Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mendham, NJ, USA
K1300GT in the garage: first impressions
Well, I picked up the new K1300GT this morning, and rode it home from Manhattan to NW NJ--only about 50 miles. (traded in my 06 K1200GT) Not much of a true test ride, but here are some initial impressions:
- The red color isn't that bad. In the sun, reminds me of my old 01 GL1800 "illusion" red. It wasn't my first choice, but I like it.
- Throttle response is definitely much smoother! Was caught in some stop and go traffic for awhile, and there is a marked improvement. Very noticable.
- The bike felt lighter, leaning into curves very effortlessly.
- All it took was the first attempt to activate left turn signal to put me back into "japanese bike mode!" You hit the horn inadvertantly. <g> After that, not one mistep. Remarkable how quickly you fall back into the previous style. I like it much better. In fact, I like the controls better over all. Intuitive, cleanly laid out, functional. (once you figure out where the headlight switch is!<g>)
- Maybe my imagination, but the exhaust has a deeper, throaty note to it.
- Also seems to have much less clutch clatter when engaging first gear.
Bottom line, most of the nagging problems with the 1200 do indeed seem to have resolved.
I'm happy. Supposed to snow tomorrow, but if the roads are clear, maybe I can give it a better work out on Monday.
P.S. I'm told this is the first sale of the 1300Gt at Manhattan BMW.