Now, this is embarrassing - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2008, 8:47 pm Thread Starter
Strafist

Now, this is embarrassing

Today I went to the local Honda shop to do the hidden tax thang- state inspection.

The service manager doing the inspection raved about the brakes and the bike in general. He was gone a bit on the brake test. Several other folks were standing around and we were jawboning about bikes.

It comes time to leave and I'll be dayemed if the facking thang won't start. Nada. After ditzing around for a bit I noticed- drum roll, por favor- the kill switch was on. I never use it, use the kick stand instead to kill the bike.

Well, we all had a good laugh over it.

The embarrassing part? I wish I could pull a decent wheelie instead of just riding away.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2008, 9:01 pm
Enthusiast

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2008, 9:14 pm
Veteran

Yup....done the same thing, though luckily not in front of any one that noticed. I hate the feeling of.....WTF .....that you get for a bit till you figure it out. I mean I never use my kill switch but some how it got bumped...then I go to start it and my freakin thumb is right on the thing for peats sake. Think I'd notice it? No. Dooohh...

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2008, 7:50 am
Veteran

You're not alone.

My very first motorcycle was a used Honda CB400F Super Sport. I had my learners permit, and my best friend helped me buy it. He rode it home for me and left to go elsewhere. I had had some previous riding experience in dirt fields when I was a teenager, and was ready to practice riding my "new" CB400F on our quiet neighborhood streets.

It was a hot summer day. For some reason, the bike wouldn't start. The starter would crank, but the engine just wouldn't turn over. I knew that the bike was in good working order; my friend had checked it out and ridden it home. I tried different choke positions. I tried blipping the throttle as I pushed the starter button.

After the starter motor began to sound "weak", I tried the kick starter. Again, and again, and again until I lost count.

My house was set halfway up a steep hill. It was about 100 yards from the house to the bottom of the hill. Next, I tried "push starting" the motorcycle by putting it in gear, holding in the clutch, allowing the bike to roll down the hill, and then engaging the clutch to start the motor. Nothing. The engine just wouldn't turn over.

I don't know how many times I pushed that 400 pound motorcycle up that steep hill to try again. This was definitely a case where persistence was not a virtue. I was sure that it just wasn't cranking the engine quite hard enough to get it going. Finally, I was exhausted. I pushed it up the hill one last time, parked it, and gave up in frustration.

Around 3:00 AM, I woke up suddenly and thought of the kill switch. Even though it was the middle of the night, I had to know. I ran out to the garage. Sure enough, that was it! The kill switch was set to OFF. I felt so stupid. Excited and eager, I flipped the kill switch to the RUN position and pressed the starter and...

Nothing happened. Not a twitch. Not a sound. (...imagine middle-of-the-night dead silence, broken only by the sound of crickets chirping...) I had completely drained the battery the previous afternoon, trying to start that bike.

Epilog:
I put the battery on a charger the next morning and got the motorcycle going the next day.

I practiced on my neighborhood streets for many weeks until I killed the battery. Why? Because I was running at such low RPMs that the battery wasn't charging. Eventually I got a new battery, learned to keep my RPMs higher than "3", and ventured out into the city streets. I passed my rider's test at the DMV and never looked back. I have been riding the streets ever since.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2008, 11:34 am
Rookie

Not as embarassing as hitting the BC button when trying to start the bike, and looking at it like "what's wrong with this POS?". Fortunately, only the girlfriend was there to witness this act of stupidity.

2008 K1200GT
2005 FZ1
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2008, 12:26 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Opposable thumbs, one more reason we're at the top of the food chain.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2008, 5:45 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
use the kick stand instead to kill the bike.

That works?
After 10k miles I never noticed.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2008, 7:24 pm Thread Starter
Strafist

You bet it works.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2008, 8:42 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs
That works?
After 10k miles I never noticed.

Almost any modern bike will do this if it's in gear.

2008 K1200GT
2005 FZ1
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2008, 9:50 pm
Enthusiast

Too funny. My wife went to the MSF course a while back. Studying like mad, and they really use the kill switch. So, being I never use it, I decide it is a good idea and try to remember to do it.

Same deal, WTF, walk around looking at the bike, DAMN. This was before the EWS deal or I probably would have started tearing it down, whew.

12 Super Tenere 1200 (coming soon)
10 MTS1200 standard (riding)
09 Monster 696 (wife's ride)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode