Sudden mileage change? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2008, 9:33 pm Thread Starter

Sudden mileage change?

Saw a sudden jump in mileage on my latest road trip, can anyone shed some light on this?

History: Bought '08 KGT new in June. End of July (1300 miles) did a big road trip. Consistently saw 41-44mpg (calculated) and a steady 41.2 on the BC. Moved in August and the bike sat for about a month. Had the battery disconnected too for maybe a week while I was out of town. Did a quick trip through the mountains (Knoxville to Greensboro NC and back) this week and saw a steady 48-53 on the BC and a calculated 49mpg on my longest leg.

So why the sudden jump in mileage? Is she all broke in now? Why not a gradual increase then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2008, 10:42 pm
Strafist

Altitude? Reset of the CPU when you disconnected the battery?

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2008, 11:40 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Altitude? Reset of the CPU when you disconnected the battery?

I'm thinking maybe some kind CPU reset maybe. I don't know how much altitude played a factor as only a third of my ride was about 2000 feet. The calculated mileage, however, is concurrent with the new BC mileage, so that maybe rules out CPU reset.

Anyone keep track of mileage on a mountain trek versus sea level riding? I don't know if a 20% increase in mileage is possible or not. I only climbed from 700 feet to 2800 feet (at the highest).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2008, 1:20 pm
Strafist

I know at 5000 feet the mileage gain is silly good. Compared to sea level and humidity you have to swim thru.

My last trip, the winds were so ferocious that my mileage dropped to 38. Maybe you had a tailwind?

-=grif=-
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2008, 4:14 pm Thread Starter

Heck, I don't know. Going to keep a close eye on my mileage the next few tanks though and see what's what. Maybe head back to the mountains again (kinda hard not to living here!)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2008, 9:16 pm
Veteran

I know that I love the way my bike preforms at altitude. Every time I get up above 6 or 7000 feet I notice a considerable change. Everything smooths right out and gets real crisp.

As for mileage though. I never trust the damn BC. Always just go by actual mileage and fill ups. Mine stays consistent as per my riding. Ride it hard 80 to 90 mph and it drops well below 40 mpg, keep it below 75 or so and it increases considerably, 45 to 50 mpg.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2008, 10:09 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
I know that I love the way my bike preforms at altitude. Every time I get up above 6 or 7000 feet I notice a considerable change. Everything smooths right out and gets real crisp.
Replace your O2 sensor and you'll keep crisp at lower altitudes.

-=grif=-
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2008, 10:14 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Replace your O2 sensor and you'll keep crisp at lower altitudes.
Replace with what? Aftermarket? Part #?

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2008, 11:50 pm
Would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflybricks
So why the sudden jump in mileage? Is she all broke in now? Why not a gradual increase then?
Maybe a change in gas? The stuff with ethanol added won't give quite as good milage, but a 6 mpg jump is pretty big... could maybe be just sustained trip riding vs your regular riding?

I got slightly better than usual milage on my recent cross country trip. Usually 42-ish MPG around here, but on the long trip it was 45-ish.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2008, 4:29 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
Replace with what? Aftermarket? Part #?
A universal Bosch O2 sensor. Here's a link from Beemer Boneyard. You can pick one up at the auto parts store for a little less or go OEM for about $250.

It would seem these bikes during break in either kill or severely maim the O2 sensor. I've read claims that replacing it even gets rid of the flat spots in the curve.

-=grif=-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode