GT Fuel tank removal steps - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2008, 2:52 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

GT Fuel tank removal steps

I was in the process of trying to disconnect the secondary air injection to eliminate the "loud" backfires I was getting while using the Remus slip-on exhaust that came with the bike. I was able to get to the point where the tank was free to be lifted. I could only get to the point where I could lift the tank 1/2 way before the myriad of hoses and cables prevented me from going any further.
If I can get my big hand in there, what needs to be disconnected before lifting the tank any further? I can see the fuel lines, are these the fittings that should be replaced with the metal ones as a precaution? Are these fittings made to prevent fuel flow when I disconnect then from each other or will I see a steam of gas if the tank is not empty? What else needs to be done and are the electrical fittings easy to take apart or are there secrets to breaking the connections using one hand? I'm sure once you do it it is a no brainer but the first time is always a killer. Thanks for any hints.

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2008, 3:39 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltown
If I can get my big hand in there, what needs to be disconnected before lifting the tank any further? I can see the fuel lines, are these the fittings that should be replaced with the metal ones as a precaution? Are these fittings made to prevent fuel flow when I disconnect then from each other or will I see a steam of gas if the tank is not empty? What else needs to be done and are the electrical fittings easy to take apart or are there secrets to breaking the connections using one hand? I'm sure once you do it it is a no brainer but the first time is always a killer. Thanks for any hints.
It's easier if you pull the battery, in fact, I strongly recommend it. The disconnects are very brittle, so be careful. They are one way, anti-flow. There is a metal push tab on the male side (the side that pulls off) before it will disconnect. I'd replace these soon with the metal, like I said, they're very brittle.

The breather hose pulls right off. There are two electrical fittings with tabs on them. The tabs have to be lifted with a dental pick or small screwdriver and then the electrical fittings pull off.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2008, 3:45 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks Grif... I've read a few posts but don't remember the battery removal being discussed. I'll do that when I attack the project again. I had to put everything back together before I finished as I had a ride planned with some buds and didn't want to miss it. Think I'll order the quick disconnects so I'll have everything ready... Thanks.

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2008, 6:50 pm
Strafist

I was in the middle of hell at the office when I wrote it. The metal push tab is on the female side next to the tank. You'll figure it out.

The metal quick disconnects are the best thing you can do for yourself. The LT's started breaking with age as they got brittle and fatigued. That would be disastrous on our bikes. When you pull the female side off the tank, you'll notice a white soup in the threaded recess of the tank. This is from teflon tape, just sop it up. Use teflon tape on the female side to the tank JUDICIOUSLY. Good luck getting the male side out of the tube.

FYI, a male side quick disconnect from an LT will work, though it doesn't have a ninety degree elbow. Found that one out the hard way on a Sunday afternoon.

This bike is such a joy to work on compared to the LT as it strips and goes back together so quickly.

-=grif=-
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2008, 1:28 pm

Gas Flow

So the gas doesn't flow out when you disconnect huh?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2008, 6:17 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by 152HP
So the gas doesn't flow out when you disconnect huh?
No, that's what anti-flow means. Actually, the manufacturer refers to it as a "shutoff" option.

But Grif, they're not "one-way". Fluid can flow easily in both directions when connected, and in neither direction when disconnected.

I've replaced them on my GT already, and picked up some extras for my aux fuel tank connections.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; Sep 26th, 2008 at 6:26 pm.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2008, 10:48 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
But Grif, they're not "one-way".
Whaaaatevahhhh (insert hand movement here). I was in the middle of a melt down and it's amazing anything coherent was scribed at all. That's my excuse and I may, or may not, stick to it.

-=grif=-
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2008, 3:10 pm

Fuel disconnects

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I was in the middle of hell at the office when I wrote it. The metal push tab is on the female side next to the tank. You'll figure it out.

The metal quick disconnects are the best thing you can do for yourself. The LT's started breaking with age as they got brittle and fatigued. That would be disastrous on our bikes. When you pull the female side off the tank, you'll notice a white soup in the threaded recess of the tank. This is from teflon tape, just sop it up. Use teflon tape on the female side to the tank JUDICIOUSLY. Good luck getting the male side out of the tube.

FYI, a male side quick disconnect from an LT will work, though it doesn't have a ninety degree elbow. Found that one out the hard way on a Sunday afternoon.

This bike is such a joy to work on compared to the LT as it strips and goes back together so quickly.
Ok - first, my apologies.....

I thought I'd bookmarked the info on the fuel disconnects, but can't seem to find the info. I've been searching the forum for a while (including the Hall of Wisdom) but can't seem to find the info.

Grif (or anyone else) - can you please post the info on the 90degree quick disconnect (one or two needed?) for the fuel line again?

Thanks,

Mike

'08 K1200GT
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2008, 10:09 pm
Strafist

It's in the Hall of Wisdom under "Part Numbers".

-=grif=-
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2008, 10:11 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkuhno
Grif (or anyone else) - can you please post the info on the 90degree quick disconnect (one or two needed?) for the fuel line again?
Check this thread, especially post #1 (pics) and post #14 (correct part #'s). I've put these on my GT and they fit and work great.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode