09 GT Appearance Complaints - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2009, 8:08 am Thread Starter

09 GT Appearance Complaints

Correct me if my memory is incorrect, but when the 1200GT first came out, back in 06, didn't everyone complain loudly about the styling? No one liked the flat, slab, angular body work, right?

Now, everybody is complaining about BMW's attempt to add a little spice to that ugly, flat, slab body work! Funny, isn't it?

Don Goldberg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2009, 9:49 am
Enthusiast

Touche' Don!! Excellent point and I remember reading all of those comments about the big flat slab.

'05 R1200RT, Ruby, as in RED, (current garage queen)
'04 R1150RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto, '93 Seca II, '93 K1100RS, '83 Yamaha Maxim 750,
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2009, 10:02 am
Enthusiast

There were comments on both sides of the isle about the styling. Same with the badge so I'd say nothing has changed. Every vehicle on the planet has the same problem and thank God the K1200GT is no different, if it were, I wouldn't be able to afford it or find one.

Remember the Pacific Coast Honda released? Now that created a worthy argument and some of the styling cues remain in other bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2009, 10:05 am
Rookie

Honestly, I never understood why some many negative comments on the styling. It looks like the same bike with a vent in the side to me. No big deal.

2008 K1200GT
2005 FZ1
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2009, 10:36 am
Rookie

...but now the vent looks like a cheap piece of "Made in China" plastic that will fall off at the first washing.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2009, 12:01 pm
Veteran

No one made a comment about the handlebar controls back then other than general BMW button placement. Nothing about their aesthetics or "styling" was mentioned.

Sorry, but this new GT looks very cheap with the new reservoir setup. Toss in the ability for wretched individuals to loosen the caps so they fall off at speed - and you know who you are!

Mack
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2009, 12:28 pm
Rookie

I must say that I don’t like the new reservoirs. Was just at my local dealer and parked next to the 09 GT, of course, were two 08 GTs. Though I like the switch layouts on the 09 the new reservoirs gives the impression that BMW was trying to savy money. The old setup looks like a well made piece of art in comparison.

I’m sure, actually hoping, that aftermarket will provide a better reservoirs layout. There is no reason to have those reservoirs sticking out like sore thumbs. The whole time I was on the bike, my attention was distracted by them. Especially by the one that looked like a piss cup full of…piss.

If their intent was to allow better inspection of the level and color of fluids…well I have yet to see a covered reservoir (BMW not included) that didn’t provide an inspection window.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2009, 5:25 pm
Rookie

Funny. This bike doesn't often look nice in pictures but fine in real. Can't understand why.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2009, 5:33 pm

Nobody talking about the still yellow indicator lights - It looks dated compared to others in the range.
I also concur with above and hate the "honey pot" resevoirs and the cheap looking switches .
ARGH !!!!

Dave

If it's not fun - your doing it wrong !!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2009, 6:03 pm
"DELIVERS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongold
Correct me if my memory is incorrect, but when the 1200GT first came out, back in 06, didn't everyone complain loudly about the styling? No one liked the flat, slab, angular body work, right?
Now, everybody is complaining about BMW's attempt to add a little spice to that ugly, flat, slab body work! Fugly, isn't it?
Don Goldberg
FIXED...

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode