Battery Question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2009, 6:40 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Battery Question

My new 08 GT has not yet had the battery fail.. I like to be proactive and it seems the best choice is the Oddesey.. From using the search funtion it also seems the PC680 is the model. So what I'm wondering is does it fit correctly, are the terminals in the right place/orientaion,with the right bolts etc, are there any know issues/ parts/ that I should be aware of before buying? I hate buying somthing going to fit it on a Sunday afternoon and then finding out oops need a _____ to do the job correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2009, 6:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik
My new 08 GT has not yet had the battery fail.. I like to be proactive and it seems the best choice is the Oddesey.. From using the search funtion it also seems the PC680 is the model. So what I'm wondering is does it fit correctly, are the terminals in the right place/orientaion,with the right bolts etc, are there any know issues/ parts/ that I should be aware of before buying? I hate buying somthing going to fit it on a Sunday afternoon and then finding out oops need a _____ to do the job correctly.
I had one in my 06. The battery fits just fine, however a small shim is necessary to keep it tight in the well. It is just a little slimmer than oem. The terminals are just fine.

Rusty
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2009, 7:11 pm
Enthusiast

Erik, My early '07 GT has shown the typical symptoms of an underpowered battery pretty much from the start but has never failed me. You know the typical BMW dealer jive, "they all do that". Yes, mine is sluggish at times when trying to start the bike when hot and the battery symbol shows up on the LCD screen for a few seconds after starting but seems to be OK for the most part. I don't believe it is ready to fail anytime soon. I do believe the Oddesey battery is a direct fit to the GT but don't think it fits all K bikes. I do not have any direct experience with that battery other than what I have picked up on the forums here. You can be sure though that once it fails me, it's GONE... We are probably only 30 minutes away from each other via I-195. I'm exit 13.

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!

Last edited by rebeltown; Feb 5th, 2009 at 7:12 pm. Reason: puncuation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2009, 8:57 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Consider a PC680MJ instead of the PC680.

See this thread: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15642

I plan to replace my battery at the 2 year mark, and I like the idea of the metal jacketed heat shielding. It isn't absolutely necessary, but it doesn't hurt, either. I have no experience with Odyssey batteries (yet), so I hope one of the other guys jumps in with real-world experience...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2009, 9:44 pm
Addict-oholic

I have an 06 and decided approaching the 3yr mark and wintertime: my oem batterey was working fine, I decided to replace it with the standard Odyssey PC680. All the terminals and length are perfect. The width needed a shim and I used 2 rubber washers. Perfect fit and the bike starts better and charges on the BMW canbus gel charger faster.
I put the my used oem battery in my son's bike (older bike without all the fancy electonics and smaller motor) and it is running just fine!

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2009, 10:39 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
Consider a PC680MJ instead of the PC680.

See this thread: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15642

I plan to replace my battery at the 2 year mark, and I like the idea of the metal jacketed heat shielding. It isn't absolutely necessary, but it doesn't hurt, either. I have no experience with Odyssey batteries (yet), so I hope one of the other guys jumps in with real-world experience...
I talked to the folks at West Coast Batteries. He says it's unecessary to go with the metal jacket on our bikes and only recommends it for honking big, V-Twins.

I bought an Odyssey for my LT simply because I hated checking and putting water in the battery. Ran it for four years and now it's in our Kawasaki Mule that has a small solar panel keeping it charged. The thing is seven years old now.

I definitely have an Odyssey in the GT.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2009, 7:55 am
Rookie

I already replaced the battery on my "08 because I discovered it could not take the cold weather I ride in. It wouldn't start at temperatures below 20 degrees or so, but as soon as the temperature rose, it started like there was never a problem. The Odyssey doesn't care what the temp is outside. I can definitely give it a

2008 K1200GT
2005 FZ1
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2009, 8:00 am
Rookie

Quote:
FYI.. I got mine through Summit Racing for $121.95. Not sure if that's the cheapest around, but it was cheaper than most I looked at.

2008 K1200GT
2005 FZ1
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2009, 8:16 am
Veteran

Get the PC680-MJ (Metal Jacketed) version.

If I recall, it raises the operating range of the battery by 50 degrees. I believe the normal range without the jacket was 120; with it on it goes up to 170 degrees. I doubt resting under that battery cover, in the summer temps, it is below 120 degrees behind that radiator. The unjacketed one was designed for placement in vehicles like golf carts and not resting behind a scaldingly hot radiator.

Might need a 5" length of 1/2" O.D. rubber hose to assist with the clamp as it is a bit shorter in height. I used a taped-up stick under the clamp. It ain't gonna fall out.

Mack
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2009, 10:35 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks everyone.. Just the info I needed. And Gary most weekends you can find a great group of riders ( many BMW's) in New Hope PA for breakfast ( at Lulu's) on Sundays.. Lots of great roads in that area...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltown
Erik, My early '07 GT has shown the typical symptoms of an underpowered battery pretty much from the start but has never failed me. You know the typical BMW dealer jive, "they all do that". Yes, mine is sluggish at times when trying to start the bike when hot and the battery symbol shows up on the LCD screen for a few seconds after starting but seems to be OK for the most part. I don't believe it is ready to fail anytime soon. I do believe the Oddesey battery is a direct fit to the GT but don't think it fits all K bikes. I do not have any direct experience with that battery other than what I have picked up on the forums here. You can be sure though that once it fails me, it's GONE... We are probably only 30 minutes away from each other via I-195. I'm exit 13.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode