HID Conversion for 06 KGT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 10:22 am Thread Starter

HID Conversion for 06 KGT

Trying to sort out all the info from various posts..... I found the great install posts with photos and will use those (thanks!) But wondering if any can suggest a clear path: 35w vs. 50w (isn't 50 overkill?), and lumens (cqlight.ca offers 5, 6.5, 8 & 10K) - was thinking of 8k. Is there an objective call on this: is it just color temp or also intensity/brightness. I'm concerned about going stronger than necessary as it can be an annoyance (hazard?) to other drivers.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 10:35 am
Strafist

The lower the lumens, the closer to clear light. An 8 would almost be blue/purple. 4 is ideal, but CQ only goes down to 5, which works well.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 2:04 pm
Would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
Trying to sort out all the info from various posts..... I found the great install posts with photos and will use those (thanks!) But wondering if any can suggest a clear path: 35w vs. 50w (isn't 50 overkill?), and lumens (cqlight.ca offers 5, 6.5, 8 & 10K) - was thinking of 8k. Is there an objective call on this: is it just color temp or also intensity/brightness. I'm concerned about going stronger than necessary as it can be an annoyance (hazard?) to other drivers.
Something is fishy here. Lumens is a measure of intensity of light. More is better, within reason. The number like 5K, 8K, 10K refer to what's called the "color temperature", where the K stands for Kelvins. Lower color temperatures are more yellow-orange, higher temperatures are bluer. (Temperature is used as a unit here because this corresponds to the color of light given off by an otherwise black body if it were at that temperature. ...think of heating up a piece of metal, when it gets hot it's dull red, and the hotter it gets the more yellow/white/blue the light gets.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 10:33 pm
Noob

Can't comment on the 35W vs. 50. Some eBay listings claim 'better compatibility' with CAN bus systems (the rationale being 50W is closer to the factory 55W system), and 'more light output' when using the 50W kit vs 35W. Personaly, I installed a 35W aftermarket HID kit on my K1200LT before, and couldn't have been happier.
As far as the color temperature (measured in Kelvin): 4300K is pretty much the boundry between pure white and blueish haze. Also, I believe 4300K is the DOT approved color temperature (which you may or may not care for). Higher K degrees, like 6000-8000 will produce blueish color, while lower K temperatures will yield yellowish light.
Also, while blueish tint may seem 'cool', the actual light output and the perceived brightness decreases as the K temperature increases.
IMHO, the sensible range is 4300-4800K, but I'm sure others will chime in with meaningful opposing views.

Cheers,
Steve
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 10:41 pm
Noob

Just for comparison: the color temperature of the standard halogen bulb is around 3800K.
As far as aftermarket HID being an annoyance: make sure to buy the proper HID bulb type for your bike (reflector type vs. non-reflector), adjust the headlight angle down a bit, if as possible.
When I rode my LT with the HID installed no one ever flashed their headlight on me for 'excessive' or 'blinding' light.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode