Thanks for the Tips - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2008, 12:43 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the Tips

Hi all !
Been here for over a year (since I bought my new '07 GT) but this is my first post on this forum.
I'd just like to thank many of you for all the good advice and great tips.

For instance: I've installed Heli bar risers, electrical connectors, harnesses, fuse box and accessory outlets from Eastern Beaver, a Stebel Nautilus air horn under the skins on the left side, Pit Bull stands, Kissan Tailblazers (that work by the way), and I'd like to add some PIAA lights maybe this fall to go with the Xenon headlight.

Today I took my baby in for it's Level II service @ 13,000 miles, and because of listening to you, I made sure I got the EWS key antenna replaced, a new v3 airbox, and the tech said they flashed the ECU with v12 firmware. I had a few instances of high idle and bucking, so I'll wait and see how it goes now. The throttle seemed smoother today, but I'll wait to see how it goes. I'm going to reset the adaptive settings tomorrow.

I love this bike. The Harley is getting quite a bit of sit time. Last summer the GT even went to Sturgis.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2008, 1:26 am
Would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman
Today I took my baby in for it's Level II service @ 13,000 miles, and because of listening to you, I made sure I got the EWS key antenna replaced, a new v3 airbox, and the tech said they flashed the ECU with v12 firmware. I had a few instances of high idle and bucking, so I'll wait and see how it goes now. The throttle seemed smoother today, but I'll wait to see how it goes. I'm going to reset the adaptive settings tomorrow.
Sounds like our bikes are very similar. I haven't had any problems that would need an airbox or software update yet.

Do you have ESA? If so, does v12 fix the reported problem with the ESA preload settings that were reported from v11?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2008, 9:06 am Thread Starter

You know Bob, I'm just not sure yet. I wish I were more organized. One of issues I had them look at - in my service request - was that I couldn't feel the bike move up or down when selecting one, two, or luggage settings (preload), and would they check that out. When I picked it up, they were quick to tell me about the warranty items that had been taken care of on the bill, including that the firmware had been updated. The tech writer said that was due to the air box change. I got so excited to hear my major issues were actually taken care of, I forgot to ask specifically about the preload. The two tech writers and I got into a short discussion about which version of firmware and I couldn't get an answer out of them other than a sheepish "whatever is being used now". A working tech heading into the service office overheard, and he said it was v12. I don't know any further details, or if any of them were actually right.

Maybe I need to buy one of those diagnostic tools from South Africa. Anyone recall the name of the brand? (I'll do a search).

I'll see if I can find the secret handshake in the manual to set the preload (stopped, ignition on but not engine running, or is running) and let you know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2008, 12:46 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman

Maybe I need to buy one of those diagnostic tools from South Africa. Anyone recall the name of the brand? (I'll do a search).

I'll see if I can find the secret handshake in the manual to set the preload (stopped, ignition on but not engine running, or is running) and let you know.
http://www.hex.co.za/gs911/index.html

The version no. your tech gave you is the number of the CD they are currently using in their diagnostic computer, the GT-1. The actual version of the software the GT-1 decides to install into your ECU will be displayed by the GS 911. My ECU software was upgraded almost a year ago using CD10, and the GT-1 declined to make any changes to it with CD11 or CD12, even tho I was reporting problems.

Preload ESA setting:

1 - start motor, but keep bike motionless.
2 - press and release ESA button - ESA settings will appear.
3 - immediately press and hold button. Repeat 'til desired preload setting appears.
4 - release button and wait. Preload display will blink while preload is changing.
5 - display will return to normal when complete.

Start riding.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2008, 3:37 pm Thread Starter

Guy,

Thanks for the link to the GS 911 and your experience with the "number" the techs threw out.

I found out how to change the preload before I read this reply and tried it. It didn't change the height at all. Now I have to ask,... can anybody confirm whether changing the preload actually changes the ride height?

Thanks
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2008, 4:44 pm
Veteran

Rainman,

Having a 30" inseam and weighing in at just under 150 lbs, I can state unequivocally that changing the preload should definitely change the height of the bike. Sitting astride the bike, I can feel it as it makes the change.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode