Stock Exhaust, Speeding Ticket, & My Birthday - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2009, 10:20 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Stock Exhaust, Speeding Ticket, & My Birthday

Well I had been ruminating on what exhaust to get and was coming to the conclusion to just keep it stock. So Sunday it was nice low 40's I've been trying to get out on the GT to get some break in miles on her.. My birthday was Saturday ( 50 ugh) and since I had partied pretty hard the night before I got a bit of a late start.. So I'm out tooling around and I turned off a major road on to a secondary and just sort of gave her a bit o'gas and F--K off goes the Valentine full blast and a minute or so down the road the dreaded blue lights F, F, F, so I pull right over and a nice young fellow walks up and asks for the license.. DAMN, DAMN DAMN well the second thing out of his mouth is that bike new? Sure is pretty and QUIET too!!! Didn't hear you go by me at all.. well he said he clocked me at 49 in a 25 (ouch) that's like 6 points in NJ.. Well I mentioned that the bike was new, showed him the 225 miles on the odometer, apologized a lot, mentioned that it was just my birthday yesterday, acted very contrite, and humble... more just pissed at my self.. and begged some more and YES, he cut me loose, slow down, be careful, and nice bike sir.. best birthday present I got, maybe getting old isn't all that bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2009, 1:31 pm
Enthusiast

Glad to hear you just got a warning. The ting is if your honest with the answers they ask, most of them will be nice back. I've avoided a few major speeding tickets that way. The LEO's are just out there doing there job and if you cut them a break they usually will return the favor.

Now as for turning 50, it only gets better. I'm 55 and still locking ahead.

Be safe and enjoy the GT.

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2009, 2:12 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks Wayne. It's always been my policy to be decent and respectful when I get stopped it doesn't EVER accomplish anything to be rude.. and I know that cops have a tough job so why make it worse for them or me. As for fifty well I did get a nice new exercise bike.. so I'm even trying to get back in shape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2009, 8:13 pm
Enthusiast

Lucky !

Think maybe I will move to New Jersey,if you had been booked here in Victoria (Australia) you would have been walking for 3 months or so and lost your bike for a few days.Draconian hoon laws.25 Kph (15Mph) over limit automatic loss of license !Crazy
cheers and good luck Andrew
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2009, 8:13 pm
Noob

I have'nt been pulled over on my K1200GT but a few times I did get pulled over on my honda when i first got it. Being honest with police is the best thing you can do, out of the 3 times I got pulled over, I got let off every time usually with a promise to slow down and ride safe.

'08 K1200GT Dark Graphite
'03 CBR 954RR
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2009, 8:27 pm
JCW
contributor

I got pulled over on my K1200R a couple years ago. Thought I'd never get out of it. He looked at my license and noted I lived in town. He cut me a break and let me go.

Now in Chicago, where our deficet thanks to Blago is in the billions, you'll never get out of a ticket. It's definitely a revenue generator. They are in full force these days.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2009, 2:01 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMaRider
I have'nt been pulled over on my K1200GT but a few times I did get pulled over on my honda when i first got it. Being honest with police is the best thing you can do, out of the 3 times I got pulled over, I got let off every time usually with a promise to slow down and ride safe.
Soooo have you slowed down.

I promised the same thing, thing is I forget about it after a few miles.

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2009, 4:58 pm

if the radar detector sounded?

what radar were they using that you couldn't avoid it? Was it lasar? I just got a detector and don't want a ticket.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2009, 10:28 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Hit me with instant on.. No detector in the world works if the radar isn't on.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2009, 12:57 am
IBR# 366

A radar detector is not a "get out of jail free" card. It is another useful piece of information on what's coming up in the road ahead. But you still have to be paying attention, and riding within the limits of the current situation.

My Valentine1 has more than paid for itself, many times over. It has often gone off as cars in front of me are targeted, giving me ample time to check my speed and adjust if necessary. That can work with instant-on radar as well, if you're paying attention. If you're the only guy on the road though, instant-on is quite effective.

But you still have to be aware of the road conditions, watch your speed and other traffic, and be aware of locations likely to be targeted. This includes coming into a small town, school zones, long downhills, a sudden passing lane or dashed yellow lines after a long no passing zone, etc. Situational awareness is more important that any piece of electronics, but I'll take that extra bit of information that helps heighten my alertness when appropriate.

And it's even possible to be saved from laser. Not often, but a big laser hit plus a languid LEO, plus a conveniently placed exit, plus a sudden need to refuel at the farthest-back pump can all tend to work in your favor. Or so I've heard.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode