First Oil Change K12GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2009, 6:15 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

First Oil Change K12GT

A few weeks ago I hosted a Tech Daze and one of the guys showed up with a new gen KGT and needed an oil change. Great! Steve and I had a chance to learn how to change the oil on someone else's bike before we attempted it on our bikes. :thumbsup:

Here is Allen looking at his KGT and worried about handing his baby over to two complete strangers. :S

About an hour later the job was complete and Allen, the owner of the KGT thanked Steve and me even though we spilled more oil on the floor and on his exhaust pipe than made it into the catch pans.

I came away from the experience with 2 questions; why does BMW have to complicate the most mundane of bike maintenance--the oil change, and how can I keep oil off the floor and exhaust system even with Steve in the room. :

So here is what I did.

First I purchased an oil extraction system. I went down to the local West Marine and purchased a MOELLER Fluid Extractor Kit. With this nifty tool I could avoid oil spillage problem #1: BMW advise you to disconnect the oil hose at the top of the oil tank and guide it down past an obstacle course of wires, pipes and exhaust and drain the oil tank into a pan. An ear plug stuffed in the end of the hose will keep the oil from spilling out all over the place while you guide it to the pan, but I prefer to suck the oil out with the Moeller extractor.

To use the Moeller extractor you must pull the dip stick and the basket from the oil tank.

Next stick the extraction hose into the oil tank and find the low point in the tank. Pump the Moeller up to create a vacuum and within 5 minutes the tank is empty.

I noted about 2.2 liters extracted from the tank.

Next I removed the engine plug and drained off another 1.2 liters of oil and then it was onto the oil filter removal--the source of oil spillage #2.

Here is a picture of the plug at 3,066 miles--just a little fuzy stuff. By the way the bike has not burned a drop of oil.

Ok, keeping the oil filter from spilling oil all over God's earth...Nothing fancy here; I just used an awl to puncture a hole in the filter at the 6 oclock position and let the oil drain out. This is a trick used by many of the RT folks and it works well with the KGT too.

The only other thing I did to keep the oil from the exhaust was to wrap them in aluminum foil. This turned out to be a good thing because the filter oil ran back in the direct of the exhaust and would have made a mess had the foil barrier not been in place.

Here is my oil wrench; from Channel Lock.

Oh, one last thing; I changed over to Super Synthetic at 3,066 miles and noticed an immediate improvement in shifting.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2009, 7:52 am
Enthusiast

Isn't 3,066 miles a little early to change to synthetic.

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2009, 8:07 am
Addict

I have the same oil extractor but I pull the hose and put the extractor hose down that hole.

Last edited by Brahma; Feb 15th, 2009 at 10:22 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2009, 9:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma
I have the same oil extractor but I pull the hose and put the extractor hone down that hole.
+1 on pinching off the straw retainer and using that hole.

07 K1200GT

You can't have everything! Where would you put it?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2009, 11:04 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergie
Isn't 3,066 miles a little early to change to synthetic.
I've run synthetic in new engines right from the start; the mileage is irrelevant. Most of what you read on the boards or hear via word of mouth regarding waiting until the engine is run in is based on observation, hearsay or gut feel. None of it is based on scientific fact.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2009, 1:18 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandera
I've run synthetic in new engines right from the start; the mileage is irrelevant. Most of what you read on the boards or hear via word of mouth regarding waiting until the engine is run in is based on observation, hearsay or gut feel. None of it is based on scientific fact.
I agree, I usually switch to Syn at my first change. Never had a problem with engine break-in or oil usage.

James
Central Texas
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2009, 1:23 pm
Enthusiast

My experience hasn't been hear say or reading. I'm a retired race engine builder and have had experience first hand. However I don't know what BMW uses for rings or cylinder wall coating so I really can't say if that is to soon or not.

Wayne

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2009, 1:41 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergie
My experience hasn't been hear say or reading. I'm a retired race engine builder and have had experience first hand. However I don't know what BMW uses for rings or cylinder wall coating so I really can't say if that is to soon or not.
Hi Fergie--I am not disputing your experience, but I deal in quantifiable facts and have not found any data that running a new engine on synthetic has any adverse effect at all.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2009, 1:54 pm
Addict

Was that really the first oil change at 3,066 miles. Isn't the first oil change done at the 600 mile service?

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2009, 2:04 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandera
Hi Fergie--I am not disputing your experience, but I deal in quantifiable facts and have not found any data that running a new engine on synthetic has any adverse effect at all.
Hi Gregory. Not disputing your findings either. It just got my curiosity going. I must admit that I retired building engines in 1991 so allot of things have changed since then. I'm sure that ring packages and cylinder finishes have changed a ton since then. Guess your saying I'm safe to change my GT with a little over 15K to Amsoil?

I am a believer of synthetics. In 1994 a friend and I bought a K100RT and I changed my final drive to Amsoil gear oil and whenever we went riding you could put tour hand on my final drive but not his. His was scorching hot, mine was hot but not hot enough so you could not put your hand on it and leave it there. Made a believer out of me.

Wayne

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode