Aeroflow Windscreen Review - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2008, 5:03 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Aeroflow Windscreen Review

Just mounted an Aeroflow windscreen on the 08 GT and thought I'd share my impressions:

Mounting was a snap following the unique hand drawing Aeroflow directions. Stock shield came off in 2 minutes and new one was on in 5 more. I bought this Aeroflow used from a seller on this board and it was in great condition and had all the hardware to mount it too. The shield seems to be a quality piece and looks nice compared to the stock shield as this one was the standard height (good for riders up to 5'-10" or so, a tall shield is available, I'm 5-10 and 1/2 so standard good for me). It measures just about the same height as stock, but has a reverse flip molded in to the top that is supposed to direct the airflow up. There is also an inner panel that mounts under the shield that is to function as a splitter to steer air from under the windshield and help keep it tight to the inside of the screen (laminar flow). The Aeroflw is a few inches wider than the stock shield. My shield is clear and the inner splitter is dark smoke which looks cool, like a small sport bike screen.

Took the bike out for a run and am very pleased. At low speeds with shield all the way down it is mush like the stock tall shield. Raising it up one or two inches quiets things down a little, but raising it higher results in a considerable reduction in turbulence and noise. I wear a Shoei X11 full face and earplugs.

On the highway the results were similar, with the shield really quieting things down at speed. Took it up to 80+ (had to pass that dump truck before my exit ). No fuss just a smoother ride than the stock shield.

So, my evaluation so far is that this shield makes the bike a LOT more pleasant to ride. I really like that I can now hear the engine noise, as it sounds great when you wind it out. I wasn't really happy with the stock shield as highway speeds were noisy and the turbulence, especially on my arms and shoulders was horrible. The estra width of the Aeroflow has significantly reduced the wind on my arms and shoulders.

I should point out that with the shield up high vision was very good, but airflow is reduced enough to notice the heat on a hot day. This will probably be appreciated in cold weather, but hot weather riders will have to keep the shield down to get enough air.

After my test ride I returned home to install the Aerogards. These are plastic extensions that attach to the fairing sides in front and run down the side of the fairing. In effect they widen the fairing right where it looks too narrow as you look forward, from in front of your hands down to the top of your legs. The idea is to steer the airflow and create a larger bubble of quiet air.... I will take the bike out later to test the effect.

I was lucky enough to find these pieces used, so I didn't have to pay full Aeroflow prices which would be $500+. Not sure if I would want to pay that much, but having tried the shield out it looks like it will increase my comfort to the point where I can now concentrate on the pain in my ass from the stock seat.

I'll post Aerogards results later.

OK: Just got back from a ride with the new Aeroguards attached.

Results: Those of you who came from the LT may recall the effect of the adjustable "wings that were located below the windshield, they filled in the area between the windshield lower edge and the fairing sides.

Think of the Aeroguards as the same idea. Air that used to spill around this area and cause turbulence is now pushed a little further out and away from you. What I noticed today is that I could run with the windshield lower and get reduced turbulence with the Aerogurds than without them. At lower speeds all was nice and quiet.

On the highway I did notice some buffeting, as if the bike were now "wider" to the wind, noticeable but not a problem. When I raised the shield a little higher everything got quiet and I'd say the aeroguards added a little to the positive effect. I suspect in high, gusty winds when passing a line of 18 wheelers you might feel things a bit more than stock, but I'm not sure I liked the way the stock bike-shield combo worked either. I think (hope?) that the increased shield and guards will provide a warmer ride in cooler weather. Other riders have mentioned that the guards cracked at extremely high speeds, and I can see how that might be an issue but mine are fine after a blast up to 80+ today, and I don't plane to cuise along faster than that in this part of NY State.

They took about 20 minutes to install, a little more fiddely than the windshield. They blend in to the lines of the bike quite well, my bike is dark graphite and the Aeroguards I got are dark smoke tinted plastic. They attach into two existing screw holes and use 3M Dual Lock fastener material to secure to the fairing sides. Once again, the supplied parts and hardware for attachment are high quality and complete. Instructions are excellent. I do question whether the use of 3M Dual Lock will stand up to long term use.

Appearance: After installing all of the parts I took a step back and looked at the bike and I must say I like the sporty look of the shield from the side. From the seat it looks a little less sleek than the stick shield. The Aeroguards tinted plastic blends in quite well with my bike, your mileage may vary, and I'm not sure they have attained an integrated look.

All in all I am quite pleased with the Aeroflow shield and guard combination and can't wait for a cold say to blast around with out sweating or freezing.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project

Last edited by lhendrick; Sep 8th, 2008 at 6:40 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2008, 1:29 am
Rookie

Thanks for the review and nice job. As a newer owner, I'm still scouting for opinions on various items available for our bikes.

2008 K1200GT
2005 FZ1
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2008, 10:17 am
Rookie

I had an Aeroflow on my R1100RT and it did a great job of blocking the weather and noise so that made it perfect for rides when it was below 60 degrees. Anything above that though it blocks so much air as to make it too warm behind the screen for me and it cost me approx 3 miles per gallon pushing the added drag of a barn door.

I just got an '07 GT and installed a "Laminar Lip", but haven't ridden it yet, so I'll see if that's going to be an acceptable alternative. If it blocks too much air in warm weather it's easy to remove & replace and I could put it in the top case during changing weather conditions on a trip.

'07 K1200GT
'98 R1100RT Sold
'00 Honda F4 Sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode