clutch chatter,sticky neutral, now gone - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2008, 3:24 pm Thread Starter

clutch chatter,sticky neutral, now gone

I just got a K1200GT 2007 with 12 K on the clock. When I got it, it had quite a bit of clutch chatter, both noise & vibration. Also I could never get neutral coming down from second. Long story short I did an oil change and switched to Amsoil cycle oil. Bottom line no more clutch chatter, noise or vibration, and it slips into neutral going up or down. Night and day difference, now I have no idea what oil was in it, I was told maybe BMW std, non synthetic. I'm not an Amsoil dealer, but I have used it for many years, I've never seen it make that big a difference.
Keep in mind I asked about both issues and was told thats the way they are. I expected I'd just have to live with it. I have 2 Motto Guzzi's so I'm used to clutch chatter.
For anyone having these or maybe some of the other clutch issues, this might be your solution as it was mine.
I haven't noticed the screeching in mine only an occasional metalic, very light grinding sound, but that seems to have gone away aswell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2008, 6:14 pm
Enthusiast

Thanks that's good to know. I just got a used 2006 K1200GT with almost 15K and is quiet now with no sutter but I don't know what oil it has in it. I am a Amsoil dealer however I haven't bought any for a while because of the price. I think I will get some for the GT. What weight did you use, 20W-50??

Wayne
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2008, 11:35 am Thread Starter

Amsoil

I used 10-40, because thats what I had and it's still a low miles motor. The clutch noise was a chatter, like the plates & disc's were grabbing and releasing slightly as it was spinning. This also caused the vibration. It might be normal, but it is curable.
IMO, for what it's worth, the original clutch grinding, metallic sound was when I had to slip it a bit. Keeping the RPM's as low as possible and engaging the clutch as smoothly and quickly as possible helped. Hard to do going uphill or behind really slow traffic. But I haven't heard the noise since the oil was changed, but I don't know that it is gone for good.
I hope this might help solve some of the other's posts problems.
For anyone not familiar with Amsoil check out their site. If you can believe their test's them and Redline come out on top when it comes to wear and lubricity. Every little bit helps.
The dealer just changed the read diff, fluid with BMW synth, but I will change that out soon aswell. I read it was 75/140 and had that in Amsoil, turned out 75/90 is what is spec'd by BMW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2008, 11:49 am

I have the same noises and "judder" from the clutch. My dealer stated BMWNA is recommending BMW branded 10-50 synthetic over the Castrol GPs 10-40 blend until they come up with a fix. I opted to try Shell Rotella 15-40, syn, because it has proven to be wonderful in my KLR. So far i have no clutch squeak or judder.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2008, 11:49 am
Enthusiast

I had a similar dear with the clutch noise and it went away when I switched to a 10W-40 fully synthetic oil.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2008, 3:05 pm

Clutch Noise

I am presently doing battle with BMW over this very issue!
My feeling is your bike is either a 2006 or 2007 model??

The rattle IS due to the springs in the clutch basket breaking & rattling, I think there is a total of 6 springs.
This is a known BMW clutch issue but it seems that no BMW official will go “on the record” about it.

The basket WILL have to be replaced; the total clutch, plates & all should be replaced under warranty as a WHOLE unit, don’t accept a partial replacement, either basket or plates…insist the WHOLE clutch be replaced.

There are other threads stating that the clutch push rod replaced for a re engineered unit, I would assume this will be replaced also, DO bring this into the equation.

Right behind the clutch basket is a drive cog for the OIL PUMP, there is also an issue with this making noise, BMW have revised the design of this to a THINNER cog….need I say any more? The new “THINNER” sprocket p/n is 11267675452
If you can, try get this replaced under warranty at the same time the clutch replacement is being carried out.

If BMW will not give you a “new THINNER cog” under warranty purchase the “THINNER cog” yourself its only around $40.00 then have the mechanics replace it for you while the clutch is out, also have them re-tension the OIL PUMP chain to the factory specifications, I suspect this re-tension will become an issue further down the line…

I would also recommend switching oils from traditional Dino oil to AMSOIL 10W-40 fully Synthetic oil. http://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-motorcycle-oil dont forget a new oil filter!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2008, 4:38 pm

Clutch chatter, etc.

Here is my experience with the clutch issue. Hope it is helpful.

In the process of putting over 24K miles on a 2007 GT my shop had the clutch apart 3 times and replaced the entire baket assembly once over a period of about 18 months without any cure or improvement. This included converting to 15-40 synthetic oil at 12K miles. After measuring the springs for in-spec requirements and reworking the metal plates and shuffling all the above in an attempt rebalance the assembly, it was reinstalled in the bike. The clutch remained smooth and quiet for almost 30 minutes before the noise and chatter began anew.

At this point (24.5K miles) BMW acknowledged they did not have a fix and agreed to an exchange for a comparable 2008 GT. The 2008 now has about 1,300 miles without the chatter, but the squeal is evident periodically. The noise is not bothersome yet, but its progress is similar to my experience with the 2007 model. I am currently running petro based oil, but will convert to synthetic at the 3K mile oil change.

More to follow.
EJ
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2008, 12:25 am
Addict

I too had a full clutch relacement while the dealer was replacing the FD. This was done at 9,000ks.
Within a 1,000ks the squeal was back and shortly after the judder returned.
I have an extended warranty until November and I plan getting this addressed again before it expires.
Hopefully they would have made some advances on a real fix by then. It hard to imagine that they have released the 1300 GT with the same issue, or is it?

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2009, 12:13 am
Will ride the miles ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1863
I am presently doing battle with BMW over this very issue!
Right behind the clutch basket is a drive cog for the OIL PUMP, there is also an issue with this making noise, BMW have revised the design of this to a THINNER cog….need I say any more? The new “THINNER” sprocket p/n is 11267675452
I just replaced this sprocket on my own. The new sprocket is 2.5 mils thinner.

Photos of the transplant:

http://picasaweb.google.com/KGTpilot...etReplacement#

Jeff Earls
Portland, OR
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2009, 4:59 am
Addict

Did the change of the sprocket solve the problem? Since BMW has a new part number does anyone have a VIN number, or production date from which point forward the bikes have the new part? Did any of the new sprockets make there way into model year 2008 bikes? By the way, you have a very well equipped garage!!

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite

Last edited by 2008-K1200GT; Jan 9th, 2009 at 8:27 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode