K1300GT First Impressions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2009, 5:44 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

K1300GT First Impressions

I was at Santa Cruz BMW yesterday having the fuel strip on my GT replaced, and I asked the sales guy Shawn Thomas if he had taken delivery on the '09 yet. Why yes we have, would you like to demo it! So off I went to see if this new bike is worth thinking about in the future.

What a thrill to be the first guy on the bike (4 mi on the odom) but with new rubber and wet roads from the California monsoons, I had to take it easy. First, the transmission is smoother right out of the gate. The clunkiness is reduced and its not so sensitive to little shifting "errors". The extra power is noticeable. The extra weight is not. Throttle response is quicker than the '08 and low speed operation is fine (although so is my '08 with the new airbox, software, yada yada yada). It must have more torque than the previous model because the power delivery was instantaneous at lower revs. The handling and braking are very similiar to the '08. With the fresh motor I kept it below 7K and I can only imagine that the higher revs would be as equally impressive as the lower ones.

OK, about the reservoirs and controls. The reservoirs are definitely a step backward as has previously been chronicled. They just look cheap. The new controls will take some getting used to but in time I am sure the brain can adapt to the locations. The biggest problem is that most of the switches (especially turn signal and cruise control) have been reduced in size and are difficult to operate with winter gloves on. I rationalize away these drawbacks by virtue of the fact that when you are getting it on in the twisties, you are not operating these controls or looking down at the reservoirs!

Overall I rate the bike high. Will I buy one? Well I know that I will not keep my '08 after the warranty expires, based on its pathetic repair/recall history. I will keep my eye on the succuess of the 1300 and if it has shed the previous gremlins, I will definitely consider it in a year or two.

Thank you Shawn!

Steve Sylvester
Paso Robles, Ca

'08 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2009, 9:21 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebus
I was at Santa Cruz BMW yesterday having the fuel strip on my GT replaced, and I asked the sales guy Shawn Thomas if he had taken delivery on the '09 yet. Why yes we have, would you like to demo it! So off I went to see if this new bike is worth thinking about in the future.

What a thrill to be the first guy on the bike (4 mi on the odom) but with new rubber and wet roads from the California monsoons, I had to take it easy. First, the transmission is smoother right out of the gate. The clunkiness is reduced and its not so sensitive to little shifting "errors". The extra power is noticeable. The extra weight is not. Throttle response is quicker than the '08 and low speed operation is fine (although so is my '08 with the new airbox, software, yada yada yada). It must have more torque than the previous model because the power delivery was instantaneous at lower revs. The handling and braking are very similiar to the '08. With the fresh motor I kept it below 7K and I can only imagine that the higher revs would be as equally impressive as the lower ones.

OK, about the reservoirs and controls. The reservoirs are definitely a step backward as has previously been chronicled. They just look cheap. The new controls will take some getting used to but in time I am sure the brain can adapt to the locations. The biggest problem is that most of the switches (especially turn signal and cruise control) have been reduced in size and are difficult to operate with winter gloves on. I rationalize away these drawbacks by virtue of the fact that when you are getting it on in the twisties, you are not operating these controls or looking down at the reservoirs!

Overall I rate the bike high. Will I buy one? Well I know that I will not keep my '08 after the warranty expires, based on its pathetic repair/recall history. I will keep my eye on the succuess of the 1300 and if it has shed the previous gremlins, I will definitely consider it in a year or two.

Thank you Shawn!

Thanks for the review. If I get a chance to demo one, I won't turn it down. Knowing my severe lack of self control to always have something new, it probably wouldn't be a good idea though.

2008 K1200GT
2005 FZ1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode