It's a step in the right direction from the old GT styling 13 3.63%
It's a step in the wrong direction from the old GT styling. 75 20.95%
No mistaking it for a touring bike, and that's OK. 37 10.34%
It lost the sport look, and that hurts it. 59 16.48%
Voters: 358. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2005, 2:15 pm Thread Starter

In my humble yet accurate opinion...

Okay. So I'm not big fan of the new GT. Too angular. Too toned down from a sporting look. Looks like they left a LT and a S in the shed to mate, and out popped this thing. I haven't seen a picture of one without the side bags yet to make a better assessment. The fact that I love my current GT is that I can take the sidebags off, the trunk off, keep the RS windshield on, and it looks like a sport bike (and acts like one too). Especially with the turned up exhaust pipe. The fact that it is completely functional with cruise, etc. is a bonus. So I guess I'm really admitting that my bike is a cross-dresser between sport and tour. There is no hiding the fact that the new GT is tour-only. It might perform like a sport bike, but it won't look like one. Guess I've just talked myself into saving major $$$ not wanting to trade my bike in yet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2005, 3:13 pm
Statmaster

Only 108 votes so far. So, like John likes to do, let's get some more activity on this one.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2005, 9:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzmann
Okay. So I'm not big fan of the new GT. Too angular. Too toned down from a sporting look. Looks like they left a LT and a S in the shed to mate, and out popped this thing. I haven't seen a picture of one without the side bags yet to make a better assessment. The fact that I love my current GT is that I can take the sidebags off, the trunk off, keep the RS windshield on, and it looks like a sport bike (and acts like one too). Especially with the turned up exhaust pipe. The fact that it is completely functional with cruise, etc. is a bonus. So I guess I'm really admitting that my bike is a cross-dresser between sport and tour. There is no hiding the fact that the new GT is tour-only. It might perform like a sport bike, but it won't look like one. Guess I've just talked myself into saving major $$$ not wanting to trade my bike in yet!
I very much agree with you. The new GT looks like an RT without the jugs. Whoopdeedoo. Sharp and angular, it has completely lost all the sexy curves the "old" KRS/KGT had. It's also lost character, drifting more and more to the look of a rice burner. Not for me. Now more than ever, I miss my Orca KRS. It was perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2005, 9:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings
I very much agree with you. The new GT looks like an RT without the jugs. Whoopdeedoo. Sharp and angular, it has completely lost all the sexy curves the "old" KRS/KGT had. It's also lost character, drifting more and more to the look of a rice burner. Not for me. Now more than ever, I miss my Orca KRS. It was perfect.
Oh yes she was..

No current bike.
(previous: 01 K12RS (*RED*)

Bear
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2005, 9:59 pm

I am buying

one come spring/summer. Looks like they are listening to the touring customer imo.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2005, 12:50 am

New K1200GT

I'm waiting to see it in person.

I thought the K1200R looked GREAT in pics, but fell short in person. The K1200S looked great to me in "bumble-bee", but didn't make me drool.

I'm beginning to think the smooth curves of the ol' GT or RS are more to my liking.

All that said, I still LOVE that darn new motor! WOW, what a gizmo!

Best to all,

JS
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2005, 3:23 pm

GT a sport bike - that is questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzmann
So I guess I'm really admitting that my bike is a cross-dresser between sport and tour. There is no hiding the fact that the new GT is tour-only. It might perform like a sport bike, but it won't look like one.
I'm not sure if this GT style will have anything resembling a similar clearance of a sport bike. First thing I noticed was the low exhaust - will this be the first thing to scrap in the turns? Will the new GT be able to corner like the S, most likely not exactly and its not really expected. But with 150HP at the rear, scraping the turns will become a continuous experience. This bike might have the umph of a sport bike inside, but I don't think it will preform nearly like one. I think the jury will still be open until test rides and new owners start posting their experiences, but for now I'm happy with my RS!

ONON-
Mark
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2005, 4:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschilberg
I'm waiting to see it in person.

I thought the K1200R looked GREAT in pics, but fell short in person. The K1200S looked great to me in "bumble-bee", but didn't make me drool.

Best to all,

JS
I've been thinking lately that the "bumble-bee" S looks mighty fine...and this from a guy that used to think yellow/black was not a good combo.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2005, 12:15 am
Enthusiast

'Kalender Gurl'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings

The '04 KGT is more like a Vargas Girl. The new one is like a transformer robot.

"Oh, I love I love I love my Kalender Girl!"
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2005, 12:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastjohnny
The new one is like a transformer robot.
just like the FJR and ST1300...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode