Final Drive, The Sequel - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2008, 5:44 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Final Drive, The Sequel

I got an appt. for next week so they can replace my final drive AGAIN!!!

I'm not amused

68,000 miles BTW...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2008, 8:39 pm
Enthusiast

Hey, I went through two of them in 33K miles on the '07. Hoping the new '08 is more problem free.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2008, 8:42 pm
Addict

Ive had 1 fail on me a long way from home and I dont want another, what were the symptoms this time?

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2008, 3:08 am Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadicool59
Ive had 1 fail on me a long way from home and I dont want another, what were the symptoms this time?
Luckily for me, the same as last time:

A very easy and gradual thing. first the bike throws an ABS master warning light (once in a while and then more frequently)and then the speedometer will start bouncing around when you back up. then it becomes possessed and reads somewhere between 0 an d 170 mph at about 65. Then it just stops indicating at all. This is due to the metal fragments building up on the magnetic pick up for the antilock/speedo.

So the case will be full of fragments, but I just will ride until next week.

By the way I misposted, I just rolled over 69K, not that that matters much.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2008, 7:02 am
Enthusiast

Geeze Richard! I read on our local club's bulletin board just last week that BMW was extending the warranty on FDs, is that true? Anyway, a new FD like changing sprockets and chain only we dont get much warning like a chain would give.

69K is more than triple mileage for a chain, course not many chains would stand up to the GTs power and weight.

12 Super Tenere 1200 (coming soon)
10 MTS1200 standard (riding)
09 Monster 696 (wife's ride)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2008, 7:39 am
Enthusiast

Are chains weak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanson
69K is more than triple mileage for a chain, course not many chains would stand up to the GTs power and weight.
The fact is that most every chain above bicycle size can easily stand up to many times the GT's power and weight. Observe if you will, the motorcycle drag racing scene alone.

There's absolutely no excuse for FD failures after all the years BMW has been building them. Even when they work, shaft drives are inefficient and thus eat up a higher percentage of engine power than that consumed by a chain or belt.

I ran belts on four Harley's over the years and found them absolutely troublefree. It's time for BMW to get rid of the older technology it keeps clinging to and join the 21st Century as well. Even 'old fashioned' Harley-Davidson abandoned shaft drives after WWII for chains, then switched to belts many years ago.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2008, 8:30 am
Addict

true dat!!!!

ditto here.........shaft drives are a last century solution. harleys regularly go 100k miles without belt attention, and dont give me that story about torque. shaft drives are soooooooooooo last century, and i cant think of a single advantage to having one. u'd think bmw, with all the price pressure, would go to belts as a cost reduction. when are they going to get the message, when no one buys their bikes?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2008, 9:47 am
Veteran

Well, sucks to have to go through it again. Think I'd be rippin mad too.

I'm curious how often you changed your FD oil? I've gotten into the habit of doing mine every time I do the oil. So every 5000 or so with synthetic. So far, 23k, all is good and clear except for the first 2 changes.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2008, 11:29 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbeemer
u'd think bmw, with all the price pressure, would go to belts as a cost reduction.
What, and lose all the service revenue for changing the FD oil on the lifetime sealed FD?

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2008, 11:46 am
Veteran

Very good info on what to expect in a FD failure! Nice to know that "Speed Sensor" has another duty to perform.

BMW ought to get its act together on these drives. They outsource too often to keep tabs on the quality control for their bearings. The flaky Chinese ones aren't the greatest.

BMW should go to the "Ceramic Ball Bearing" as they can almost run without oil, run cooler overall, and don't flake and self-destruct as the current line. Might cost them another $20 a bearing, but the maintenance and labor costs would more than justify their expense - to say nothing of their longevity.

"Listening BMW?"

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode