Remus flange leak? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2008, 4:14 am Thread Starter
Addict

Remus flange leak?

I have just fitted a Remus slip on for the GT. I fitted it tonight and cant seem to find a position/angle where I can eliminate all leakage at the flange.

Its only a small amount of exhaust escaping but Im concerned it will cause backfiring when hot.

Can any other Remus users let me know if this is this normal or maybe some tips to get it right.

Cheers

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2008, 5:43 am

I have a Remus for mine. I did not have any exhaust leak.

Please let me know how the bike runs...have you had the airbox and SW upgrade? Mine exhibited a greater hesitation on the bottom end with the Remus exhaust on. Dealer recommended that I switch back to the stock muffler due to warranty issues.

I am now trying to get them to do an upgrade to my airbox and SW...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2008, 6:35 am Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF4MMN

Please let me know how the bike runs...have you had the airbox and SW upgrade? Mine exhibited a greater hesitation on the bottom end with the Remus exhaust on. Dealer recommended that I switch back to the stock muffler due to warranty issues.

Air Box and software done.
If I hold my hand close to the flange, directly underneath where the tightening bolt is, i can feel the leak.

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2008, 10:33 am

How does it run with the upgrades and the Remus muffler?
How were you able to persuade the dealer to do the airbox and SW upgrade?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2008, 10:46 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF4MMN

There are no warranty issues with Remus. One of the few that is approved and sold at dealerships. Like most dealerships-ignorant. Have had slip-on for over a year now and yes, a little popping on blip and down shift. Nothing to fret about-They all do that . For your muffler. Loosen up all bolts, fiddle ( tech term) with the alignment to muffler and to header to get a good fit. Lock up the clamp from connector pipe to header and snug but dont tighten up bolts that attach from muffler to hanger bracket. Take a rubber mallet and go around the exit of the muffler to get it really snug to the connector pipe. reinstall springs. Oh, yea, very minor flat ( lean) spot around 2k under no load. Just had the new and improved airbox and firmware -12.0, needed for new box installed. J-Low is running just fine.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2008, 9:58 pm

I was told by my local dealer last Thursday that the Remus aftermarket exhaust voided the warranty. I had to put the original muffler back on Thursday night.

I took the bike back to the same dealer today and complained of hesitation, and they said that they uploaded new SW. But afterwards I still have driveability issues at 70 mph in 6th gear @ 4,000 rpm. If one is cruising at 70, if you open the throttle just slightly, the bike does not also respond the same. Sometimes it accelerates porportionally to throttle input and sometimes it feels like it bogs and if you roll the throttle just a bit more, it surges ahead.

I have noticed the hesitation in the middle of curves at slower speeds, but I have had more experience with it hesitating cruising down the interstate.

I have had better experience with fuel injection on other bikes (Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki...etc).

Does anyone have any ideas? Original Airbox issue?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2008, 8:50 pm
Noob

Is this just a Remus issue? I just put a Two Brothers on my 07 and it seems to run great. Of course I haven't run it hard yet. I can't imagine why a slip on can would void a warranty.
Just curious.

Kit 07KGT
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2008, 10:00 pm
Strafist

They would have to conclusively prove that the can caused whatever problem the bike is in for warranty work.

"Sorry. Your aftermarket can caused your brake sensor wire to bust, thereby throwing a fault. Denied. Next."

Riiiiiiight.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2008, 4:51 pm
Noob

Smile

I just installed a Remus slip on on my GT. It is the first year model. Ran great with no modifications done on anything else. No flat spots anywhere. Is my bike in need of any recalls or updates?. I only have around 5k on it as I have several bikes and only ride it when the "Boss" wants to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode