post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2009, 12:10 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

GT Insurance Confusion

Now Iím really confused. My short list (in order) consists of:

1. K1300 S
2. K1300 GT
3. R1200RT
4. Triumph Sprint ST ABS

Iím not gonna get into details of insurance coverage since every area, rider, and individual coverage requirements is different, but here is what I came up with (yearly cost Ė same coverage on each item).

KS - $1,853
Lot More Than:
Aprilis RSV Factory, Hayabusa, Ninja-14

KGT - $608

RRT - $634

Sprint - $969

So whatís so confusing is why the GT is less than the RT and why is the KS (only 17 extra HP) 3 times the cost of the GT?

I really had my heart set on the KS (Demo ride scheduled) and I am now very disappointed. That $1,823 is more than the combination all three of my cars, my 27 foot sail boat, my other MC, and my Home Ownerís Insurance.

Now the KGT has moved back up to the top of my list (Ride not scheduled). Does anyone have an ideal why the GTís cost is so low compared to the rest? Especially to the R12RT and the Triumph Sprint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2009, 12:45 pm
Veteran

Shop around.

My GT insurance was $1000 once some bloke knocked it over while I slept in So. CA awaiting an AM routine service.

Auto Club So. CA dropped it to $350 or so, and I still manage to knock it over once a year. However, now I'm afraid to turn in any more claims so now I just cough up the $4000 to fix it myself when it falls down (BMW designed it that way).

Ask at your dealer which BMW gets totaled out more. The K1200S seems to be at the top of the heap above any other model.

Mack
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2009, 12:54 pm
Addict

Don't know about your neck of the woods, but around here I think the GT & RT are considered touring bikes, while the Triumph & S are considered sport bikes. Touring bikes around here tend to have lower rates. I guess they figure folks who tour won't ride wrecklessly.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2009, 1:11 pm
Addict

So get the GT and ride it like a S.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2009, 1:40 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
Don't know about your neck of the woods, but around here I think the GT & RT are considered touring bikes, while the Triumph & S are considered sport bikes. Touring bikes around here tend to have lower rates. I guess they figure folks who tour won't ride wrecklessly.
But why would the GT cost less to insure over the RT? The GT cost a lot more and has a lot more HP....and a lot faster...of course.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2009, 2:28 pm

129 days and counting

interestingly, in preparation for the new K13GT I called my agent and she said that the that I couldn't get coverage for a K1200GT but will be able to for the K1300GT (?)
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2009, 2:58 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier6162
But why would the GT cost less to insure over the RT? The GT cost a lot more and has a lot more HP....and a lot faster...of course.
It all has to do with the classification of the motorcycle and whatever costs associated to repair/replace it based on what some dumbshit that has never ridden a bike thinks.

'03 K1200GT

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2009, 3:50 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier6162
Shh, we don't want them to know that. The GT is a nice, safe touring bike, after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk63
It all has to do with the classification of the motorcycle and whatever costs associated to repair/replace it based on what some dumbshit that has never ridden a bike thinks.
My wife's last car was technically a 4-seater because it had an "insurance" back seat, meaning that you could squeeze in an adult, but only if they had no legs. Still, it was cheaper to insure than many two-seater "sports" cars even though the turbo meant that it was much faster than many of them.

Besides, you're only talking $26 difference here. Not that big a deal, really.

As for the S, not only is it classified as a "sport" bike, but it will attract more riders that will want to ride it that way, whereas the GT attracts those with a (slightly) more practical side. Both bikes are extremely capable and not all that different on real-world streets, but I'm guessing that the S will be involved in more accidents than the GT (simple tip-overs not included), simply because more riders will be pushing the performance edge more often. And some of them will find it, with sometimes disastrous results.

The bottom line is that insurance companies are in it to make money, so they will set the rates to cover their expenses, plus whatever profit they can get. If you're OK with the rate then go for it. If not, then shop around.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2009, 3:51 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs
So get the GT and ride it like a S.
Works for me. But don't tell anyone.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2009, 4:07 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

I can assume that GT stands for Grand Touring as a suggestion that itís a touring motorcycle. And hence touring motorcycles are safe because we donít race them but drone them down the highway mile after mile.

What does the RT stand for on the R1200RT?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode