Had a no start situation; heads up - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2008, 8:01 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Had a no start situation; heads up

I washed the bike after riding it to work and then an errand before supper. Prior to starting washing it I raised the 'shield up. Washed it and went to put the shield back down-bike is stone dead. Nothing works at all. Fiddled with a few things (kill switch, etc), nothing. Called dealer and they asked me to check battery connections. I'd never had the battery cover off, but not intimidated by it, so pulled the screws, everything seemed tight enough, checked voltage and it was around 13.10 volts, so "huh....".
Guy at Mischlers BMW (Jason) asked me to check the connections at the switch. ( I had the EWS recall done about a week and a half ago, never have had an EWS warning though). So I am lookin and lookin, and hell I don't even SEE any connections. Dawns on me that GASP maybe they aren't there, so I check out an "up the skirt" view in front of the fairing and bigger than crap, there's my 2 switch connectors laying on top of the fork! I really can't figure out how I pulled them off but I must have. Just thought I'd mention it in case someone has something like this happen, sure was weird. I've driven over 300 miles since those connections would have been touched.
Gilly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2008, 8:55 am
Enthusiast

Good find. You probably didn't pull it apart. It probably wasn't installed correctly.

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2008, 1:22 pm
Strafist

That's what I was thinking. It wasn't plugged to lock. Those little lock tabs are dayem robust, takes a small screwdriver to pull it up. You'll, fer certain, break a nail and will find yourself at the manucurist getting some new French Tips.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2008, 3:06 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Well what the heck guys. I was leaving work today (I have an odd work schedule, 6 on/ 2 0ff) and went out to the bike and of course just glanced at the connections, and what the......at least one if not both were off! The larger of the 2 definitely hanging, the second smaller one, well I was so peeved that now I'm not sure on it. I know damn well I had them both in place. I'd tend to agree it takes a bit to remove them just on purpose, how can they FALL off?? At least this time it was a no-brainer.
A little help from a GT2 owner would be appreciated. Take a look at that harness. On the pigtail by the connectors it is just wrapped in a fabric tape, this leads to a flexible plastic conduit. Where the conduit starts it looks like some sort of clip, hard to describe it, but a part on that clip looks like it might fit into a rectangular hole? So it might be related to that recall. I still can't imagine the harness catching on something and ripping the connectors out. PLUS I rode the bike to work and parked it, it ran fine to work. I'd have to study the suspension to see which way would tend to pull away from the ignition, would it be when I put it up on the center stand or taking it off the stand? I think putting it up on the stand right? Which might sort of make sense, I rode to work, shut it off, put it on the stand, then hours later I come back and the wire connectors are off.
But yesterdays scenario makes no sense. I already had it on the center stand, decided to put the shield up, then after washing the whole bike is dead and the connector is off.
This is just screwy. Things like this happen to me alot, I should be a tester for BMW, just give me a bike and by God if something is capable of getting screwed up it'll happen to ME!
Gilly
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2008, 4:12 pm

Are we talking about the harness for the EWS? You only need it to start the bike, not to run, right? So maybe when they did the recall they broke the locking clip. You put it back on but during the ride to work it fell off? Just a guess, I assume you noticed it "clicking" into lock when you put it together.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2008, 8:18 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

If I'm not mistaken, the smaller one (3 wire I think) is EWS. There is a larger 5 pin which would be considered more like the ignition itself, although I suppose it is all just all CAN stuff.
It all seems to be locked in place at this point, and I am sure it clicked in yesterday, although I didn't pull hard to check. This time I have tugged fairly hard and they are definitely locked now. Will see what develops. I can't hardly believe it's caused by anyone messing with the bike.

Gilly
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2008, 9:10 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
That's what I was thinking. It wasn't plugged to lock. Those little lock tabs are dayem robust, takes a small screwdriver to pull it up. You'll, fer certain, break a nail and will find yourself at the manucurist getting some new French Tips.
With the little designer pictures and all?! Been there.....

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2008, 10:10 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
With the little designer pictures and all?! Been there.....
The little designer pictures take too long. I'm one of those fill, buff and polish kind of guys, meself.

-=grif=-
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2008, 10:16 pm
Veteran

Yeah but that cuticle thing hurts like a bitch!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2008, 4:39 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
Yeah but that cuticle thing hurts like a bitch!
My wife actually had to wear bandaids on her fingers when some inattentive bitch raped her cuticles. It really threw her aim off with the larger calibers, which was a good thing for me. About that point she wondered what the hell she was doing slapping fake nails on her hands and gave it up. She did have to wear the patch for about 6 weeks.

A little thought, and whoever would have thought we'd meander back on topic, but anytime I take an electrical connection apart, I always use a small dab of dielectric grease before putting it back together. Prevents corrosion and I firmly believe in it.

Of course, with the problems that were had with the connection coming apart, and now you've got it to stay, Murphy's Law demands that it will never come back apart again without breaking.

-=grif=-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode