Gas Gauge Stays at Full Mark... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2008, 9:48 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Gas Gauge Stays at Full Mark...

I just got my 2008 GT and couldn't be happier except for one thing. The gas gauge stays at the full mark for the first 150 miles or so and the "miles to empty" does not change during that time either. After that it starts to move down slowly as if I just filled up. I haven't taken it down too far to see if it "catches up" to to the near empty reading yet. Obviously though, this isn't correct. Has any one else had this problem?

TIA

Erik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2008, 9:57 pm

I think I've read of the problem on this site. It should just be a software update that needs to done. Otherwise must be a bad sensor. Take it to the dealer and the computer there should figure it out. Enjoy the bike.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2008, 11:55 pm

Gas Gauge Stays at Full Mark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dog
I just got my 2008 GT and couldn't be happier except for one thing. The gas gauge stays at the full mark for the first 150 miles or so and the "miles to empty" does not change during that time either. After that it starts to move down slowly as if I just filled up. I haven't taken it down too far to see if it "catches up" to to the near empty reading yet. Obviously though, this isn't correct. Has any one else had this problem?

TIA

Erik
Yep, mine has been doing that since the last service. Dealer plugged it in to their computer and it showed no faults. It was as near perfect as could be before the last service, so I am not sure what happened. They had to order a new gas gauge strip for it and it goes back in later this month to get swapped out and hopefully that will cure the problem. Meanwhile, I just use the trip meter old school style.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 1:12 pm
Would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dog
The gas gauge stays at the full mark for the first 150 miles or so and the "miles to empty" does not change during that time either. After that it starts to move down slowly as if I just filled up. I haven't taken it down too far to see if it "catches up" to to the near empty reading yet. Obviously though, this isn't correct. Has any one else had this problem?
Not had that problem, but I did have a gas sensor failure. When my gas sensor strip failed it just read empty all the time. Replacement has been pretty much on par with everyone else's experience, slow to go down at first and fast near the end. I haven't had a software update yet, mine is an '07 GT with a 5/07 build date.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 5:12 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't think it worked at all at first, but then noticed it started dropping once I was at 1/2 tank or so. I'll just let them know it will becoming in for more than the 600 mile service when I schedule it tomorrow. Until then, it's "old school" as lego mentioned.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode