We Were Better Off Before This . . . - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 3:26 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Smile We Were Better Off Before This . . .

Let me get it out of my system. I think the GT is beautiful/awesome styling, has all of the farkles one could want, and I am wetting my pants awaiting its arrival. There, shoot me! Whatever is available on it, hell, I'm getting it! (other than GPS/Nav system).

But c'mon guys, there was more activity on this forum when it was all speculation! My 12S is gonna be history . . . so anyone who wants it, make an offer. I already got the offer from the dealer! No offers, heck, I'll just keep it. Five bikes (lest you forget the clutchless FJR on order).

Now that I have come off as uhhhh, arrogant (didn't mean to be), uhhhhh bling, nah, not that either, just love cycles! I like to ride them, polish them, just look at them, whatever.

Hey, speaking of guys that love cycles, where's that guy from somewhere in Louisiana (hope Katrina didn't do him harm) that ended his replies with something like, can't remember it exactly, ",,,holy cow I love motorcycles?"

Ok, I am tired of seeing NADA on this forum Miles Miller, do you read me?

Who's gonna get one. Who thinks they suck? (must tell why) who's loves them but wants to wait for the bugs to settle out? (c'mon, it's a 12S/R with new skins/farkles.

Anything, puleeeeze!!!!!

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 8:16 pm

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
Let me get it out of my system. I think the GT is beautiful/awesome styling, has all of the farkles one could want, and I am wetting my pants awaiting its arrival. There, shoot me! Whatever is available on it, hell, I'm getting it! (other than GPS/Nav system).

But c'mon guys, there was more activity on this forum when it was all speculation! My 12S is gonna be history . . . so anyone who wants it, make an offer. I already got the offer from the dealer! No offers, heck, I'll just keep it. Five bikes (lest you forget the clutchless FJR on order).

Now that I have come off as uhhhh, arrogant (didn't mean to be), uhhhhh bling, nah, not that either, just love cycles! I like to ride them, polish them, just look at them, whatever.

Hey, speaking of guys that love cycles, where's that guy from somewhere in Louisiana (hope Katrina didn't do him harm) that ended his replies with something like, can't remember it exactly, ",,,holy cow I love motorcycles?"

Ok, I am tired of seeing NADA on this forum Miles Miller, do you read me?

Who's gonna get one. Who thinks they suck? (must tell why) who's loves them but wants to wait for the bugs to settle out? (c'mon, it's a 12S/R with new skins/farkles.

Anything, puleeeeze!!!!!

This afternoon I tested a K1200R. Very fast, very aggressive, very KS without clothing.

Back at the shop I quizzed the owner about the KGT. His opinion is the new GT is a de-tuned KS-KR with relaxed ergos, lots of toys, more clothing than the KS, a big price tag and a big "WHY". ( Note my email address, created just for this forum:
[email protected])

According to him the GT has even greater limitations than the KS and even more than the KR. Unless, of course, you're a regular touring cyclist. He defines a regular touring cyclist as a rider who routinely travels, that is, 12 tours minimum annually, in excess of 1000 miles. He felt the GT would be a great commuter for someone living in , say, Atlanta and worked in Miami. Otherwise he said "what's the point?". There many more competent, more comfortable, more usable touring bikes available from BMW.

The GT , says shop owner "is an S, is an R, is a 4 cylinder hyper-bike that's over powered for most riders, and can't be used, legally, or safely, by most people who ride them. The new K series is just plain excessive. However, he says " If you want to blow out the cobwebs now and then, which seems the main purpose of the K series, get the R; it's less $, less to insure, and unapologetic about it's purpose. It is not pretending.

Of course, Bimmerphiles love excess, even if only 1% of us have, or ever will find the heart of K-darkness and survive. And we do, we really do love this stuff. This mechanical excess! What bliss!!! Oh what beguiling, seductive, unconscious substitute this is for the agony of sexless marriages, low wage - high demand work, small dicks and beat up egos this is! And, our beloved BMW has the answer; the Emperors magic-k pill.

It's a game. And for a few hours a month we enjoy the toys BMW creates, just for us. Unless of course we live North of Atlanta which means our pleasure is reduced to a few hours for a few months. And with 6 months riding time / 3 rides per month / three years ownership / $20,000 plus insurance, maintenance, toys, maintenance,,,sounds like 26K or so,,,hummm, it all comes to about 54 rides at around $490 per ride. We're one rich bunch aren't we!

But wait, that doesn't answer the question of what to do about the new KGT. The owner has a simple solution. Buy one of each, from him of course, and keep yourself busy thinking there's actually something to all this K-ness. And somewhere, between rides, payments and spousal disgust maybe you'll get the answer you've been looking for...that you should have gotten Blue instead of Grey, and so what if the trade value is so low,,,you just know the Blue will be the one.

Like they say: Keep your eyes open, stop day dreaming, and enjoy the ride.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 8:27 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

[...And somewhere, between rides, payments and spousal disgust maybe you'll get the answer you've been looking for...that you should have gotten Blue instead of Grey, and so what if the trade value is so low,,,you just know the Blue will be the one.

Like they say: Keep your eyes open, stop day dreaming, and enjoy the ride.]
Gosh David, I tried to liven things up a bit on this forlorn forum that has denigrated to the point where, well, not to go there since don't want to insult anyone's thread: So, I get a diatribe on BMW's attempt at a touring machine, that looks damn good, and now you have to come and piss on my parade. I don't have payments, my spouse of 41 years is joyous that I have a hobby that keeps me out of her hair, and now you want me to throw it all in and become a model railroader, or worse yet, go out and buy a Viper or Ferrari Modena . . . blah, blah, blah!

Glad I awakened you!

Warmest Regards,
John

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA

Last edited by jpalamaro; Dec 4th, 2005 at 8:28 pm. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 10:19 pm

John,

Hey, you got to admit when the bike was first rolled out in Milan, this forum was lit up with activity. Trying to keep track, I'd say that about fifty percent of the comments were positive vs. negative. Pretty good for just seeing pictures.

Faust? Well, he's always twisting someone or everyone's tail. Up until now, it's railing up and down about the excesses of the K-S. It does surprise me a little that he's quoting a shop owner and goes off on another tangent on the new GT. It seems a little difficult to believe a BMW dealer would unsell a product he needs to sell down the road, so to speak.

Have to say, though, that Faust has this kind of Mark Twain quality and is always an interesting read no matter what he is flailing at. Different than Twain's oratory on the American scene, is Faust's description of the BMW scene as it plays itself out in North America. We need Faust in my estimation. Hell, he says in 300 words what my neighbor tells me in one sentence when he sees me with the wash rag on both bikes: "Very serious toys, there, Miles"

My hope for revitalizing this board is now targeted at Long Beach next weekend. Keep your fingers crossed it shows up there and continues to make the Cycle World round of shows. After that, this forum will shut down until the bike arrives at dealers showrooms for testrides. And, that's the key, John. How will it perform? If it delivers, it will serve as a fast, agile touring machine when called on and then shorn of its bags, deliver sport bike performance. (it won't look as nice w/o bags as the K-S/R, though).

The guy your referring to from Louisiana went by the user name "Kasperwing". He posted a dozen times a day on the old forum and somehow got lost when that board went away and this one started. Ironically, his real name is "David".

Miles

Last edited by Miles_Miller; Dec 4th, 2005 at 10:42 pm.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 10:47 pm

You know, many of us can ride the K to the upper reaches of it's performance, location and conditions notwithstanding. So, don't sell our fellows (me included) short on their capabilities to fully enjoy this fine machine. My take is that there is a definite "need" for a GT. My solo is an S, my 2-up is an 1150 RT. RT is an OK bike, a bit like a Ford, if you get my drift. I'm not keen on the 1200RT even though it is an improvement. But, my current RT is Ok for a trip, comfortable for a passenger, weak on the level of performance that I would prefer, etc. But, riding 2-up on the S, or 2-up on my old K/RS just doesn't get it for my passenger, even though they are far more satisfying for me.

So, as soon as I can ride the new GT to confirm it's virtues, I can mostly guarantee you that the bride and I will be doing our "ventures" on the new GT and I will be far more satisfied performance wise and she will be nice and comfy on her throne. By the way, what I hear from her in the Autocom most often is faster...let's get moving! Lucky me!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 11:01 pm
Statmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust
Of course, Bimmerphiles love excess, even if only 1% of us have, or ever will find the heart of K-darkness and survive. And we do, we really do love this stuff. This mechanical excess! What bliss!!! Oh what beguiling, seductive, unconscious substitute this is for the agony of sexless marriages, low wage - high demand work, small dicks and beat up egos this is! And, our beloved BMW has the answer; the Emperors magic-k pill.
Sad, funny, and true all in one paragraph.

Miles, it's not Mark Twain I think of when I read Faust's stuff, it's more like Hunter S Thompson. "Fear and Loathing in K-Darkness".

Gawddammit! Where's that "Welcome to the Dark Side" tagline when you need it.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 11:02 pm
Statmaster

I don't know where you get the idea that there was more activity before the announcement, but the stats would refute that statement.

Since the announcement, we've had oodles of pictures, the BMW announcement that went to the dealers, speculation on pricing, discussion of accessories, and quite a few comments regarding the asthetics.

I've already instructed my dealer to acquire me one with all the doodads (except the Navigator) in Blue. I think I've finally found something to replace the LT. I could never find that balance between the RS and the LT (having owned two RSs and one LT), and the new K1200GT appears to be that motorcycle.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 11:24 pm

Maybe that will be a sweet spot for the GT; LT and Goldwing owners wanting something a little lighter and more powerful.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2005, 12:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust
Unless of course we live North of Atlanta which means our pleasure is reduced to a few hours for a few months.
I live North of Atlanta (Pacific Northwest) and can ride year 'round. Do have to throw on the rain gear and turn on the heated seat once in a while.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2005, 9:11 am

IMO, the GT will be a little on the weak side for my style of riding compared to the S. Also,
it will be a bit of a porker like the old GT. I can ride the S all day and be comfortable.

Just depends n your style of riding I guess.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode