How hot is your rear disk? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 6:51 am Thread Starter

How hot is your rear disk?

How hot does your rear disk get with normal use?
My rear caliper was binding a couple of weeks ago. I tracked it down to a stone chip stuck in the calliper. Cleared it, all ok. However, I've noticed that the rear disk gets quite hot. I can touch it, without screaming, when I stop but it's certainly warmer than the rear drive after 30 miles. Can someone risk their finger tip when they stop and just let me know how hot yours is? The brake does not feel like it's binding now. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 2:05 pm
Would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_C
How hot does your rear disk get with normal use?
My rear caliper was binding a couple of weeks ago. I tracked it down to a stone chip stuck in the calliper. Cleared it, all ok. However, I've noticed that the rear disk gets quite hot. I can touch it, without screaming, when I stop but it's certainly warmer than the rear drive after 30 miles. Can someone risk their finger tip when they stop and just let me know how hot yours is? The brake does not feel like it's binding now. Thanks
I've explored this, and never found the rear disk to be hot, it's always been cooler than the front ones. (I use both brake levers as a matter of habit.) Usually they're all warm to the touch but not hot, but then I've never checked right after heavy braking.

You might want to check for gunk around the rear brake lever, used to be a common problem on my last bike that the lever would bind and keep the rear brake (lightly) applied while riding. With 150+ horsepower you'd have a hard time noticing this while riding, but someone might notice that your brake light is staying on. A sticking lever would explain the very hot disk.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 4:21 am Thread Starter

hot disk

Thanks,
I also use both brakes and the rear is significantly hotter than the front directly after a ride. Sounds like a strip, clean and rebuild to me! Can anyone tell me EXACTLY how that little spring plate fits. The one about an inch long. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 5:16 am
Addict

The rear will always get hotter than the front and wear pads out faster because there's only one disc and you don't get so much overall braking for a much larger force on the pads.

If the disc gets hot without using the brakes, then the pads/pistons may be sticking. If the disc is getting excessively hot and your pads don't last long, then you are using too much rear brake.

Best to use the engine more to brake, take longer and use brakes as little as possible, then you get good pad life and less disc wear,

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 9:16 am Thread Starter

pads

Thanks... I am clear with that, I don't normally have a problem with pads, I got 20,000miles from the first pair. And since I noticed this I have been really careful about not resting on the lever, which I'm sure I don't do. Think I'll take the caliper off and give everything a good clean...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2008, 3:58 pm

My previous bike was a R1150RT.
I noticed the rear disk was starting to darken in color due to heat, it was like you mentioned (possible to touch without screaming but not something I would choose to do)

I replaced the rear brakes thinking there was an issue with pads,pistons & dirt. I was wrong, it was the start of the final drive giving up...about 3 days later the oil seal gave out & dumped the diff oil all over the wheel & road on the way home...had to buy a new diff....BM's do have diff issues & rear seal issues...pay close attention to this issue.
The reason the disk was heating up was the rear wheel bearing cage was coming apart, there was slight play in the rear wheel causing simptoms like breaks binding, the bearing cage then trashes the oilseal and oil dumps out big time.
I would do a diff oil change and look for metal filings, also check for wheel play while the bike is on centre stand try rocking wheel from side to side

Last edited by Greg1863; Sep 5th, 2008 at 4:04 pm.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2008, 6:19 am Thread Starter

Heat

Thanks, I'll take note.
Final drive oil was changed at the 24K mile service at my request. That ws 3k+ ago. No mention of crummy oil made by them then? I plan on doing all service work myself from now on. I'll change it again at 30K and have a close look at the oil. Fingers crossed it will last that long. I gave the calipers a THOROUGH clean etc at the weekend. Certainly not binding but the disk is still significantly hotter than the front. Not many other GT's around here I can check it against though. The final drive does not feel unduly warm? Surely that would leech off most of the excess heat from a problem bearing? No play in the wheel either? Is the final drive top up plug (no drain plug on mine) magnetic? Would that show any sign of bearing wear? I'll have a look when I get home.
Thanks again
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2008, 6:42 pm
Rookie

A little too hot?

Look at the pretty colors!
At CCR in Utah some guys were riding behind me down a mountain pass and said my brake light was flashing and staying on when I shouldn't have been on the brakes.
Now if it was someone else's bike I would say the idiot had his foot resting on the brake pedal
When I got home I washed the bike and haven't had a chance to ride it since. The other day I happened to look at the rear disk for some reason and
I can spin the rear wheel freely with no odd sounds.
I have a 6k service overdue (but I did change the oil myself before CCR), so it is going in next week. I looked for a switch that operates the rear brake light, but do not see one near the lever mechanism. I am assuming that it is a pressure switch somewhere in the linked braking system hydraulics. There is probably something with that as well that is causing slight pressure to build up in the lines, but I haven't seen a schematic of how those things work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rotor 003s.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	8946  

Brian Louw
2013 K1600GT Light Grey Metallic
2011 R1200GSA
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2008, 7:27 pm
Noob

Make sure you are not inadvertantly resting your foot on the rear brake pedal. I know someone who did that. Also your speed control will not engage if you are doing this.

'77 KZ 650
'96 Dyna Wide Glyde
'07 K1200GT
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2008, 7:52 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by novajet
Make sure you are not inadvertantly resting your foot on the rear brake pedal. I know someone who did that. Also your speed control will not engage if you are doing this.
Re-read my post - 3rd sentence. After the guys told me my brake light was flashing, I made a conscious effort to make sure my boot wasn't anywhere near the brake pedal. In fact I have to turn my foot inwards to operate the rear brake, which I rarely use except in slow riding. Might add I have been riding for close on 50 years with various bikes.

Brian Louw
2013 K1600GT Light Grey Metallic
2011 R1200GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode