Considering a GT to replace my ST 1300... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2008, 8:47 pm Thread Starter

Considering a GT to replace my ST 1300...

Yep, I almost closed the deal on a brand new graphit 08. I love everything about this bike. But a few questions remains. Coming from a ST1300, I am a bit apprehensive about :

The reliability issues and the numerous recalls. But the salesman worked hard to reassure me along with a good friend of mine who already owns a 07 model. and is more than happy about everything. For him (and the majority of this site's members I beleive) it's worth it to work out the issues as the bike gets better.

The price is correct . If I'm adding all the extras I want on a new 08 ST, the price difference is less than 2000 and I still don't have the ESA suspension and OEM cruise control.

It now leaves the tip over protection. Oups! It appears that the GT has none. Can it be added? I know we are supposed to ride a bike and not drop it. But as a riding instructor I have witnessed a lot of low speed falls and tip overs. I'm sure this is a costly experience. I dropped my ST twice and suffered no damage... except to my pride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2008, 1:14 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvainB
Yep, I almost closed the deal on a brand new graphit 08. I love everything about this bike. But a few questions remains. Coming from a ST1300, I am a bit apprehensive about :

The reliability issues and the numerous recalls. But the salesman worked hard to reassure me along with a good friend of mine who already owns a 07 model. and is more than happy about everything. For him (and the majority of this site's members I beleive) it's worth it to work out the issues as the bike gets better.

The price is correct . If I'm adding all the extras I want on a new 08 ST, the price difference is less than 2000 and I still don't have the ESA suspension and OEM cruise control.

It now leaves the tip over protection. Oups! It appears that the GT has none. Can it be added? I know we are supposed to ride a bike and not drop it. But as a riding instructor I have witnessed a lot of low speed falls and tip overs. I'm sure this is a costly experience. I dropped my ST twice and suffered no damage... except to my pride.
It sounds like youve answered all your own questions, just do it and take your own advise on low speed manoeuvering.
Once you get the bugs out of it you wont be able to get the smile off your face. Enjoy

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2008, 1:49 am
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
...It now leaves the tip over protection. Oups! It appears that the GT has none. Can it be added? I know we are supposed to ride a bike and not drop it. But as a riding instructor I have witnessed a lot of low speed falls and tip overs. I'm sure this is a costly experience. I dropped my ST twice and suffered no damage... except to my pride.
Here's a good source:

Jerry's place

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05
'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
RCB, AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2008, 6:45 am
I'm riding

just curiuos - what's wrong with your Honda? What makes you willing to replace it?

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2008, 7:26 am

Honestly, I really think the relibility issues you are "concerned" with are over exagerated. Mainly, be sure the EWS recall is completed before you buy, and be sure your final drive oil is changed at your break in service. Otherwise, there's nothing to be concerned about. I came from an ST also, you'll love the amenities of the GT, and the lighter weight and better handling. Also, the GT is so much more stable at higher speed than the ST.

As far as tip over protection. The GT may not have the guards like the ST; however, lugging about 100-150lbs less weight ought to eliminate that problem. My advice is don't drop the bike.

Final advice. Ride the GT first, and I would try to ride an RT also. The RT may surprise you, and it is the better sport/TOURER of the two. Happy hunting.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2008, 7:44 am

I own a 2005 ST1300. Great bike. I do however have concerns about it's stability. I am in the process of rebuilding a crash damaged 07 GT. I will be selling my ST when the rebuild is done.

I think it is a great bike. I know it does not have tip over protection, but some owners have fitted aftermarket frame sliders that will help in a tip over. Do a search, you should find some info on this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2008, 7:49 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman05
just curiuos - what's wrong with your Honda? What makes you willing to replace it?
Hello

September 1st a female cager making a left hand turn T-Boned me on the st and my wife on her Hornet 599 while we were crossing the intersection at about 35 kmh. She didn't see us I was thrown in the air and landed flat on my back, my wife got it by the bumper, her pelvis hit the gas tank and she tumbled over the hood landing on her right knee. I was in front and my wife at my right about 10 feet behind. Results are multiple contusions for both of us, no broken bones but still 3 weeks home for recovery for me and probably double for the loved one, and total loss of our bikes.

I've been riding for the last 40 years, dirt and road riding well mixed together. and I still have my honeymoon ride a 1978 BMW r100/7, my wr 426 yamaha needs new knobbys again . The ST is a very good bike, but my lust is turned toward the GT. I take this accident as an opportunity. The reliability issues seem to get under control and the brand new 2008 graphite with package 3 is getting all my attention .

Thanks for the slider info, it's just what I needed.

Glad to have found this site. You seem to be a very knowledgable and active site

Bests Regards

Sylvain
08 k1200gt
08 F800S wife's
02 wr426
1978 r100/7
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2008, 8:58 am
I'm riding

Quote:
Hello

September 1st a female cager making a left hand turn T-Boned me on the st and my wife on her Hornet 599 while we were crossing the intersection at about 35 kmh. She didn't see us I was thrown in the air and landed flat on my back, my wife got it by the bumper, her pelvis hit the gas tank and she tumbled over the hood landing on her right knee. I was in front and my wife at my right about 10 feet behind. Results are multiple contusions for both of us, no broken bones but still 3 weeks home for recovery for me and probably double for the loved one, and total loss of our bikes.

I've been riding for the last 40 years, dirt and road riding well mixed together. and I still have my honeymoon ride a 1978 BMW r100/7, my wr 426 yamaha needs new knobbys again . The ST is a very good bike, but my lust is turned toward the GT. I take this accident as an opportunity. The reliability issues seem to get under control and the brand new 2008 graphite with package 3 is getting all my attention .

Thanks for the slider info, it's just what I needed.

Glad to have found this site. You seem to be a very knowledgable and active site

Sorry to read about your mishap.

As far as the KGT reliability is concerned - I put 60000 km on the clock of my GT'06 and apart from recalls I had only one warranty replacement - the shock absorber. But I am still not sure it was necessary. Nothing else was broken or replaced/exept the tyres and rear brake pads and sparkplugs/. Even the battery is still the OEM initial.
Best luck with your choice.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's

Last edited by easyman05; Sep 13th, 2008 at 9:03 am.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2008, 9:57 am

Don't forget that one satified customer tells a friend, an unhappy one tells everybody. The vocal minority I call them. The vast majority of us are very happy with the bike. I still haven't done my EWS recall, just waiting for it to break. I carry a spare ring antenna and key so I can "hack" my bike if need be.

It will take a little getting used to compared to your ST, but if you've made it this far, you won't be disappointed.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2008, 11:08 am
Veteran

I am sorry to hear about your accident. I hope that you and your wife are feeling 100% better soon.

When I was looking to buy, the ST didn't make my short list.

I am very happy with my GT, after more than a year. I plan to keep it a long time. The real problem is thinking of excuses to go out riding on it.

My only concern is the long term viability of the final drive. If you are buying a new bike, I would think about buying an extended warranty along with it, just for the peace of mind. Remember that extended warranties are available from more than one company, you should read the terms, and the price is negotiable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode