Would you recommend Kisan pathBlazer & tailBlazer? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2008, 12:19 am Thread Starter
Noob

Question Would you recommend Kisan pathBlazer & tailBlazer?

I'd like to get modulating headlights and brakelights for my recently-purchased 2007 GT. Would anybody offer feedback on the Kisan pathBlazer and/or tailBlazer?

Do they work well?

How difficult is installation?

Anybody tried modulating the LOW headlight beam?

Thanks,

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2008, 1:11 am

My Opinion

I have the tailBlazers. I'm sure others will say they are disappointed in them, but I like them, and I like the service I got from Kisan. I bought them because I didn't want to have to rewire anything, and I had a fear of the Canbus system in these bikes. The installation wasn't without problems however.
  • When I first installed them (2 bulb set) one would flash but the other wouldn't even light - it stayed dim with just a glow. I switched the bulbs and the problem stayed on the same side. Plus, the brake warning light came on. After a call to Kisan, I learned according to them that most of the time the problem is BMW, and the assembly line workers don't always pay attention to polarity of the wires on the sockets. He had me switch the wires on the socket that wouldn't flash, and taa daa, the bulbs worked perfectly. The dealer reset the warning light at a later service.
  • I later had another brake warning failure, and the dealer said it was the taillights again, but it ended up being a tight brake wear cable on one of the front pads. Fixed under warranty.
As far as I am concerned, BMW 2-strikes, Kisan 0.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2008, 1:24 am
Would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTHunt
I'd like to get modulating headlights and brakelights for my recently-purchased 2007 GT. Would anybody offer feedback on the Kisan pathBlazer and/or tailBlazer?
While I really like the idea, I've read too many articles about problems with the tailblazer. I opted for the P3+ lights instead -- adding extra brake/running lights means no canbus worries at all and you still get all the benefit of extra blinky lights. I'm very happy with the PS3+ lights, installation was a snap and they work great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2008, 6:22 am
Noob

I fitted Tailblazers about three months ago. Got used to the warning and bulb failure indicators each time brakes were applied but both bulbs failed without warning. Refitted the originals.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2008, 7:06 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman
I have the tailBlazers. I'm sure others will say they are disappointed in them, but I like them, and I like the service I got from Kisan. I bought them because I didn't want to have to rewire anything, and I had a fear of the Canbus system in these bikes. The installation wasn't without problems however.
  • When I first installed them (2 bulb set) one would flash but the other wouldn't even light - it stayed dim with just a glow. I switched the bulbs and the problem stayed on the same side. Plus, the brake warning light came on. After a call to Kisan, I learned according to them that most of the time the problem is BMW, and the assembly line workers don't always pay attention to polarity of the wires on the sockets. He had me switch the wires on the socket that wouldn't flash, and taa daa, the bulbs worked perfectly. The dealer reset the warning light at a later service.
  • I later had another brake warning failure, and the dealer said it was the taillights again, but it ended up being a tight brake wear cable on one of the front pads. Fixed under warranty.
As far as I am concerned, BMW 2-strikes, Kisan 0.
I think your score is off by at least one. When BMW assembles the bikes polarity for these bulbs is completely irrelevant. To operate the way BMW designed the circuit, this wiring can be either way. So to blame BMW for this is unreasonable. It was you and Kisan that changed the operational requirement, not BMW.

Why people buy these bikes and then continue to give BMW a bad wrap is beyond me. BMW has been nothing but "OUTSTANDING" to me in every way.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2008, 10:23 am

Quote:
Why people buy these bikes and then continue to give BMW a bad wrap is beyond me. BMW has been nothing but "OUTSTANDING" to me in every way.
Thanks for your opinion too Chris. I am very happy with my bike, the service I get from my dealer, AND the help I got from Kisan in solving the problem at hand. I'm glad you have had complete success with your bike as well.

You were helpful in pointing out that BMW must not care about polarity in the taillight circuit, but after that you - you stepped on me and all of us by your quote above.

I don't think any brand or product is perfect. Many of us use this forum to learn from other's successes as well as mistakes - including our favorite manufacturer. Don't put them too high on a pedestal my friend at the expensive of dissing everybody else here.

I said nothing derogatory about BMW or Kisan other than to offer that apparently BMW does not CARE enough about the color of wires chosen to represent a difference in polarity in their tail lighting circuits. Period. What do I really think? I think manufacturers - any - should be more diligent in using the same color wires to represent ground vs. non-ground, and hook them up in their circuits as if they really do. That's pretty simple, and pretty universal. I don't care if they choose brown, black, or pink with green strips. Just be consistent. To a manufacturer like Kisan, consistency was something they were looking for from all brand bikes they supply solutions for,... and BMW represented a problem for them. To Kisan's credit, they supplied a working solution, and I am happy. They even shipped extra bulbs to keep me happy. Payoff? Nope, just on the good customer service pretense that I might have a bad one. These are not LEDs, but one of the benefits of having an electronic circuit in the lamp base is the actual bulbs are easy to find and easy to replace. I carry a spare bulb under the seat so I don't worry if one should eventually fail - knowing it will.

Love ya man.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2008, 11:03 am

Question

I really like the idea of the tailblazer as well, but upon reading up online (where few people share the success stories) I've been sufficiently scared off of buying them for now. If you decide to go with them please share your results.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2008, 9:57 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by three_west
I really like the idea of the tailblazer as well, but upon reading up online (where few people share the success stories) I've been sufficiently scared off of buying them for now. If you decide to go with them please share your results.
I'm getting the feeling P3s may be the way to go for fewer potential headaches.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2008, 11:13 pm

I've been really happy with my P3's (and now the Photon Blasters) from Jerry Skene. They work great and are REALLY bright. They certainly get drivers' attention behind you. Also even a klutz like me can put them on without screwing up the wiring, Canbus, etc. Technical and sales support from Jerry is excellent and prompt too. I too was scared off the Kisan products from all the tales of woe with them on this forum.
Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode