FD Change - additions to the HoW? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2009, 7:47 pm Thread Starter

FD Change - additions to the HoW?

Did the FD change on the bike today. Easier than I thought it would be (that is, less hiccups). Many thanks to Coastie too for the writeup.

So here's my deal -

I did make my own sawhorse setup but was unhappy with it so I went another route. To get the rear end a little higher in the air to facilitate dropping the rear end I put the bike on the center stand and then hooked a ratchet strap to one mirror stalk, through the front tire to the other mirror stalk. A rag to protect the tupperware and ratcheted the front suspension down. Gave me a couple more inches in the back. I figure still less stress on the centerstand than someone sitting on it. Bike was rock solid the whole time.

I dropped the rear end to the point it hangs on the driveshaft and drained most of the fluid like that. Then I split the rear end (it will not touch the ground, don't worry) and used a pan I made from aluminum foil to catch the rest of the fluid.

To drop the rear end a 5/8 wrench works perfect if you don't have a 16mm.

Pump the new fluid in SLOW or it will just piss all over the place. Ask me how I know.

When you reinstall the muffler "can" check clearance with the rear tire. Mine at first was wicked close (less than 3mm maybe). A twist at the clamp and re-tighten and you're all set.

So you don't have to dig I added these specs to my saved version of Coastie's writeup.
Muffler on passenger footrest - 16ft/lb (22nm)
Muffler on manifold (clamp) - 26 ft/lb (35nm)

I counted my ml and cc's carefully but when it's full it will just run out the speed sensor hole, that's a good indicator I guess. At 4707 miles mine was blackish read and the drain plug was full of assembly lube/paste.

Used Loctite 65% moly for the splines. Like the container, very reusable and plenty if you want to come do FD at my house!

Make sure you use gloves! I bought a big box of disposable vinyl gloves at the hardware store and used two pairs, one for disassembly and cleaning and another for reinstall.

Have brake cleaner handy too as you will spill oil and it's easiest to just blast away with the brake cleaner. Still took a couple passes up and down the block before I could trip the anti-lock on the read end fyi.

Hope this helps. Did mine a little sooner than 6K so I can get on a "continued maintainence program". Stagger my dealer visits, oil and FD changes so the bike isn't down for a long time and it's smaller projects than one big one. Probably do it again at 10K or if I get bored.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2009, 6:08 am
Addict

I've done this on my GS but not on the GT- is it impossible to remove the rear tire without taking off the can?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2009, 8:57 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma
I've done this on my GS but not on the GT- is it impossible to remove the rear tire without taking off the can?
Taking off the can is easy, really. But yes, it's possible. If you loosen the clamp at the ball joint and then remove the bolt by the pax footrest you can swivel the can up an more out of the way. I wrapped a soft strap around mine the first time and through the pax grab handle. Held it up there with room enough to remove the rear tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2009, 10:12 am
Addict

I was just thinking in terms of draining the fluid while it's still warm from a ride might mean 3rd degree burns from the can!

BTW, did you fire it up without the can just for fun?

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2009, 7:37 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma
I was just thinking in terms of draining the fluid while it's still warm from a ride might mean 3rd degree burns from the can!

BTW, did you fire it up without the can just for fun?

A couple of towels and I just got really warm hands from the can! Still wicked hot when I was done, but handle with care!

YES! I did fire it up. Had to. It...was......so beautiful. Though I admit, startled the heck outta me. Awesome!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2009, 8:31 pm
Enthusiast

They do sound sweeeeeet don't they.

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode