When did you replace your rear tire? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2008, 10:07 am Thread Starter
Noob

Question When did you replace your rear tire?

Recently my brother (a self proclaimed motorcycle expert) suggested my rear tire was a candidate for replacement. After a personal inspection I disagreed. Okay, the tire is starting to develop a slightly worn area in the center but significant tread is still visible in the center with no other significant wear and tear noted elsewhere. This is the stock tire on an '07 GT with 4000 miles on it. Experience with other bikes suggests that the tires should last several thousand more miles taking into consideration my somewhat conservative (non living on the edge) riding style. So I'm looking for some feed back to determine the mileage I can expect to get out of this tire. As always SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT so if it has to go so be it. Thanks in advance for the info.

'77 KZ 650
'96 Dyna Wide Glyde
'07 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2008, 11:03 am
Enthusiast

What kind of tire is it? Metzler Z6's are notorious for going from looking fine (in the center where there are no wear indicators) to cord showing all the way around, in a few hundred miles. I have no idea how the B'stones wear.

I used to replace the rear Z6 at 4K miles just to lessen the chance of a nasty surprise. YMMV.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2008, 11:06 am
Enthusiast

I'm guessing you've got the z6. I replaced mine at 9k miles, but the profile was uncomfortable after 5k, due to the fact that most of my riding is on freeways. I don't feel safety was an issue between 5-9k, just comfort. If I were 2 up a lot, I might feel differently, but would have gotten to at least 7k. Moderate rider, though with the Dunlop RoadSmarts, I don't have any chicken strips.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2008, 11:34 am
Noob

Thumbs up K1200GT-07-rear tire

My first rear was a Bridgestone 020 (stock)-8K, second tire was a Michelin Pilot Road 1-8.5K
right now I have a Michelin Pilot Road 2 on the back and it is nearing 12K. I have two more Pilot Road 2's waiting in the shed, 12K on a rear on this bike is outstanding!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2008, 2:01 pm
Noob

07 GT tire replacement

I have an 07 GT like you,12800 miles on the machine and I just put my fourth set of tires on the bike yesterday. I am 64 so it payes me to be a little conservative yet the riding I do here in S/W Missouri is twisties and on a lot of "chip-n-seal" surfaced roads.I weigh 280 pounds so I suppose that is one reason why I eat up tires like I get a discount on them.The rear tire I replaced had a six inch section of steal showing,I was procrastanating.I would say your tire does not owe you any more service,good luck,safe riding.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2008, 2:45 pm
Would rather be riding

My BT020 went from looking OK to belts showing all the way around over the course of about 300 miles. I'd say it depends a lot on driving style, but keep an eye on it. This was after about 5K miles.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2008, 7:56 pm
Enthusiast

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a pic of a Z6?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2008, 9:11 pm
Would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a pic of a Z6?
Nope, it's a Bridgestone Battlax 020, stock tire for the K1200GT. (I should know, I bought the tire and took the picture!) The Z6 tread pattern does look similar, but the little flairs that connect the major cross-tire tread pattern are closer to the center of the tire on the Z6. You can see them right at the edges on the tire in the picture.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2008, 11:30 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafidebob
Nope, it's a Bridgestone Battlax 020, stock tire for the K1200GT. (I should know, I bought the tire and took the picture!) The Z6 tread pattern does look similar, but the little flairs that connect the major cross-tire tread pattern are closer to the center of the tire on the Z6. You can see them right at the edges on the tire in the picture.
My original Bridgestone 020s were close to the wear bars (rear) and scalloped (front) at 6,600 miles.

The bulk of my riding is on the flat - 50/50 city/highway. A few trips and twisties, but not many. I am a relatively gentle rider. The rear tire took a nail. I replaced both tires. Otherwise, I would have replaced them by 7,000-7,500 miles at most.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2008, 12:20 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagner
I have an 07 GT like you,12800 miles on the machine and I just put my fourth set of tires on the bike yesterday.
Geez.....around here some of these guys think I'm nuts going through tires like I do......but 4 sets in under 13,000 miles! Damn, if you were female I think I'd be in love!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode