BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

New bike purchase- K1300GT vs Multistrada

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Doru-in-Romania 
#1 ·
I looked at the K1200GT a few years ago but due to all the bugs with the K bikes I passed and kept my 2005 R1200GS. I'm a big fan of the boxer motor and after I tested the GT I was pretty much set on a new boxer. Unfortunately my test ride was on a 30degree day with 25mph winds so I really didnt get to appreciate the bike to its fullest on that ride.
So instead of the GT I purchased a Megamoto which I have been enjoying for short blasts around my neighborhood. I just sold the GS cause I ran out of farkles to add and I wanted something new for a change. I was originally looking at a Multistrada as I wanted something more sporty than the GS, still with some wind protection, able to handle brief two ups, and a relatively upright riding position. I also considered the R12R but since I have a Megamoto, I thought it would be a little redundant to have two "naked" boxer bikes. Well, those were my thoughts until I saw that BMW was coming out with the K1300GT. I think the bike looks great and it seems that they have worked out all the teething problems. I'll only use the bike for local stuff, no long distance, maybe to and from work-20 minutes and taking my son and wife on occasional rides. I would also use it for chilly days in the spring and fall and when I want a bit more comfort than the Megamoto which can wear you back down in a hurry. Can any of you comment on the GTs ability for around town riding and back roads at 40-60mph? Is this bike overkill and a waste for my planned use? I would have probably considered an RT but I just cant get past the look of the fairing-too bulky for my tastes. Any comments appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
For short hops around town and the back country the KGT may be considered overkill. I only say this because it is perfect capable of cruising 1000 miles at 120mph and eating up road ALL DAY. It's a road eating rocketship.

That being said....how nice would it be to have a rocket when a biplane would do? Sure, you could get another R and to the short trips and be quite happy, but you will LOVE riding the KGT around. You don't need to cruising cross-country to enjoy it. The back road twisties are awesome on this bike. Gobs of torque with torque to spare - this bike has power! Did I mention the torque? The KGT is not a small/light bike but very, very flickable. I had mine out last summer with saddles full, top case full and a tank bag and could flick through the twisties at ease.

Do yourself a favor, get another one to test ride, spend a day with it, ride that road by your house - something you're familiar with and can really compare. I got my '08 in June and still grin like an idiot riding it. Got smiles lines in my helmet foam! :teeth

Hope this helps.

#3 ·
fixinbones said:
I looked at the K1200GT a few years ago but due to all the bugs with the K bikes I passed and kept my 2005 R1200GS. I'm a big fan of the boxer motor and after I tested the GT I was pretty much set on a new boxer. Unfortunately my test ride was on a 30degree day with 25mph winds so I really didnt get to appreciate the bike to its fullest on that ride.
So instead of the GT I purchased a Megamoto which I have been enjoying for short blasts around my neighborhood. I just sold the GS cause I ran out of farkles to add and I wanted something new for a change. I was originally looking at a Multistrada as I wanted something more sporty than the GS, still with some wind protection, able to handle brief two ups, and a relatively upright riding position. I also considered the R12R but since I have a Megamoto, I thought it would be a little redundant to have two "naked" boxer bikes. Well, those were my thoughts until I saw that BMW was coming out with the K1300GT. I think the bike looks great and it seems that they have worked out all the teething problems. I'll only use the bike for local stuff, no long distance, maybe to and from work-20 minutes and taking my son and wife on occasional rides. I would also use it for chilly days in the spring and fall and when I want a bit more comfort than the Megamoto which can wear you back down in a hurry. Can any of you comment on the GTs ability for around town riding and back roads at 40-60mph? Is this bike overkill and a waste for my planned use? I would have probably considered an RT but I just cant get past the look of the fairing-too bulky for my tastes. Any comments appreciated.
I have only one bike, so I ride my 2007 GT around town most of the time, just as you describe. I use it for my daily commute with a 49 Liter topcase attached and the side cases off. (15 miles, mixed freeway and city.)

The GT is versatile. With all the cases off, it is a decent sport bike for around-town use. It takes less than 10 seconds to remove the cases. It isn't as small and light as a dedicated 600cc or liter sport bike, but the overall versatility is what sold me.

The GT isn't a great fit for stop 'n' go traffic. Shifting is clunky. It gets hot in the summer, but then so do most bikes when you're under the sun. The GTs faring and windscreen block the air that I want - I am planning to cut down a windscreen for summer use.

Tomorrow is Saturday. I can't wait to take that topcase off and get out on the road. Woo hoo! Yee ha!

#4 ·
NO I wouldn't recommend it.
The aviation equivelant would be buying a B58 Hustler and doing nothing but touch and goes with it, when it's really supposed to fly intercontinental at Mach 3.

Gilly

#5 ·
fixinbones said:
Can any of you comment on the GTs ability for around town riding and back roads at 40-60mph? Is this bike overkill and a waste for my planned use? I would have probably considered an RT but I just cant get past the look of the fairing-too bulky for my tastes. Any comments appreciated.
You really need to borrow a GT from your local dealer and ride it for a day. I think it could be lots of fun for the pattern of riding you are describing, but you need to try it out to decide. I use mine similarly to your plans, and love it, for what it is worth.
Preston

#6 ·
GillyWI said:
The aviation equivelant would be buying a B58 Hustler and doing nothing but touch and goes with it, when it's really supposed to fly intercontinental at Mach 3.

Gilly
A Hustler?!? Wow man. Wow. Nice one.

#7 ·
wintermute said:
You really need to borrow a GT from your local dealer and ride it for a day. I think it could be lots of fun for the pattern of riding you are describing, but you need to try it out to decide. I use mine similarly to your plans, and love it, for what it is worth.
Preston
Im gonna get a test ride on a K12GT within the next few weeks. I'm hoping I love it cause I'm drooling for one right now. I really like the lines of the bike. Maybe it will get me to do some long distance stuff next year when my kids are out of the house for the summer.

The Ducati may be a good choice as well as its lighter and has the air cooled Vtwin which has quite a bit of torque low down for puttering around town and you can also have the saddlebags for storage.

#8 ·
I would stay with the Megamoto, the GT would be like a shotgun for killing flies.

With three bikes, the GT, FZ1 and wife's Ducati monster. I find the ride to work is easier on either the FZ1 or the Monster (20 mile twisty back roads). Both the FZ1 and the Duc have a one tooth smaller sprocket on the counter shaft and two teeth larger on the rear wheel, about 13% change, makes them perfect for back road commuting. Not too bad threading through traffic either.
The wife and I went for a short ride this afternoon ,well it was going to be short (260 miles), but the GT does that to you.

#9 ·
GillyWI said:

Gilly
PERFECT! Without the center tank/pod too!

I commute the GT 100 miles a day, and use the KLR for everything within 15mile radius. I tried to use the GT for around town errands, but it is just too big and i can't sneak between city traffic like i can on the KLR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.