Need info on OEM Body Panel vendors - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2008, 11:33 pm Thread Starter

Need info on OEM Body Panel vendors

This is my first bike accident in 40 years. God bless armored jackets. One bandage repaired me. Right body fairing, hard bag, very bad damage. Only going 15 mph into a curb (my fault)

Need to locate supplier/web site/ etc. of 2007 K1200GT body panels, OEM and painted. Want to do the work myself.
Any vendor web sites appreciated. Was hoping to avoid dealers, if possible.
Tx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2008, 4:05 am
Veteran

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Glad you turned out all right. Thank God for armor. The GT on the other hand is mighty expensive to repair. At least $3500 for an entire side.

I have all of the tupperware for a right side repair. The bike was knocked over in a parking lot by vandals and the insurance company helped with my repair. The panels are obviously not perfect, but are probably in better shape than yours. Nothing cracked or broken, just superficial paint damage. I'd take $500 plus shipping for the whole right side including the center piece (headlamp surround). Even my mirror is in reasonable shape if interested and I'll throw that in. Color is CGM.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2008, 7:49 am
Strafist

To find perfect, brand new parts, you'll have to use a dealer. I ordered the left and right panels from Max BMW. Their parts fiche is also great for seeing how the bike works.

I had the new panels sent directly to the painter for the custom job I was having done. I then rode down there and swapped panels. He still has the originals in graphite.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2008, 8:52 am
Addict

My GT fell over while I was trying to stand on 1" of hail pellets on a mountain road trying to figure out what to do, and how I let myself get into that predicament. My feet literally went out from under me and all it did was fall over on the right side. I'm talking 0 mph. Thank God the side bag protected the stainless can!

$2,500.00 body damage. Front cowl, right main panel, right side bag panel, right brake handle (as if there is a left!), right mirror, right handlebar counter-weight, right tank mount. I found the brake lever to be a bitch to get to. The tank mount was the "deepest" piece. The cowl was surprisingly easy. Not only all that stuff, but I had "skinned" my bike with 3M "ClearBra". Had to do that all over again.

You can save hundreds by going through Chicago BMW "IF" you can deal with their disgruntled parts people and ridiculously slow shipping methods. Use the MAX online fiche to look up part numbers and compare with Chicago.

Good luck.

B.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2008, 11:07 am Thread Starter

Tx for Information

I was really surprized MAX BMW offers new painted side panels for only $600. That looks like the way to go.

I will keep in mind the offer for the damaged fairing if this does not work out. Our local dealer wanted $1500 just to paint my current one, before this accident, due to a dead stop drop that just scrached the sides.

Tx again for the advise. I will let you know how it turns out, I am going to take it to the dealer to see what the insurance cost would be.

We had a big storm last week (Ike) and a big tree branch fell on my van costing $2,500 so my insurance company may not be very fond of me.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2008, 12:38 pm
2 heads are better than 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by graystoke
I was really surprized MAX BMW offers new painted side panels for only $600. That looks like the way to go.

I will keep in mind the offer for the damaged fairing if this does not work out. Our local dealer wanted $1500 just to paint my current one, before this accident, due to a dead stop drop that just scrached the sides.

Tx again for the advise. I will let you know how it turns out, I am going to take it to the dealer to see what the insurance cost would be.

We had a big storm last week (Ike) and a big tree branch fell on my van costing $2,500 so my insurance company may not be very fond of me.
That sounds like highway robbery to me. I dropped my bike in Utah (slow speed scratches to the left panel and custom painted top case). The painter my dealer uses will repair and repaint the left panel and the the damaged part of the top case for $550. That's roughly the cost of just the side panel, so this seems like he's giving me a pretty good deal.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2008, 10:35 pm

Gray,

Being in the same neck of the woods, Im wondering which of the 2 dealers you went to see? I suspect I know which one...but you should give the other one a shot, they are easy to deal with and dont have to pay for the boutique dealership overhead. You could save some major dough.

F

05LT
07GT
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 7:21 am
Noob

I agree with Florian. I didn't even know about the dealer on Brookpark Rd. until a couple of months ago. Maybe that is the one you went to, but I would be surprised.
Bruce is the service manager there. I'm pretty confident that his price would be fair, might not be low, but he wouldn't try to stick it to you.
I recently bought an '07 GT from a private party in Minneapolis and took it to Bruce for the 600 mile service. I picked it up on Saturday. On Monday he gives me a call just to ask me if I like the way the bike is running. He was also a big help in removing the stupid f#$%%#&! Power Commander that the previous owner put on. (I won't repeat that story) I did it myself but he was willing to help me on the phone with questions I had.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode