Not another tyre thread - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2009, 7:50 pm Thread Starter

Not another tyre thread

I can tell I'm gonna need new tires soon. Hope I can make it all the way to my 6k service and do it the. Got the stock BT020's on there (Michelin I think, don't make me walk to the garage, I'm tired).

Anyways, I've read every other tire thread and to be perfectly honest, I've liked these tires. Started cupping at about 4400 miles (4700 now). Nice and quiet until I lean a little, then I hear the front whistle.

So I like these tires, is that crazy to want to keep this kind? The are plenty grippy, ride pretty good (as far as I can tell). Should be able to go 6000 miles on them without trouble. Don't think I need 10k tires, do I? Gonna go re-read tire threads again. Not sure this isn't a good tire to put on again.

UPDATE - Reread threads and it looks like the Pilot Road 2 tires are the fav and my stockers should be good to 6k.

Reality check please! And sorry for
ANOTHER TYRE THREAD

Last edited by iflybricks; Feb 6th, 2009 at 8:08 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2009, 8:16 pm
Veteran

My stockers are Bridgestone Battleax, is that what the BT"whatever" are? I am liking them so far but only a few thousand into them, but so far they seem to work pretty good for me.
Gilly
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2009, 8:21 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflybricks
I can tell I'm gonna need new tires soon. Hope I can make it all the way to my 6k service and do it the. Got the stock BT020's on there (Michelin I think, don't make me walk to the garage, I'm tired).

Anyways, I've read every other tire thread and to be perfectly honest, I've liked these tires. Started cupping at about 4400 miles (4700 now). Nice and quiet until I lean a little, then I hear the front whistle.

So I like these tires, is that crazy to want to keep this kind? The are plenty grippy, ride pretty good (as far as I can tell). Should be able to go 6000 miles on them without trouble. Don't think I need 10k tires, do I? Gonna go re-read tire threads again. Not sure this isn't a good tire to put on again.

UPDATE - Reread threads and it looks like the Pilot Road 2 tires are the fav and my stockers should be good to 6k.

Reality check please! And sorry for
ANOTHER TYRE THREAD
If you like them and you are satisfied with the mileage the who cares what we think? Buy what you like and are comfortable with.

I have Z6's on my bike and cannot wait for them to wear out. Avon Storms are my preference.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2009, 8:43 pm

Quote:
Got the stock BT020's on there (Michelin I think
BT020's are Bridgestones.

They are OEM tires, and I think they still make them, but they might be less available than say a BT021, or any of the other 100 choices.

You can do much worse than Bridgestone. They aren't bad, but you might get more mileage out of something else.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2009, 9:01 pm
Strafist

The front tire scallops, and for me, that sux.

Why not try the PR2's? I got about 10k out of them.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2009, 9:10 pm
IBR# 366

Well, this is what I think about GT tires, with the latest update here. But then you've seen that thread, less than a month ago.

My short answer is that the BT021's slipped a bit in the wet, the PR2's lasted but wore badly, and the Roadsmarts didn't last and wore badly. The Storms gave me the best combination of wet & dry traction, handling for the life of the tire, and decent mileage.

But as said above, you go with what you're happy with on your bike.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2009, 8:38 am
Riding in company

Quote:
So I like these tires, is that crazy to want to keep this kind? The are plenty grippy, ride pretty good (as far as I can tell).
I had pretty much the same feeling about the BT21s which came on my RS. Then I tried another tire and liked it much better (Avon, FWIW). The bikey seems much more willing to tip into a turn. My point is that you might try a number of tires...there are so many. I don't say that you will wind up liking the 21s least of all, but you may find something which suits you much better.

BillA
Jersey Shore
K1200RS '04
BSA Victor '68ish
Club Car golf cart '92
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2009, 9:01 am Thread Starter

Meese, thanks for the links. That thread was the one I couldn't find! Found every other one though, weird.

Why do you say the PR2 wore badly? Can't you explain. Looks like PR2 and Avon Storms are the front runners among everyone here.

Grif - that scalloping on the front is super annoying! I hear ya, and the tire, both talking to me. I am picking up what you are layin' down brother. yeah! That front may have a ways to go but as far as I'm concerned it's about done with. Road trip in a few weeks, maybe that will wear some wear out of it.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2009, 9:59 am
Enthusiast

Well you know what they say about opinions don't you? Try several different manufacturers and see what you like best. So far I have used Bridgestones (2 sets of 020's-good tires), Z6's-hated 'em, Pirelli's- gone in 4K miles, 2 sets of Avon Storms-liked 'em, and now ME880's which I like so far. Go with you gut, riding style, and what works best for you on this one.

'05 R1200RT, Ruby, as in RED, (current garage queen)
'04 R1150RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto, '93 Seca II, '93 K1100RS, '83 Yamaha Maxim 750,
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2009, 12:18 pm
IBR# 366

I do a lot of freeway miles, and the PR2's developed a noticeable flat spot. Now that's not unusual, but the harder center compound developed a definite ridge where it transitioned onto the softer sides, which would actually jerk the bars slightly when leaning into a corner. I then rode several tanks of very twisty roads and the sides wore heavily, but that transition ridge never wore away. In fact, it may have gotten worse as the sides wore down rapidly.

So for me, the tires got noticeably worse as they wore in unevenly, whereas the Avons felt great to the end of their life.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode