Just had my 36K service done - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2008, 9:06 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Just had my 36K service done

All is well. Valves are still well within spec and the final drive looks good. They changed out the airbox as well. I'm not too sure about that new airbox just yet. It has definitely smoothed out the low speed controlability, but it just doesn't seem to have the same pop to it when I hit the throttle at 70 to pass people.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2008, 3:42 am
Veteran

That's the reason the dealer left my airbox alone when they did the first service, and the computer.
Gilly
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2008, 10:01 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
All is well. Valves are still well within spec and the final drive looks good. They changed out the airbox as well. I'm not too sure about that new airbox just yet. It has definitely smoothed out the low speed controlability, but it just doesn't seem to have the same pop to it when I hit the throttle at 70 to pass people.
It isn't the airbox, it is the corresponding software upgrade that changes the throttle response. The dealer did the software upgrade on my 2007 GT about two months before performing the airbox replacement. The upgraded software smoothed out the throttle for me - it is far less twitchy. It gives me much better throttle control, but the consequence is that I have to roll on a lot more throttle to push acceleration.

I agree that the new software seems to reduce the maximum acceleration of the GT. Even if you instantly get to full-on-throttle, the bike doesn't jerk your arms off the way it did with the original software. It was especially apparent the day I was demonstrating my GT for a heavy passenger (my brother). Acceleration is good, but not the "knock-your-socks-off" good that I remembered from when I originally bought the bike.

IMHO, the change is worth it. The bike still accelerates well enough. I can go from onramp to ticket in only a few seconds. Now I have the throttle control that I need for the real-world city traffic that I live with each day.

The real problem is proving my assertions. I have seen a dyno chart for the GT with older software, but none since the software upgrade. I note that BMW hasn't changed the torque and horsepower specs on 2008 GTs, which I assume are all running the newer software. The question is whether it is caused by editorial inertia (they didn't bother to edit the published specs) or they actually measured engine performance for each model year. My butt dyno says the former.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2008, 1:56 pm
Addict

I agree about the throttle response being reduced, and I wish they had left it alone. I loved that raw burst of power, that you could get at 70 without downshifting. I find myself dropping it into fourth now, just to pass.
I am comtemplating the mod in this post...http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15835

James
Central Texas
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2008, 2:49 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM
I agree about the throttle response being reduced, and I wish they had left it alone. I loved that raw burst of power, that you could get at 70 without downshifting. I find myself dropping it into fourth now, just to pass.
I am comtemplating the mod in this post...http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15835
Ok, James, give it a go, then you can help me do mine.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode