Alternator died, and then the battery depleted and I got stalled.... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2008, 3:17 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Alternator died, and then the battery depleted and I got stalled....

Hi,

I went to the French Cevennes for a spirited ride with 7 buddies, all on BMW bikes, last week for a 3700 km ride in the twisties over there and experienced my first real stall on my K12GT '06!

Last Thursday, after a fast stint on the local roads, the red warning triangle came on on my dashboard, with the battery symbol above it: I knew I could get in trouble then!

As I was ahead of the group (all the other bikes were R types ;o) ) I waited for the bike to cool down and we connected a GS911 module to the K12GT, but that didn't report any error/problem? We noticed a sharp high-pitched noise on the left side of the bike when revving it, and as the alternator has no belt drive, we were left with questions. After contacting BMW roadside assistance, I decided to try to get the bike to our hotel, 140 km from where it was. Deconnected the low beam bulb to save the battery, and on I went, braking as less as possible, as this consumes a lot of electricity with the power assisted brakes.

After 50 km the red triangle disappeared, and the alternator gave power again to the battery, recharging it. I was possitively surprised, as I could continue my journey and hook up with the guys again on the GPS roadbook. Next day, Friday, no problems whatsoever, and we continued our journey.

However yesterday, Saturday, around noon, after a high revved small pursuit, the red triangle + battery symbol came on again! It went out after some 10 kms, we had to refuel, and after that it stayed on until the bike died some 50 km further on.

First the external power to the Garmin GPS fell out, after that the ABS system died, then the BC died, then the odometer died with the rev counter, and at last the engine cut off, leaving me stranded with a exhausted battery in the middle of nowhere, 30 km from Reims, the champagne city in France.

BMW roadside assistance got me out of there 2 hours later, and I got home by train for the last 300 km, 6 hours later than planned.

The bike will be brought back to my dealer this week coming. First analysis indicates a faulty bearing on the alternator, but tearing it apart will tell us more...

After experiencing several recalls on my K12GT (faulty 5th gear and replacing the entire tranny, the airbox recall, swapping the seats, the ring sensor for the alarm, the centerstand, a failing final drive, and I forget some minor stuff...) this has been the first time I really was left at the side of the road with my K12GT!

I had a good 1 week ride with my buddies however, and the last 300 km were by train, so all in all not too dreadful.

Wondering what the verdict will be next week, when I get the stats?

Rgds

Luc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode