49L Topcase problem - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2009, 1:30 pm Thread Starter

49L Topcase problem

The 2 latches on the left side of my top case are not working properly. When I lift the handle, only the right side latches operate. I took it to a dealer and he said I have to buy a new bottom half, because the inner lining is screwed and riveted and cannot be opened.

I am sure it's an easy fix once it is opened. Anyone know how to separate the inner liner from the outer. This is for the bottom half of the top case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2009, 2:52 pm
IBR# 366

A few guys have looked at splitting the upper lining from the upper case in order to have the lid painted. The consensus was that you would damage both parts trying to pry them apart, so most just taped off the unpainted parts.

I imagine the lower case would be similar, then again, if your only option is to buy a new bottom section it might be worth a try.

It looks like the whole top case is $895, and just the lower section is $570. Chicago BMW offers a 20% discount, but can have a very long delivery time.

Another option is to try and buy a used top case from someone. I've seen those go for $500 or less.

It looks like you can buy the handle assy alone (part #5 below), but I'm not sure that would solve your problem as it may be something inside the top case itself that's broken or hanging up.

Oh well, good luck here.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2009, 7:17 pm

Warranty?

Not to stir the pot, but isn't there some sort of warranty on accessories like the topcase?

Maybe someone else can comment on this - because I'm not sure what kind of warranty is on the topcase.....

..... but unless you forced it to break somehow, maybe you need to have another talk with the dealer about handling a replacement topcase under warranty.

How's your relationship with the dealer??

Mike

'08 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2009, 7:37 pm
Enthusiast

If you do decide to buy the lower section, Chicago BMW with the 20% discount is a good deal. I ordered a part that had to come from Germany and it only took 2 weeks. Good luck and hope you don't have to bite the bullet on this one.

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2009, 8:06 pm Thread Starter

I don't have a warranty on this topcase. I might have to bite the bullet and get the bottom half from Chicago BMW.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2009, 8:27 pm
Veteran

I sent a message to you as far as trying to tackle repairing it.
Gilly
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2009, 12:15 am
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
I sent a message to you as far as trying to tackle repairing it.
I looked at my trunk today. You may be able to separate the halves by removing all the screws and drilling out the pop rivets. If it works, you can get a pop rivet gun for a few bucks and put it back together easily enough. That might be worth a try before you drop 5 bills for a new lower half.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2009, 3:23 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakalika
The 2 latches on the left side of my top case are not working properly. When I lift the handle, only the right side latches operate. I took it to a dealer and he said I have to buy a new bottom half, because the inner lining is screwed and riveted and cannot be opened.

I am sure it's an easy fix once it is opened. Anyone know how to separate the inner liner from the outer. This is for the bottom half of the top case.
I had a similar problem with mine about a year ago, i caused it by trying to force the latches shut with the luggage bag overpacked.
I first tried to seperate the inner liner but realised I couldnt.
I was able to fidget with the non operable latches with a screw driver and re-locate the mechanism that operates from the centre latch back into place and all worked well since.
If you get a torch and look down into the offending latch mechanism while moving the opening lever/handle you should see what i mean.
Be patient and play with it for a while and you might save some money.

Good Luck

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2009, 7:39 am
Veteran

I should mention for "Dadiscool59", that a "torch" is a flashlight. Old British car experience.

Kakalika, I got your message, let me know, I'm pretty good at stuff like this AND already HAVE a pop rivet gun. Would only want price to ship it back to you.

Gilly
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2009, 11:33 am
Enthusiast

Garage
Talking

I was going to suggest Kakalika just ride down to see Gilly, but I forgot we have a riding season. It's what, maybe only 8 more weeks long.

The pop rivets are metric diameter, so you usually have to drill out to the next inch size or find a fastener place that caries the metric sizes (McMaster Carr has several metric sizes using the inch equivelent for dimension).

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode