Pr2 'g' ? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2009, 8:58 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Pr2 'g' ?

I just burned through a rear PR2 in a little over 3600 miles! Yes, I ride hard, but that's even less mileage than the Z6. This was not a 'G' rated tire. Does/could the 'G' rating make a diff in how it wears?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2009, 10:52 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS
I just burned through a rear PR2 in a little over 3600 miles! Yes, I ride hard, but that's even less mileage than the Z6. This was not a 'G' rated tire. Does/could the 'G' rating make a diff in how it wears?
David,

I have a pair of Michelin Pilot Road 2s, installed by the dealer. I don't know if they are 'G' rated. They have 7,000 miles now, and they will clearly go much further.

About 5,000 miles is urban - 50% city stop 'n' go, 50% freeway. The remaining 2,000 miles is long distance riding with 50% highway, 50% twisties and sweepers. In general, I am a gentle rider, but I am quite willing to peg the needle at a freeway onramp, for example. The stop 'n' go riding must be taking its toll on the tires, too.

Obviously you are not doing Sturgis-style burnouts. I am hard-pressed to guess why you haven't gotten similar results. De-icing chemicals? Road grooves? Lots of gravel? Abnormally heavy loads?

In case it helps, I got 6,600 miles on the Bridgestone BT020s that came with the bike. At that point, I took a nail, but the rear tire was at the wear bars, and the front tire was somewhat scalloped.

XMR
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2009, 4:26 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

The only thing that you mention that is possible would be de-icing chem's...they do use magnesium chloride (magchloride) on the roads here in Colorado. I never heard of this increasing tire wear...this is news to me.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2009, 7:05 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS
The only thing that you mention that is possible would be de-icing chem's...they do use magnesium chloride (magchloride) on the roads here in Colorado. I never heard of this increasing tire wear...this is news to me.
Sorry to mislead you. I was just searching for possible explanations by suggesting what might be different between your situation in Colorado and mine in So. Cal., that's all.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2009, 7:33 pm
Noob

I got 10k out of my PR2's. This is a pic at 5 K after riding 350 miles in strong cross winds in Montana requiring large lean angles in both directions.

And here's the Rear.

This was about 2K into a 7,200 mile trip last summer. During the remainder of the trip, the wear evened out more, but I still had to replace the tires when I got home. I decided to try Dunlop Road Smart tires, and so far have no complaints after 3,000 miles.

Current horses in the stable

'07 K1200GT
'07 R1200GS
'03 F650CS
'01 R1100RTP
'93 K1100LT
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2009, 9:46 am
Rookie

You want to make sure you get the "B" rated rear tire for the GT. It is designed for the extra weight of our bikes, especially with luggage or two up. It's about $20 more though. Most shops only sell the standard tire and are completely unaware of the "B".

See page 14...

http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/pubs/fitment2008.pdf

2008 K1200GT
2005 FZ1

Last edited by K-Dog; Feb 1st, 2009 at 9:55 am.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2009, 12:20 pm

PR vs. PR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbushey
I got 10k out of my PR2's. This is a pic at 5 K after riding 350 miles in strong cross winds in Montana requiring large lean angles in both directions.

And here's the Rear.

This was about 2K into a 7,200 mile trip last summer. During the remainder of the trip, the wear evened out more, but I still had to replace the tires when I got home. I decided to try Dunlop Road Smart tires, and so far have no complaints after 3,000 miles.
Hey, that flat spotted rear looks familiar! Is that rear a standard or a "B" model? Was it noticeable in turns?

I bought a pair of PR's (not 2's) last summer. Had a severe flat on 4th of July weekend and needed skins ASAP. Got the flat spot within 2k miles. Until now I was kicking myself for not having patience and waiting to get PR 2's because I figured 2CT technology would prevent this. If the pic is a "B" then I'm not so sure I made a mistake since the 2's were more expensive.

After playing for a couple weeks with pressures I found the spot can be minimized by running a bit under what the books asked for. 1 psi makes a world of difference when tuning these.

Thanks for sharing your results,
Jeff
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2009, 12:21 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dog
You want to make sure you get the "B" rated rear tire for the GT. It is designed for the extra weight of our bikes, especially with luggage or two up. It's about $20 more though. Most shops only sell the standard tire and are completely unaware of the "B".

See page 14...

http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/pubs/fitment2008.pdf
This is sound advice. I have found the same thing. You need to be specific about the "B" rating. Ask for it and make sure they have it in stock. Only a few of the better shops are knowledgeable and aware of it.

With the "B" rating though I am completely sold on the PR2's. Never have I gotten more miles out of a set of tires. Roughly 7500 which for me is a miracle.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2009, 12:37 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Bike not here at the house, but I will check for a letter rating on it. At any rate, the front is down to the wear bars also...just not as toasted as the rear.

Think I'll try the Avon Storms and see if I can get more miles out of them...and at least they are cheaper, and if they give the same grip that lessens the pain of <4K miles between sets.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode