Zumo 660 Anyone? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2009, 12:57 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Zumo 660 Anyone?

I hate it when new toys come out. You guys seen this yet? Did I miss a post some where? I'm very happy with my 550, then it's this:

ZUMO 660

I like the bigger screen but if they really wanted to sell these things I think they dropped the ball in a few areas. It does have stereo Blue tooth but other than that and a bigger screen I can't see the $$$ being spent.

IMO they dropped the ball in many areas. They could have made it compatible with existing mounts for one, but it's not, so that means a new one for the bike and truck. Easy enough in the truck as it's a suction cup, but the bike will be w different story. And no more XM Sat radio? That's a real big one for me. Why would they drop that? Not a sat radio option even?

There's a few other minor things but I can't see dropping close to $1000 just for a slightly bigger screen and stereo blue tooth. But maybe folks will drop the cash. Bet they don't sell too many though. Not at this point. Am I missing something?

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2009, 1:31 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
I hate it when new toys come out. You guys seen this yet? Did I miss a post some where? I'm very happy with my 550, then it's this:

ZUMO 660

I like the bigger screen but if they really wanted to sell these things I think they dropped the ball in a few areas. It does have stereo Blue tooth but other than that and a bigger screen I can't see the $$$ being spent.

IMO they dropped the ball in many areas. They could have made it compatible with existing mounts for one, but it's not, so that means a new one for the bike and truck. Easy enough in the truck as it's a suction cup, but the bike will be w different story. And no more XM Sat radio? That's a real big one for me. Why would they drop that? Not a sat radio option even?

There's a few other minor things but I can't see dropping close to $1000 just for a slightly bigger screen and stereo blue tooth. But maybe folks will drop the cash. Bet they don't sell too many though. Not at this point. Am I missing something?
+1 on that. Would be nice to have a larger screen. At $800.00 if I remember right the Zumo 550 when I bought mine list was $949.00 and mine was $649.00 through PC Nation. If I didn't already have a 550 I would at least look a little closer at it. I wonder if it does everything the 550 does and have stereo. We'll see how they move. Interesting though.

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2009, 1:32 pm
Addict

Agreed Robert, I would'nt surrender my Zumo 550 on an even trade, never mind what the 660 is priced at. I think anyone in need should wait there will be major pricing reductions as these 660's clog the shelves.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2009, 1:38 pm
Enthusiast

Found this:
http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=7769.0

Wayne

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2009, 1:50 pm
Enthusiast

Also found this:
http://www.boaterbarn.com/garmin_zum...30330_prd1.htm

After reading some of the posts on the Zumo Forum I think I'll keep my 550.

Wayne

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2009, 1:54 pm
Veteran

Not crazy about the deletion of the XM Radio since that would render my Zumo 550's puck useless. Add to that, some XM Radio can now receive some of the more popular Sirus channels for a few more bucks a month (I haven't done that yet. Just got their ads). Seems more like a cheapened Nuvi, but the price and design reflects that too.

Stereo is interesting if it is compliant with what's out there in motoland. Sometimes Bluetooth isn't all cracked up for what it's worth <damhik!>.

I may blow some non-discretionary cash on one someday, but the routes (only 10?) and lack of XM on the 660 keeps me distant for now.

Mack
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2009, 2:05 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

I've been reading some of the threads at zumo forums and nothing yet has me thinking even remotely about switching. The only positive I've seen so far is the screen size and resolution. And seeing as I don't spend more than a second or two at a time looking at the screen, and have never had a problem reading what I need to.....Maybe in another year or 2 if they add sat radio and the price drops significantly. Then there's BT wireless sound, no way it can compare with hard wired, which the 660 can do too, but more battery recharging if one were to go wireless etc etc. I don't use my phone on the bike, couldn't be bothered. And the 550 already works just fine for hands free phone in the truck.

I'm sticking with my 550 for now.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2009, 2:58 pm
Addict

The only time I really look at the zumo is to see how far until the next turn in the lower right hand corner. I have a Nolan N-com 102 helmet, and use the acordian style multimedia wire for music, and turn by turn directions. The bluetooth is strictly telephone, and more often then not unless it's the wife or my daughters I'm not answering. I tried the bluetooth for the music, but the mono quality is terrible, so the wire is not as obstrusive as one may think. All & all I'm happy with the set up I have.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite

Last edited by 2008-K1200GT; Jan 31st, 2009 at 4:52 pm.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2009, 3:00 pm
Addict

Where they really missed the boat is not having an audio-in port.

They tried to make the 550 and now the 660 a central-point audio system, on top of the Nav, by allowing bluetooth phone connection and it's on-board "entertainment" MP3 player and SAT Radio capability. But it sucks completely because the bluetooth is mono, but could have been stereo compliant because A2DP was available at the time.

The 660 is dumb because now, they've cut the SAT radio option, so it's left with it's MP3 player and phone connection, and yippee, it finally has stereo bluetooth. But the thing they should realize is most people have their own, more capable MP3 players, and SAT radios.

If they wanted to design a true audio system, they should have left it with the phone connection and provided an audio-in port for whatever else people want to jack through it.

Weird, because they make audio panels for aircraft, so one would think they'd know better.

The 550
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2009, 4:32 pm
Enthusiast

Well I guess I am the only person here picking one of these up... The sat radio isn't a big deal for me. I had it on the 550 and found it more annoying than anything else. It was more useful for traffic and weather, which I am hoping we will have on the bike mount. Also, the price I got mine for was $647 including shipping - direct from Garmin. They are expecting to ship during the first week of April. To qualify for this reduced price you must be a member of the AMA... So if you aren't a member and want to save some money... join the AMA.

Overall it is basically a Nuvi 765 which has been beefed up to be waterproof (IPX7) and vibration resistant. The 660 is also using microSD cards instead of the older/slower SD cards. The firmware is a definite improvement over the Zumo software. It comes with the car and motorcycle kits so it should be a fairly easy transition. The power cord is not the same as the Zumo so I will have to re-wire that on the bike, but the cradle should be easily secured to a standard motorcycle mount.

The dimensions of the new unit are very similar as far as H & W, but almost the entire unit is useable screen space. It is not nearly as deep as the Zumo.

I just picked up the Nolan N-103 helmet and have the BT kit on order. If the sound quality isn't up to par then I will simply get a stereo cable.

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode