BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Clunk

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Meese 
#1 ·
I know we have discussed our clunking bikes and accept it as its what they do.
My 07 has 23,000 miles and just about from day one it shakes the bike a little when I put it in first gear. The bike has to be warmed up and happens from neutral to first. You can see the shake in the windshield and feel the bike move a bit. I am running 10-40 Amsoil.
Is this normal?

David

#3 ·
My 2007 GT too.

I have read on other threads that pulling the clutch in and holding it for at least four full seconds before putting it in gear will eliminate (or reduce) the clunk. Frankly, it doesn't help much for my GT.

I have noticed that there is no clunk when I am first starting out in the morning with a cold engine. Within a few shifts, however, the clunk is back.

#4 ·
My '08 clunks in to first unless I hold the clutch in a few seconds or more like has been mentioned. If you think the clunk is objectionable, go rent a Harley! They clunk in to first so hard the whole bike shakes, and it is a normal condition.

As far as upshifting goes, if I am really careful and preload just right, I can eliminate the clunking most of the time, but if I get lazy or tired, it clunks about half the time. Agian, go rent the Harley for a reality check.

Ever tried to upshift from first to second but didn't quite get all the way in to second, leaving yourself in neutral and at speed? Then try to get back in to first or second? Alm ost impossible to match the revs right and wham! - talk about a clunk that shudders the whole bike!

#5 ·
Well this weekend I went by some of my Harley buddies for a ride and afterwards we did a little test. Three people stood in front while me and a FLCH took turns dropping it to first and it was hands down, my GT was the loudest. And of course they rubed it in untill I had to by some beer to shut them up.
I love this bike, but that gear noise is a bit much.
So, Ill guess Ill preload, hold my mouth just right, blip the clutch and get some damn ear plugs. :D

David

#7 ·
Tried the preload the shifter, shafting at 4000 rpm or higher, hold clutch in 4 seconds before selecting first. 60+% of the time noisy. Had the noise as you start off in first from the "Clutch", Took the bike in for the squeal - shutter - jutter at take off.

They replaced throw out bearing/clutch slave cylinder piston (single part), you could feel the roughness of the bearing in the old part. (They did the air box and software, and EWS antenna and an oil change at the same time)
Shifts are now very quiet, still need to preload the lever - just start pull in the clutch, hardly reduce throttle. Shift into first is quiet (with the 4 second delay).
Basically I don't have to think about shifting anymore.

Was it as simple as changing the clutch piston/throw out bearing, I think so, its 1200 mile and still quiet.
I ride three different bikes, seldom ride the same one more than two days in a row.
It nice to have all of them shifting quietly.

#8 ·
aj7840 said:
Was it as simple as changing the clutch piston/throw out bearing, I think so, its 1200 mile and still quiet.
A friend of mine went with the billet clutch slave cylinder from Evoluzione Cyclesports. He's happy with it, as it gives a lighter clutch pull and a bit more travel during engagement. No squeal, either.

#9 ·
Meese said:
A friend of mine went with the billet clutch slave cylinder from Evoluzione Cyclesports. He's happy with it, as it gives a lighter clutch pull and a bit more travel during engagement. No squeal, either.
Beauty! And it all makes sense except for the first four words. :D :D :D :D (you know I love ya, man)

#10 ·
grifscoots said:
And it all makes sense except for the first four words.
I agree, it looks like a great kit. But I've been too busy riding to add the farkles I have now, let alone something new. I may look them up this winter though, as it's only a couple hours from me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.