Beware of Corbin - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2009, 5:17 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thumbs down Beware of Corbin

After a great experience with my first Corbin seat I decided to order a new one for my 2008 KGT.

Three years ago I ordered a front Corbin for my 2005 R1200RT and loved it. It arrived within a few days, fit perfectly and was extremely comfortable after a few break-in miles.

Last month I didn't hesitate to order a new front seat from Corbin for my new KGT. I placed an online order on December 14th and two days later received a call from Corbin informing me they could not produce a seat without stitching in the seat if it was heated. Ok....fine, but what about the request for shipping it without the plugs? You see I ordered the BMW connector and planned to solder them in on my own. The Corbin rep said that was no problem and it would ship wires only.

Today, Jan. 21 the saddle arrived and I found 3 problems:

The seat was supposed to come without plugs—I ordered the BMW connectors and was going to solder them on, but the seat arrived with plugs. This is not a big deal, but my instructions were not followed.

The seat is not compatible with the stock BMW seat. This is not clear when you go to order the seat online like I did. I contacted Customer Service today and they said the compatibility information is disclosed in the notes sections and sure enough when I went there today I found it, but I did not look there prior to ordering-I had no need to. Critical information should be disclosed on the order page, plus this was not an issue when I ordered the front saddle for my R1200RT, so I had little reason to believe it would be an issue with my new BMW K1200GT.

The saddle is a full 1.5” shorter in length and my ass was hanging over the edge--not comfortable.

Customer service would not authorize a return of the saddle and insisted that I speak with an account rep. So off to the account rep.....

I walked through the 3 issues noting the most significant issue was "it doesn't work with my stock rear BMW seat" and the rep. reluctantly said I could return the saddle as long as I paid the shipping $30 + $112 restocking fee! Add that to the shipping fee for inbound leg and I end up out $172 and no saddle. Nice.....

The rep did not care at all that the compatibility notes were not disclosed in any of the purchase paths--from page entry to order page to the ecommerce layer, etc. If an online customer fails to click on the notes tab and scroll to the bottom and read about how the Corbin saddles are not compatible with the stock BMW seats, well they are just shit out of luck. The rep went on to lecture me about how much of their time they wasted and how much it cost them to return an item, etc., etc. Escalation has not helped at all and Corbin completely fails to see how their e-commerce site is the root of the problem, not their customer.

You know I used to defend Corbin when I would hear people piss and moan about the crappy customer service, boy was I wrong.

At this point I have a few options that I will not disclose here. Obviously Corbin doesn't get it and eventually it will lead to declining sales and closure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2009, 5:41 pm
Enthusiast

You certainly would think that a company that uses the most basic of common business sense would inform a purchaser who is only ordering a driver seat, that their stock pillion will not be compatible with it. Hey, if they tell you about it beforehand, you may even buy the Corbin pillion, right?

I like you, have had great luck with my Corbin seats (including the one on my GT). However, despite a top quality product, they continue to inflict damage on themselves time and time again with foolish moves like this.

Mike M
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2009, 5:49 pm
Rookie

thanks for the warning, I have many issues with corbin which I won't discuss here, lets just say they stink

Michael
"How long am I going to be dead ?"
2007 K1200S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2009, 7:04 pm
Enthusiast

I've read so many stories like this about Corbin that I would never buy anything from them. I think they get more wrong than right.

'03 K1200GT

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2009, 7:12 pm
Rookie

I had them on many of my past bike and then one day I got one that was not up to their old standard. Well after a NICE chat with the customer service it was over.

Sorry it did not work out for you.

Jim

07 KGT
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2009, 8:05 pm
Rookie

corbin seat problem

I had a corbin on my k100 for years. It was a great seat.
My 07GT has a russell on it now and that seat is truly the best seat I have ever had. They did everthing they said they would and it came back looking great with seat heating perfectly intact from stock seat pan and I am truly very happy.
They are a wonderful outfit to deal with and I would recommend them to anyone.
They want pictures of you,your pax and a picture of rider with feet on the ground.
I truly can ride all day on their seat and it looks great.

Your story sounds pretty frustrating but hopefully you can find a solution.
Best Regards,
Vic
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2009, 8:23 pm
Veteran

At least it was only your seat. Think if you were one of the owners of their Sparrow (car) that they dumped on customers and abandoned.

Why people keep buying from them is a mystery. If you don't do a ride-in fitting with them, don't buy from them. PERIOD!

They surely are in the top ten of crap aftermarket dealings.

Mack
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2009, 9:10 pm
IBR# 366

Sorry to hear that you got burned.

Man, we keep hearing these stories again and again. Not from every Corbin customer, obviously, but from far too many.

Then again, folks ask me why I keep riding BMW's after all my roadside failures . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2009, 10:10 pm
Statmaster

If you paid by credit card, dispute it.

If you are lucky, and paid by American Express, you can use the buyer's assurance program.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 12:39 am
I'm riding

you can order the pasenger saddle from them to cope with the front one and you will enjoy your fav Corbin saddle and not lose $172.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode