ESA or not? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 7:12 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

ESA or not?

I am getting ready to put my order in on the new K1200GT, and am trying to figure out what options I really want. I don't know much about the ESA, maybe there is someone more knowledgeable on this than I. I am 55 and don't really ride to the MAX, but I am thinking this may be a nice thing to have when I go on long trips all loaded down. I have read some threads about the low oil warning light not working as advertised. Is this really worth $50? My dealer has not heard any news on the GT yet, so whenever I go to visit, I fill him in on what I've been learning on this forum. I have had two RT's and two
LT's. Currently ride Harley Softail Deluxe. Took a 4400 mile trip on it from Minnesota to Nova Scotia this last summer. (7 days). I was actually quite comfortable---but it is now time to come back to the beamers. This IS the bike I have been waiting for.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 7:20 pm
Enthusiast

Hi Rick,

I have ESA on my S and love and highly recommend it. It will come in very handy when riding two up on a trip, or solo if you are going to do the twisties. Good luck with the GT.
I'm sure it will be a fab unit. I may have to have one too. What color do you like?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 7:31 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

I guess I will go ahead and get the ESA. I really like the black or charcoal color.
Thanks for the reply

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 10:24 pm

Dear Rick,
I agree, my K1200S is great with the ESA and it's super for 2 up with my wife or aggressive riding.
Best, Larry
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 11:02 pm
Enthusiast

I've heard it mentioned on the board that with the current RS/GT that the life of the shocks is considered to be 20-30,000 miles. So you might want to consider what the life of the ESA suspension may be and what the replacement costs are. If you are doing fairly high mileage like your trip indicated, is the ESA worth it if you have to replace the suspension in a few years and the replacement cost is prohibitively high????
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2005, 11:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentboshart
I've heard it mentioned on the board that with the current RS/GT that the life of the shocks is considered to be 20-30,000 miles. So you might want to consider what the life of the ESA suspension may be and what the replacement costs are. If you are doing fairly high mileage like your trip indicated, is the ESA worth it if you have to replace the suspension in a few years and the replacement cost is prohibitively high????
I read in MCN's article on the 1200S that the shock(s) should be good for 25-30K mi
and that the replacement cost is about $3000.00. There feeling was the ESA was really worth having after testing the S. Though I don't ride two up(wife has 1150R) I believe
the resale would be better and some of the $750 might be recovered.

Phil
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 3:45 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1200
I am getting ready to put my order in on the new K1200GT, and am trying to figure out what options I really want. I don't know much about the ESA, maybe there is someone more knowledgeable on this than I. I am 55 and don't really ride to the MAX, but I am thinking this may be a nice thing to have when I go on long trips all loaded down. I have read some threads about the low oil warning light not working as advertised. Is this really worth $50? My dealer has not heard any news on the GT yet, so whenever I go to visit, I fill him in on what I've been learning on this forum. I have had two RT's and two
LT's. Currently ride Harley Softail Deluxe. Took a 4400 mile trip on it from Minnesota to Nova Scotia this last summer. (7 days). I was actually quite comfortable---but it is now time to come back to the beamers. This IS the bike I have been waiting for.

Rick
FWIW, I don't think you are gonna see a NON-ESA model hit the dealers for quite a while. MY OPINION; but based on the pent up demand, well, need I say more?

I have a 12S and at 65 I am not a very aggressive rider and would pass on the ESA in a heartbeat. But, since I want the GT I probably will end up with it. One up, and my riding style here in 'curveless "FL, the best I can say about the ESA is that it smooths the SLAB out a bit!

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode