K1300GT in the garage: first impressions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2009, 2:50 pm Thread Starter

K1300GT in the garage: first impressions

Well, I picked up the new K1300GT this morning, and rode it home from Manhattan to NW NJ--only about 50 miles. (traded in my 06 K1200GT) Not much of a true test ride, but here are some initial impressions:

- The red color isn't that bad. In the sun, reminds me of my old 01 GL1800 "illusion" red. It wasn't my first choice, but I like it.
- Throttle response is definitely much smoother! Was caught in some stop and go traffic for awhile, and there is a marked improvement. Very noticable.
- The bike felt lighter, leaning into curves very effortlessly.
- All it took was the first attempt to activate left turn signal to put me back into "japanese bike mode!" You hit the horn inadvertantly. <g> After that, not one mistep. Remarkable how quickly you fall back into the previous style. I like it much better. In fact, I like the controls better over all. Intuitive, cleanly laid out, functional. (once you figure out where the headlight switch is!<g>)
- Maybe my imagination, but the exhaust has a deeper, throaty note to it.
- Also seems to have much less clutch clatter when engaging first gear.

Bottom line, most of the nagging problems with the 1200 do indeed seem to have resolved.

I'm happy. Supposed to snow tomorrow, but if the roads are clear, maybe I can give it a better work out on Monday.

Don Goldberg

P.S. I'm told this is the first sale of the 1300Gt at Manhattan BMW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2009, 4:25 pm
Rookie

first test ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongold
Bottom line, most of the nagging problems with the 1200 do indeed seem to have resolved.

I'm happy. Supposed to snow tomorrow, but if the roads are clear, maybe I can give it a better work out on Monday.

Don Goldberg

Luck you. I have the new Royal Blue in the garage. Been there for several weeks, but living in Minnesota, I guess it will be a few months before I can get out on the roads. Just letting the bike idle in the garage for abit, I can tell the fueling has changed. I can set the throttle at 1400, 1700. or 2100 rpm's with little difficulty. I couldn't do this on my '07, even after I had the new airbox installed. It was just too sensitive for me. I also can tell that the exhaust note is a little deeper. I did notice that it onlly has one external power outlet. I think my '07 had two, but maybe one wasn't hooked up. I just can't remember. I already have it wired for my Zumo, put on additional power outlet (by-passing canbus), put on a new Stebel airhorn, got an engage tank bag and Ztech protectors for the tank on order from Pirates Lair. That's about all I plan on doing. Just need the snow to melt so I can put some miles on her. Had to have dealer deliver it to my house.

Rick
'09 K1300GT
Royal Blue

Last edited by Meese; Feb 21st, 2009 at 8:19 pm. Reason: fixed quote tags
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2009, 4:43 pm Thread Starter

Beats an empty garage

Hey, it beats a totally empty garage. I remember when I sold my GL1500, and had to wait several months, over the winter, for the new GL1800 that I bought sight unseen to arrive. Just knowing I did not have _any_ motorcycle in the garage almost drove me into a state of clinical depression! Even though I would not have been able to ride anyway!<g>

At least you can go out to your garage, climb on, and go "varoom, varoom!"

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2009, 9:23 pm
Capn' Blowhard

Don,

Congrats! Would love to hear more of your impressions as the miles rack up. In particular, how is the transmission compared to your GT? Is the clunk still there? Better but not great? All good now, Japanese bike smooth?

'07 BMW K1200GT
'06 Ducati Classic Sport 1000 Monoposto
K7 GSX-R 1000
"Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones, an emptiness began to grow. There's something out there, far from my home, a longing that I've never known..."
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 6:22 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus-6
Don,

Congrats! Would love to hear more of your impressions as the miles rack up. In particular, how is the transmission compared to your GT? Is the clunk still there? Better but not great? All good now, Japanese bike smooth?
So far, all I can say is that the annoying grinding when engaging first is either gone or greatly diminished. I did notice that downshifting into 2nd and first seemed a little stiff, but, again, I don't think I have enough miles on it to be fair.

Don G
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 5:26 pm
Veteran

Congrats on the purchase. However there should be a law some where that says you need to ride at least a few hundred miles in the first day or two. 50 miles........for shame. Wait till you actually get it to a place that you can really open it up and let it shine, you'll love it.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2009, 2:49 pm

That's cool! Congrats on your purchase.

So I rode one last week.

First, the difference between the K1300GT and the K1200GT is more subtle than between the K1200S and K1300S.

Power delivery is a bit smoother and the bike finally doesn't feel like it's 'struggling' or needs to be revved higher to get to the powerband. Don't get me wrong, the K1200GT has plenty, but with my commute on the K1200R, I can't help but to compare the power delivery to that. Overall, the K1300 series engines have a bit more relaxed characteristics, more instant power compared to the K1200 engines.

The most obvious improvement that I could feel is the ride/suspension. I always feel that I'm in between Single/Single+Luggage on the preload. Riding in Comfort mode, the bike would bounce a bit too much for my liking. The ESA II somehow sorted this out better where I could leave it on Single Rider. It does a noticeably better job soaking up the bumps.

Transmission seems easier to kick in. Clutch response is better too. I found that it's easier to shift on the K1300GT.

"Today's cars are the most complex, sophisticated machines ever to be places in the hands of inexpert operators.", Richard Parry-Jones on what's really holding back the automobile
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2009, 8:03 pm
Noob

Congratulations on your purchase.
Good to hear the feedback on the 09. I am planning to do a test ride on the new 09 1300 soon in Livermore CA.

I have a K1200GT 06 and have had a few issues. Throttle sensitivity causing engine to speed up which led to an Air box change. They (Sacramento Area) really struggled with this one because I wound up taking it back three times. They had the bike over a month waiting for the box. Then just recently I took the bike to a dealer to check out some electrical issue and during their check they discovered the ESA system was out and had to replace the front strut. I thought for some time that it didn't feel right but figured it was just me since there were no indications of faliure on the instrument panel and all position selections showed no errors.

With all of that fixed the bike now runs and handles pretty good but I need to make the comparison and maybe a decision to upgrade??? $$$$$

K75RT 91(sold in 08) good ole bike though
K1200GT 06
KLR650 08 green

Keep it up on two.

Last edited by k1200gt06tmw; Mar 6th, 2009 at 8:10 pm.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2009, 6:07 pm

OK, I shouldn't have to say this

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2009, 6:07 pm

1st ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongold
Well, I picked up the new K1300GT this morning, and rode it home from Manhattan to NW NJ--only about 50 miles. (traded in my 06 K1200GT) Not much of a true test ride, but here are some initial impressions:

- The red color isn't that bad. In the sun, reminds me of my old 01 GL1800 "illusion" red. It wasn't my first choice, but I like it.
- Throttle response is definitely much smoother! Was caught in some stop and go traffic for awhile, and there is a marked improvement. Very noticable.
- The bike felt lighter, leaning into curves very effortlessly.
- All it took was the first attempt to activate left turn signal to put me back into "japanese bike mode!" You hit the horn inadvertantly. <g> After that, not one mistep. Remarkable how quickly you fall back into the previous style. I like it much better. In fact, I like the controls better over all. Intuitive, cleanly laid out, functional. (once you figure out where the headlight switch is!<g>)
- Maybe my imagination, but the exhaust has a deeper, throaty note to it.
- Also seems to have much less clutch clatter when engaging first gear.

Don Goldberg

I am a Harley rider so not very good at comparing older Bmw's..have a red also..put 1700 miles on it ..nice bike..good acceleration at 85-90mph..shifting seemed fine to me..downshifts nicely ..had starting problem as described above ..so will see if it gets resolved..I think you will enjoy it..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode