out and get a custom seat later.

I know it sounds like I'm trying to convert it into an LT, but with the windshield down and the luggage off, she's still a GT.

Does anyone else like a cushier GT? What farkles have you done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2008, 1:20 am
Cruisin the MidAtlantic joyfully

I actually find the slightly forward leaning position of the GT is very comfortable for my back. It encourages a slight lordosis in my lumbar spine, instead of the slouch (reverse lordosis) of a true sitting position. (Please excuse the jargon; I'm a neurologist.)

I've also worried about lowering the footpegs, as it might limit the wonderful leaning ability of the bike. Much of the fun of this bike is it's sport-bike turning ability. Have you found this a limitation?

I'd worry a little bit about a very high windshield being prone to cracking, and find the currently standard "high" BMW windshield gives me great protection (I'm 6' tall), and it's seemingly very strong at all speeds I've achieved ;<).

wintermute
'08 BMW K1200GT
'10 Ducati 1198 S Corse
'10 Ducati Streetfighter S
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2008, 3:07 am
Veteran

wintermute
What's the best cure for my hands going numb rather quickly when riding? My old K75S had the same effect, so I'm about done blaming the bike.

Gilly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2008, 4:46 am
Cruisin the MidAtlantic joyfully

Hi Gilly,
I think it is pressure on your median nerves in the carpal tunnel of your wrist, made more problematic by the slight vibration in the grips. I have the same thing in my throttle hand, where I know I have mild carpal tunnel syndrome already. I've had surgery for CTS in my left hand, and rarely experience the problem there. Probably the leaning posture and vibration are a sort of "stress test" for mild carpal tunnel syndrome.

One thing that helps me is to just consciously use my back muscles to hold my body slightly erect, unloading my hands at the grips. It is only slightly tiring, and relieves the pressure on my wrists. Good isometric exercise as well.
Best,

wintermute
'08 BMW K1200GT
'10 Ducati 1198 S Corse
'10 Ducati Streetfighter S
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2008, 8:16 am

I stuck on a pair of tank grips on my bike - helps take some pressure off my upper body. My knees rest against the grips and helps keep me upright, as opposed to holding myself up with just my arms and back. Keeps me from sliding forward under braking too.

Sorry - on a loaner computer, don't have a link to their website. They're cheap, like $40 or so. Nice add-on.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2008, 9:00 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflybricks
Sorry - on a loaner computer, don't have a link to their website. They're cheap, like $40 or so. Nice add-on.
Best thing since peanut butter
http://www.techspec-usa.com/

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2008, 4:59 pm

I've done the same modifications to my GT to get to the riding position / wind protection that I liked on my R1200RT. A Russell seat is next, and if that does not do it for me I am thinking about another RT or quite possibly a Triumph Tiger.

As for your hand going numb, I tend to have the same problem. High frequency vibrations do it to me, and not course vibration like you tend to get on your old boxer.

Here's a side by side comparison of the ergos. Note that even with my SM bar risers raised all the way, my arms are still noteably lower than on the stock RT. Also, my knees are bent significantly more even with the SM pegs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RT.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	8869   Click image for larger version

Name:	GT.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	8870  

Last edited by eng943; Sep 1st, 2008 at 5:21 pm.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2008, 6:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng943
Here's a side by side comparison of the ergos. Note that even with my SM bar risers raised all the way, my arms are still noteably lower than on the stock RT. Also, my knees are bent significantly more even with the SM pegs.
Looks like you're almost sitting on the pillion on the RT. Is that what you're after?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2008, 8:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdane
Looks like you're almost sitting on the pillion on the RT. Is that what you're after?
I noticed that also. I don't remember it being intentional either.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2008, 8:44 pm

I feel your (all yall) pain and to help ease said pain I will for a nominal fee take totally unsatifactory KGT off your hands.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode