How much protection does a passenger have? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2009, 3:32 pm Thread Starter

Question How much protection does a passenger have?

I see on Kevin Ash reviews the K1300GT post, Link

Kevin states:

"A bigger issue now is the size of the panniers. They’re fully integrated in the design and come as standard, but they have rather thick walls so the interior dimensions are small – just about big enough for one, but not really adequate if you carry a pillion"

From those of you that ride two up, How much protection does a passenger have from the wind? Much buffer?

My dear wife (who will be thrilled to know she is now a pillion) weighs 100 pounds and will be sitting behind my 220 pound mass. She is 5'5" and I am 6'.

On other bikes (e.g. a full fairing Kawi Concours) when we exceed 70 mph her helmet starts getting sucked off her head (a smaller helmet is not an option: she just has a small head (I mean that in a nice way )

Bottom line: how comfortable is the ride for a passenger?

Last edited by Meese; Feb 18th, 2009 at 8:34 pm. Reason: fixed link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2009, 3:57 pm

Can't read the linked Telegraph report, but can try to answer your question.

I'm 5'10 and my wife is 4'10, a little shorter than both of you but she gets almost no wind blast, certainly not helmet moving! We do have the OEM high screen but there is no noticeable difference whether its in low or high position.

Re. comfort, the (replaced 2006 seat) is by far the most comfortable shes been on, allowing us easy 8-10 hour days in the saddle.

Re. the panniers, we haven't noticed that we pack any less in them than the Givis which we had on the CBR1100XX. Better to travel light anyway!

Hope that helps?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2009, 4:32 pm

My wife's $.02 is that this is the most comfortable bike we've ever owned.

That's after we've had:

a Kawasaki Ninja 750 - no surprise it wasn't too comfortable for her
a BMW K75S - she just didn't like that bike too much
a BMW K1200LT - and the rolling sofa was her idea!

Wind buffeting isn't really a problem - just be sure to adjust the windscreen so your wife's head is in a neutral position. Too low and she'll get wind coming up and under the helmet...too high and the wind will wrap, pushing her head forward. Just right = happy wife!

BTW - after just one ride on the new GT my wife said she loved it and said I had to buy it!

Yep - she's a keeper!

Mike

'08 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2009, 4:33 pm Thread Starter

Thanks GTConvert, that was helpful.

Not sure why the link doesn't work (I cut and pasted it from the Kevin Ash reviews the K1300GT post above).

I'm going with the stock windshield. I haven't been able to road test it yet but, when fully extended, I am just peering over the windshield and that seems to have been an optimum height in my other bikes.

130 days and counting until I get my R13GT
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2009, 4:44 pm
Enthusiast

She is gonna need to like the wind. The better BMW appliance for the pillion is the RT or the LT.

If she likes the wind and elements, she'll love the KGT.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2009, 4:46 pm

Passenger Comfort

My wife and I have been touring for many years and pretty much have our packing well sorted. Coming from an H-D Electraglide, we made a couple of adjustments but it was no big deal. I take one saddlebag, she take the other and we pack all underwear and personal items in them. In the 49 liter top case, we pack our clothes. I do not have a rack on the top case.

I added 2" to the windscreen width and height and she has no buffeting problems. A Sargent saddle helped the comfort for both of us. I also lowered the footpegs for both of us.

Mike
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2009, 6:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkuhno
My wife's $.02 is that this is the most comfortable bike we've ever owned.

That's after we've had:

a Kawasaki Ninja 750 - no surprise it wasn't too comfortable for her
a BMW K75S - she just didn't like that bike too much
a BMW K1200LT - and the rolling sofa was her idea!

Wind buffeting isn't really a problem - just be sure to adjust the windscreen so your wife's head is in a neutral position. Too low and she'll get wind coming up and under the helmet...too high and the wind will wrap, pushing her head forward. Just right = happy wife!

BTW - after just one ride on the new GT my wife said she loved it and said I had to buy it!

Yep - she's a keeper!
My wife also says this(K1200GT) is a very comfortable bike for her ... I'm 5'9 and she's 5'8, so about an inch above me when seated on the bike.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2009, 8:56 pm
Addict

I have to disagree with Kevin Ash's assessment of the side cases, or the fancy name pannier. They seem more than ample to me for a sport tourer. They hold more than an FJR side case, and more than my 03RT did, and the whole thickness thing doesn't make any sense to me at all. The bike is a SPORT TOURER, and in my opinion emphasis on Sport, it's not a Goldwing or an LT. Besides BMW definitely got the locking system correct now, no more orange tabs to break.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2009, 9:22 pm
IBR# 366

Fixed the link for you.

Don't worry too much about wind buffeting. The GT is electronically limited to 70 mph anyway. Anything above that would just be unsafe.

As others have mentioned, the adjustable windshield is key here. Find a position that works for her. And if necessary, a larger/better windshield is a relatively cheap investment.

As for Kevin's views on the panniers, I don't get it. They look just the same as on the K12GT, which means swallowing a full-face helmet each. And with the 49L top case, there is actually more useable storage space than on an LT. Trust me, I've lived on both for weeks at a time, even two-up.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2009, 6:25 am

Reduced Storage?

To the contrary, I find that the storage capacity is not much different from my old GL1800.

One thing I have done, that really makes it a no-brainer, is to convert almost _all_ of my (our, when wife comes along) travel clothing to synthetic fabric! It packs smaller, is easily washed, etc.

I assumed the side cases on the K1300GT were the same size as the K1200GT. I'll find out for sure on Saturday, when I pick up my new bike! <g>

Don G

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode